PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Drow NPC Help, bitte.

esorscher
2009-01-10, 04:29 PM
I have the following levels for an NPC I'm building.

She's the head of the Church of the Lolth in her city; 5 levels of Cleric, 3 levels of Divine Oracle, NE or CE alignment.

Any ideas for other classes/ PrCs I should have her have levels in?

MeklorIlavator
2009-01-10, 04:34 PM
What do you want her to be able to do? What level? Any specific house rules? What's the party that faces here going to be like?

Keld Denar
2009-01-10, 04:38 PM
What total level do you envision her? What role do you see her taking in combat? Do you want her to mix it up in melee and/or hang back and cast? Is she a solo encounter, or will she have fodder/males? What level PCs do you have, and what are there classes/tactics? Just how difficult do you want this to be? BBEG, LBEG, random kill this chick fodder?

Also, what books do you have available, so we don't recommend anything you can't reference yourself?

MOAR INFO!

esorscher
2009-01-10, 04:40 PM
What do you want her to be able to do? What level? Any specific house rules? What's the party that faces here going to be like?

I want her to be able to cast controlling/ divining spells, have access to a lot of domain granted power (I was going to go contemplative, but need two more ranks in Knowledge Religion before, so I need two levels in classes that provide that).

I want her to be around level 16, give or take 2 levels.

No specific house rules.

This is for a campaign way in the future, so I don't know the party formation yet.

Keld Denar
2009-01-11, 12:19 AM
Hmmm, since its an NPC, we can neglect drow's +2 LA...

Matron Mother Ki-Rundle (I made it up)
Drow Cleric5/Divine Oracle5/Contemplative6
Domains - Trickery, Darkness, Oracle, Evil, Spider
Alt Class Features - Spontaneous Domain: Darkness
Feats

1 Divine Spell Power
3 Extend Spell
6 Sculpt Spell
9 Quicken Spell
12 Minor Shapeshift (Complete Mage)
15 Spell Focus: Evocation (for Darkbolt)

Now, starts combat Invisible, thanks to Trickery Domain 2nd level spell. Mooks should be out and about. Area should be Unhallowed and Desecrated, which are tied to an alter to Lolth. Sometime when the PCs aren't looking, activate a Bead of Karma, part of a Strand of Prayer Beads. This should let you open combat the next round with a Blasphemy, using Divine Spell Power. Assuming decent cha, and given that the area is Desecrated to Lolth, the turn check should be pretty high, resulting in a nice CL bump. Evil domain also gives a +1 CL bump, and the bead gives +4. Thus, you should knock off a CL ~25 Blasphemy. Hmmm, maybe thats a bit high, considering it would auto-kill any PC level 15 or lower who isn't evil. OK, nix the Bead of Kara. This'll still get you to CL 21, which will paralyse any non-evil PCs for 1d10 minutes. Thats plenty enough time to monlogue about infinite spiders eternally devouring flesh yadda yadda yadda. Typical drow priestess stuff. Try to be as gorey as you can without going over the top. Mooks should be menacing and whatnot. After 1 minute (minimum roll, you can fudge it) the Blasphemy wears off. Thats when the real fun begins. Priests should probably open with a Quickened Unholy Blight, trying to catch as many PCs as possible, which gets the save bump from Spell Focus: Evocation. Then she'll toss out a Darkbolt, which at CL16, gives her 8 bolts. If you have 4 PCs, thats 2 bolts each for 4d8 + will save vs stun twice. If they failed against the Unholy Blight, the Sickened Condition worstens that save by 2. Mooks should close and engage. 2nd round, probably a good idea to do cast Stone Spiders, a level 7 Spider domain spell from Spell Compendium. This will get some more mooks out on the table for the PCs to wade through. Also, if she's taken any damage, gain some more temp hp from Minor Shapeshift. 3rd round, Darkbolt again, anyone who looks like a threat should get the bulk of the bolts. If you want, hold a couple bolts back to use next round. Maybe cast a Quickened spell, like a Quickend Wall of Stone to trap a wizardy type if he proves to be a pain and keeps making will saves. Oh, and mooks and spiders should be muching happily on PCs. Next round, more Darkbolts, from your previous casting, or a new one if you so desire. Try to keep a healer busy, or take the healer down. Use a PW: Blind from the Darkness Domain 8 if you feel you can hit one of their meleers that you've inflicted some damage on with Darkbolts and mooks. That should be pretty good. From there, just improvise.

As for her, buff buff buff. She should have a Hero's Feast active for her and all her mooks. She should have Magic Vestiments cast twice at CL20 on her Drow Adamantine Chain and Shield, netting a hefty AC. Extended Mass Conviction and Extended Mass Shield of Faith should also be up on her and her mooks. She should also have Death Ward and Freedom of Movement running, all CL 20ish from the Bead of Karma (use it then, not for the Blasphemy, that would be toooooo much). Hmmm, probably some other buffs, but that's about all I can think of at the moment. Go wild, have fun. Should be a pretty tough encounter for a group of 4-5 level 13-14 PCs. For mooks, provided you don't want to do too much work on em, something like Rogue3/Swashbuckler8 with Daring Outlaw for 6d6 SA should be low enough level to not really count into the CR, but high enough in effectiveness to hit and contribute. Make em duel wield short swords in true drow fasion, probably with a Greater Magic Weapon (CL20) chained (Metamagic Rod) on all of their weapons. She could hit 20 weapons, so thats up to 10 mooks, 2 weapons each, or she could go with 9 mooks and enchant her Spider whip as well, in case she wants to cast Divine Powah + Quickened Divine Favor and mix it up in melee.

RAWR!

RTGoodman
2009-01-11, 12:59 AM
If you've got a copy of Exemplars of Evil handy, check out the Cleric variant in there - it gets rid of Rebuke Undead (read: useless) and replaces it with a negative energy burst attack. It's probably worth it unless, you know, there'll be a lot of Undead around.

There's also a Lolth-Touched template in... somewhere (MMIV or Drow of the Underdark or something) that gives some hefty bonuses for LA +1, but as a DM you probably won't have to worry about it. It'll make her a bit stronger in melee (with the +6 Str/Con), and makes her slightly more "unique" as an opponent.

Keld Denar
2009-01-11, 01:57 AM
If you've got a copy of Exemplars of Evil handy, check out the Cleric variant in there - it gets rid of Rebuke Undead (read: useless) and replaces it with a negative energy burst attack. It's probably worth it unless, you know, there'll be a lot of Undead around.

My build uses Divine Spell Power to increase CL of her spells, which can easily reasult in CL20 spells from all of her casts. Thats, combined with high level spells is worth more than doing a bit of negative energy damage, unless its like, 1d6 per effective turning level, which would be pretty sick.

Still, not a bad idea if I wasn't already burning rebuke attempts for cool ****.