PDA

View Full Version : Hitmen for Destiny

T-O-E
2009-01-10, 03:46 PM
I made a new thread because the other (made by the author of the comic) is over a year old.
Hitmen for Destiny (http://www.webcomicsnation.com/thorsby/destiny/series.php?view=archive&chapter=24643)
Minor swearing, if you're offended by stuff like that.

Grammatical errors are abundant, the art is considered ugly and the dialogue doesn't feel right.

But, it's original, imaginative and fun to read.

If you have some free time, I'd advise you to archive binge it.

Opinions?

Neon Knight
2009-01-11, 03:50 PM
The dialogue is poor, the art is unappealing, and these problems of presentation bury any redeeming features of the work like a thick, noxious industrial haze obscuring the midnight sky.

The core idea (or at least what I was able to grasp of it; I didn't read it all) of abstract forces like destiny outsourcing enforcement to paid killers isn't particularly new, and applying the term imaginative to it might be something of a misnomer. Bizarre or gonzo suit it much better.

Overall, I'd say that there's nothing wrong with it on paper, but the execution is simply not well done enough to keep my interest.

Sanjay
2009-01-11, 05:15 PM
I absolutely adore this strip. If you want to know why the term "imaginative" is used to frequently describing the strip, read the comics long enough to get to the amazing creatures Øyvind has created for his story. And it's a smart comic too. Though the genre is fantasy, there is enough understanding of evolutionary forces and adaptation that the fantastic creatures have this really delightful hint of realism.

As for the dialogue, I'm not sure if English is Øyvind's first language. The writing has a larger than usual share of spelling errors and maybe a few grammatical errors. But honestly, I like the dialogue. Each character has his or her own manner of speaking and, especially with the shapeshifter, he does a lovely job of conveying things about a character through the way he speaks.

And as for the art, I guess I'm not that picky of a reader when it comes to art. I kind of like it. Not that many MS Paint comics (I think that is what he uses) have the level of sophistication this comic has.

It's the only continuous story comic I keep up with besides Order of the Stick. I'm much more of a joke a day kind of person.

idksocrates
2009-01-11, 10:09 PM
I agree - i don't think Kasrkin gave the strip a fair shake. The art is certainly not a big draw, but it does a fair job of conveying the story, and it really is a fun strip. The shapeshifter is one of my favorite characters.

Thorsby
2009-01-23, 10:23 PM
I make this comic. Thanks for the comments.

TheDeeMan
2009-01-26, 01:17 AM
Hitmen for Destiny? Sounds like the book/movie "Wanted".

Dee

Thorsby
2009-01-26, 06:25 PM
Haven't seen Wanted, but from what I've read about it I don't it's very similar.