PDA

View Full Version : Linux Help: Connecting to the web?

Lupy
2009-01-10, 08:27 PM
Hi everyone!

Recently, since I know a good bit about windows, I decided to download and try Linux, for something new to do. I chose Ubuntu 8.10 after reading for a few days, but I have a Fedora 10 disc in case I decide GNOME is not for me. I like the interface of GNOME, and I love the open source appeal. However, I cannot connect to the internet.

I have an Atheros AR5007 802.11b/g WiFi card. I use WPA-psk protection on my network, and the wireless modem is a Netgear.

I have tried creating a wireless network card, that didn't help. I tried going into administration and clicking Network Management, that didn't help, I ensured that I had the Atheros drivers turned on, I do. After that, I had exhausted the built in help, and so I come to you, playground.

Thanks guys, I know you can help me,
Lupy.

valadil
2009-01-10, 09:26 PM
You might need to explicitly installed drivers for that card. If there aren't any for linux you can use ndiswrapper to use windows ones. As far as I'm aware you will need to use the command line for that. The command is something to the effect of "ndiswrapper -i /path/to/driver_file.inf". You will need to plug into a wired connection to install ndiswrapper (or it might be on the CD but I've never checked).

I've found the network manager in Ubuntu to be a little flaky. I'm surprised they ship with it to be honest. I know that 8.04 had a bug where it couldn't remember wpa2 and always reverted to wpa1. I think that bug got fixed, but it's still not great. My laptop usually needs me to switch to another network, then back to mine with WPA. I live near a college so there are plenty of open networks around for switching purposes.

charl
2009-01-10, 10:30 PM
Yeah... that's one of the things about linux that still doesn't work that great. I would suggest the ubuntu support forum. It usually has the solution to all and any problems you can run into, and mostly you only have to search to find someone who has already had you problem and fixed it.

RandomLogic
2009-01-11, 12:22 AM
Can you connect to your router/modem/local network? Its just specifically the internet that doesn't work?

I know Fedora, but try going to network manager, find the ethX that matches the wireless card, edit properties and make sure that 'Use DHCP ......' is checked. Then save the settings and try activating the link.

Good luck.