PDA

View Full Version : Most Annoying Character

Llama231
2009-01-10, 09:50 PM
I have not seen a thread like this yet besides complaining about Celia, and I wonder: what is everyone's character they are/were most annoyed by? Does everyone hate Celia the most, or is that just the current fad?

Quorothorn
2009-01-10, 09:53 PM
Eugene. He's been self-righteous and annoying longer than anybody. :smallwink:

The Neoclassic
2009-01-10, 09:56 PM
Yeah, Eugene takes the cake. Actually, Miko did while she was alive (I despised her), but of those left, it's Eugene. Celia pisses me off now, but she was cool at the beginning, so I'm not going too complain... too much.

Optimystik
2009-01-10, 09:59 PM
For me it's Julia, if she was around more often she'd easily beat Celia in the annoyance department. While Eugene is bad he's at least getting his just desserts.

TDG
2009-01-10, 10:24 PM
Celia - the last useful thing she's done is tell Haley about Cloister. She should have just done that and died.

Berserk Monk
2009-01-10, 10:50 PM
Well, I do disdain Celia the most, but since I don't want this to turn into yet another anti-Celia thread, Tsukiko is in 2nd. She's the least powerful character (as in not another generic minion) of team evil, and the undead jokes (yeah, she likes them, as in like-likes) gets tired after awhile. Also, I like Red Cloak and the two of them are sort of enemies working under the same leader. Plus she stole the MitD's joke:
:mitd: "Gate? What Gate?"

As for Eugene, I like him. It's funny to see him mock Roy.

Assassin89
2009-01-10, 10:52 PM
High on the list are Eugene and Julia. Their arrogance would create annoyance from my own D&D group, especially the sorcerer.

Zevox
2009-01-10, 10:53 PM
:miko:

No question about it. Nobody even comes close to touching her in this area.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go back to dancing on her grave.

Zevox

Liwen
2009-01-10, 11:09 PM
:miko:

No question about it. Nobody even comes close to touching her in this area.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go back to dancing on her grave.

Zevox

*Joins the dancing*

I actually like Eugene. He can toss a few goods jokes from time to time.

Celia is annoying at the moment, but not unless annoying. She DID arranged for Roy to be rezzed, allthough I fully expect a double-cross at some point.

Lunaya
2009-01-10, 11:36 PM
Going in order and starting with the most annoying, I'd have to go: Eugene, Celia, Miko. Julia's a teenager, so I'll cut her a little slack.

ShadowPenguin
2009-01-10, 11:52 PM
Eugene and Miko. *joins the dancing with Liwen and Zevox* :smallbiggrin:

Zelthax
2009-01-11, 12:11 AM
I'd have to say Miko and Celia. Eugene isn't really annyoing to me. A pain sometimes, but not really annoying.

*Joins Zevox, Liwen, and ShadowPenguin in the Dance of Miko's Death*

Optimystik
2009-01-11, 12:15 AM
*Rolls eyes at the dancers*

Miko took down both the Order and Redcloak. Nobody short of Xykon himself has matched that feat. For that level of asskickery I rate her ahead of Celia at this point.

But like I said, Julia out-annoys both of them.

Berserk Monk
2009-01-11, 12:18 AM
*Rolls eyes at the dancers*

Miko took down both the Order and Redcloak. Nobody short of Xykon himself has matched that feat. For that level of asskickery I rate her ahead of Celia at this point.

But like I said, Julia out-annoys both of them.

Roy took her down in this strip. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0409.html)

Lunaya
2009-01-11, 12:19 AM
Yeah, with Eugene I think it's just that he reminds me too much of my dad. Arrogant blowhard = really annoying. :smallyuk:

Miko I kinda feel bad for...just a teensy weensy bit. I have trouble getting too ticked off at someone who's that emotionally unstable.

EyethatBinds
2009-01-11, 12:47 AM
Happosai... or did you mean in the comic?

Optimystik
2009-01-11, 12:52 AM
Roy took her down in this strip. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0409.html)

True, yet irrelevant. His weapon was superior, the final blow was struck while she was fighting someone else... oh yeah, and she had no powers either.

FoE
2009-01-11, 01:50 AM
True, yet irrelevant. His weapon was superior, the final blow was struck while she was fighting someone else... oh yeah, and she had no powers either.

And she defeated Roy when he didn't have his family's sword. We never really saw who could kick who's ass in a fair fight.

TheSummoner
2009-01-11, 05:59 AM
That doesn't change the fact that Miko took out (disadvantaged) Roy, Haley, Elan, V, AND Belkar 5 on 1 (or 5 on 2 if you count her horse)... twice...

*puts on fireproof underwear* I actually thought Miko was an interesting character... I wouldn't take it as far to say I liked her, but I never disliked her either.

Right now Celia is in the spotlight for being annoying, so shes the obvious answer, but if she went out of the spotlight for a while, I'd probably end up rating Julia most annoying... Eugene is just a jerk, but I don't find him particularly annoying. Tsukiko... never bothered me, I actually thought her bumbling was pretty funny, she can actually justify not knowing about the gates considering no ones ever told her...

T-O-E
2009-01-11, 06:59 AM
I'm not annoyed by the characters in the comic. Maybe Elan at the beginning, but now I like him.

Puppeteer
2009-01-11, 07:31 AM
Celia.
Nobody else.

Lissou
2009-01-11, 08:37 AM
Mmm... I'm not sure. I don't find most of the characters annoying. I found V the most uninteresting but lately it's been changing. I was glad when therkla got out of the picture because I never liked her story-arc. I never cared for Miko one way or the other, and I actually like Celia.

As for Eugene, I don't find him annoying as a character. As a person, he would definitely be. Same for Julia I'd say.

3Power
2009-01-11, 08:37 AM
Miko may have been annoying, but that was the point of her character, you could say the same thing about elan, but both have proven themselves competent in their own ways. At the moment, Celia and V are the biggest annoyances, because they're acting Out-of-character to what they've previously been established as, and they're completely lacking in common sense.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to mention, Roy.

NO PURPOSE is served by him going down and commenting on everything ever since he learned they couldn't see him. When he first went down? Sure. When he wanted to see if the oracle could see him? Sure. But he adds nothing to the most recent strips where it seems he went down just for the sake of it.

Selene
2009-01-11, 08:59 AM
Miko may have been annoying, but that was the point of her character

Which sort of gives credence to the idea of her being the most annoying.

The Minx
2009-01-11, 09:54 AM
EDIT: Oh, I forgot to mention, Roy.

NO PURPOSE is served by him going down and commenting on everything ever since he learned they couldn't see him. When he first went down? Sure. When he wanted to see if the oracle could see him? Sure. But he adds nothing to the most recent strips where it seems he went down just for the sake of it.

Purpose was served by having us laugh at his comments. He's there as the unseen, unheard sarcastic commentator right now. Besides, it's not like he has anything better to do at the moment, except endure more of his dad's company, or risk losing time on the mountain again.

WinterSolstice
2009-01-11, 09:54 AM
My first time through the series, I thought Miko was the most annoying, possibly tied with Eugene, maybe Nale in 2nd/3rd place.

Reading through the series again....I can almost stand to like Miko.
Kubota was an absolute bastard, Nale is a smug jackass and I would place Eugene in that category as well,

and frankly, I don't see how Celia's baseless devotion to "Goodness" and her inane and naive notions of pacifism and how the "Adventuring" world works are ANY less repugnant than Miko's devotion to the uhh...paladin code..at least apparently till' the end.

Shojo's death was caused by Miko. Directly. But by doing so, in a grossly indirect way....she apparently caused Belkar to change his ways (due to Shojo's "spirit" speaking with Belkar)

Roy's death was caused by a combination of Celia's ditziness....and falling/spell damage (MAYBE Belkar as well, but Roy took the ring of jumping, knowing full well might happen as a result).

Celia far and away for most annoying character. At least there's been a bit of evidence revealed that she won't be around to the end.

Nerdanel
2009-01-11, 10:31 AM
Celia.

By far.

bue52
2009-01-11, 11:20 AM
For me in real life, I'd say I'd hate Eugene, the way he acts really wants me to make him as Snarl bait, I mean seriously, his attitude and immaturity is astounding. Oh and till now I still do not see what is so horrible about Celia, and please do not try to convince me, I think that should be done in the strip discussion thread.

ChaosDefender24
2009-01-11, 12:00 PM
Miko and Celia seem to be pretty heartless, but I've had the satisfaction of seeing Miko die without redemption. So, the wretched sylph.

Morty
2009-01-11, 12:12 PM
And she defeated Roy when he didn't have his family's sword. We never really saw who could kick who's ass in a fair fight.

Funny thing is, the only ability that'd help Miko against Roy that she lost when Falling was Lay on Hands. But that's a preety major help, so I guess it counts.
Anyway, no character really annoys me as a person, but if I were to live in OoTSverse and meet them myself, I'd say Miko and Julia would be the most annoying. Julia would be more infuriating, though- Miko, as a high-level paladin has got a reason, weak as it is, to be arrogant. Juila, as a barely trained wizard, has none.

hamishspence
2009-01-11, 12:16 PM
celia has plenty of heart, she just lavishes it on people who don't always deserve it- getting somewhat upset at Belkar killing a hobgoblin, a gnome, and the oracle, and seeking to ensure that as many as possible on both sides come out alive of the Order/Thieves guild dispute comes out alive, even if they got killed part way though.

As far as we know, Haley hasn't told her about her dad (implausible to have done so since she hasn't told anyone in the order either) All she knows is Haley is a thief.

Optimystik
2009-01-11, 12:18 PM
Funny thing is, the only ability that'd help Miko against Roy that she lost when Falling was Lay on Hands. But that's a preety major help, so I guess it counts.

She lost all her healing spells, not just LoH. And there were some other very useful buffs that she lost also, including Bless, Divine Favor, Bull's Strength, Eagle's Splendor, and more if she had a Wis score above 12 (which she very likely did).

Morty
2009-01-11, 12:22 PM
She lost all her healing spells, not just LoH. And there were some other very useful buffs that she lost also, including Bless, Divine Favor, Bull's Strength, Eagle's Splendor, and more if she had a Wis score above 12 (which she very likely did).

True. I sort of forgot about it, because I don't think I've ever seen a paladin cast a spell in OoTS. So yeah, Miko was preety much screwed after falling.

3Power
2009-01-11, 12:22 PM
Purpose was served by having us laugh at his comments.
People laughed?

Firewind
2009-01-11, 12:38 PM
Celia by far. This is why:

Her own idiocy indirectly lead to the death of her boyfriend. She lacked even basic knowledge of basic human biology and gave Roy a locket that only a Lv6 or Higher Wizard or Sorcerer can break. To be a lawyer she needs a high int score yet she seems to have no idea how the bodies of one of the most common races on the planet works.
She has done nothing useful other than telling Haley about the cloister spell. But she was a total jerkass about it. She assumed that Haley, a Rouge, a class that has absolutely no arcane knowledge or abilities outside the "Use magical Item" skill would instantly know that a PC created spell that SHE HADN'T EVEN HEARD OF is in effect.
Her total refusal to engage in even self defence is jarring to just about everyone around. She seems perfectly willing to stand by her own technical pacifist beliefs yet she has no objections with forcing other people to betray their own beliefs.
She's been flanderised into a Lisa Simpson esque Soapbox Sadie to the point where she will completely ignore all other opinions and options even if such advice would save her life. Like Haley's advice to avoid Greysky like the plague.
She only seems to be there to preach now. I don't see any other dimensions to her character.
She entered a negotiation with the Thieves Guild when Belkar and Haley had the guild on their knees.
Instead of asking the guild to stop trying to kill Haley she has essentially sold out her friend and bound her to the guild essentially forcing her freind into servitude for her own personal gain.
She just pretty much has Haley pay to have the entire guild raises who have nothing to lose and every justification to simply have Haley killed thereafter.
She's a lawful character who just made a pact with chaotic characters who have no issues with using evil ends (murder, extortion, intimidation) to achieve their means and she KNOWS this yet her alignment is STILL Lawful Good.
The terms of the contract she were favourable to the losers of the entire fight. She knew full well that there were very few guild members left alive at the end of the fight. Well other than the low level ones too scared to commit suicide for Bozzok.
She didn't ask for Roy to be raised. She just simply used the contract as a way to force her own beliefs on Haley without any consideration as to how Haley even feels.

Optimystik
2009-01-11, 12:50 PM
True. I sort of forgot about it, because I don't think I've ever seen a paladin cast a spell in OoTS. So yeah, Miko was preety much screwed after falling.

She heals herself (and mentions the paladins' repertoire of heals) when chasing Belkar here. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0270.html)

Trixie
2009-01-11, 12:52 PM
Durkon.

He tends to behave like an idiot/zealot, a combination of utmost revulsion to me :smallmad:

Morty
2009-01-11, 12:52 PM
She heals herself (and mentions the paladins' repertoire of heals) when chasing Belkar here. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0270.html)

I was under the impression she used Lay on Hands here, as she didn't say "Cure Light Wounds" or the name of any other Cure spell.

Captain Six
2009-01-11, 12:55 PM
Probably Roy. I like all the characters but he's the only one who bothers me a little. Miko may have gone psycho on everyone but she got what was coming to her and Celia more or less represents a real world mindset thrust into that of D&D which, at least to me, means that she's the ONLY one who's right in this world. Roy on the other hand lies to his party to get what he wants, is a complete jerk to Elan because Elan is "annoying", which is something I just don't see it, including leaving him to his own fate in the bandit camp. Roy said he was sorry and everyone forgave him without consequence, even a freakin' angel who is supposed to judge him on that sort of thing. He was also a complete jerk to Miko while she was still a selfless if somewhat stubborn and antisocial paladin probably co-starting her spiraling decent into falling alongside Belkar. So... Out of every character in the comic, as far as I'm concerned, Roy has gotten away with the most Jerkery while being sung endless praise for his great leadership skills and representation of the Lawful Good alignment.

A close second might be Roy's mom, Eugine was portrayed as immoral for having a girlfriend while waiting to reach the afterlife but Roy's mom, as was best put by the Oracle, "Whored up the whole afterlife." pretty much for comic effect. I mean, what if in a rare moment of his Lawful Good shining through Eugine had stayed loyal to his wife for all those years of near-solitude only to find that going on? It's not like she had any way to know about what was going on. She's a bit to minor to be first but I've always been overly sensitive to romantic strife and betrayal.

Well, that was me, looking too deep into everything as usual. Proceed.

David Argall
2009-01-11, 03:51 PM
Now let's define "annoying" a little. Here, I'd say it means the character who makes you want to skip the strip. And under that definition I doubt there is a character worth mentioning who is annoying. I'd like to read more about all of them.

I do notice a distinct lack of Xykon and Redcloak, our chief evils. why are they not annoyances while good people are?

Rotipher
2009-01-11, 04:04 PM
Some of the minor characters have been pretty darned annoying too. That little half-elf twerp who'd briefly joined the LG, for one; Crystal, for another.

teratorn
2009-01-11, 04:12 PM
Elan. The strip wouldn't miss much by his absence. He's as dumb as box of mouldy carrots.

Leta
2009-01-11, 04:23 PM
Now let's define "annoying" a little. Here, I'd say it means the character who makes you want to skip the strip. And under that definition I doubt there is a character worth mentioning who is annoying. I'd like to read more about all of them.

I do notice a distinct lack of Xykon and Redcloak, our chief evils. why are they not annoyances while good people are?All the world loves a good villain.

WinterSolstice
2009-01-11, 04:30 PM
Elan. The strip wouldn't miss much by his absence. He's as dumb as box of mouldy carrots.

He's improved by leaps and bounds since strip 1, especially since being forced into a quasi-leadership role after Roy's death.

teratorn
2009-01-11, 04:47 PM
He's improved by leaps and bounds since strip 1, especially since being forced into a quasi-leadership role after Roy's death.

??? When did you see the quasi-leadership? I saw some of the most moronic Elan ever.

Optimystik
2009-01-11, 06:36 PM
I was under the impression she used Lay on Hands here, as she didn't say "Cure Light Wounds" or the name of any other Cure spell.

Belkar comments that she'll run out "eventually", not that she already used her only heal. In addition, she says there are clerics and paladins that can heal her. Nevertheless, I can see why you would have forgotten paladin magic in this setting, it really hasn't been promoted very much.

WinterSolstice
2009-01-11, 07:06 PM
??? When did you see the quasi-leadership? I saw some of the most moronic Elan ever.

He took charge with Kubota, and made a difficult decision regarding V.
Do you honestly believe anything he's done in the last 100 strips is anywhere as "moronic" as THIS?
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0027.html

come on. He can only go up from there

A Quiet Person
2009-01-11, 08:06 PM
Kubota.

Good villains are one of the strongest points of OoTS; few people find the main villainous characters - like Nale, Redcloak and Xykon - annoying, and with good reason. They're drama-savvy, resourceful and funny.

Then Kubota comes along, like the extra cook who spoils the broth. One of the problems that he had was that he didn't really have any great comic moments. Also, his timing was unfortunate for the character. His role in the story surfaced around the time that Azure City fell, and also around the time that Start of Darkness came out. So, just as a lot of the readers are realising how much is at stake in Xykon and Redcloak's plans, and also how dramatic their stories are, we are presented with Kubota.

He tried to be the villain with a masterplan in a strip that already had three major scheming villains. He was too late to snag the title of "magnificent bastard", and so he just came across as smug and annoying.

I think that one of the reasons why a story development in which V simply obliterated Kubota out of hand worked so well was because he was a tiresome character. To me, Kubota's death seemed to serve two purposes: it showed the degeneration of V, but it also showed V demonstrating an awareness of how redundant to the story Kubota was.

Assassin89
2009-01-11, 08:13 PM
Kubota.

Good villains are one of the strongest points of OoTS; few people find the main villainous characters - like Nale, Redcloak and Xykon - annoying, and with good reason. They're drama-savvy, resourceful and funny.

Then Kubota comes along, like the extra cook who spoils the broth. One of the problems that he had was that he didn't really have any great comic moments. Also, his timing was unfortunate for the character. His role in the story surfaced around the time that Azure City fell, and also around the time that Start of Darkness came out. So, just as a lot of the readers are realizing how much is as stake in Xykon and Redcloak's plans, and also how dramatic their stories are, we are presented with Kubota.

He tried to be the villain with a masterplan in a strip that already had three major scheming villains. He was too late to snag the title of "magnificent bastard", and so he just came across as smug and annoying.

I think that one of the reasons why a story development in which V simply obliterated Kubota out of hand worked so well was because he was a tiresome character. To me, Kubota's death seemed to serve two purposes: it showed the degeneration of V, but it also showed V demonstrating an awareness of how redundant to the story Kubota was.

I think you forget the rule that for every well designed adversary, there are going to be pathetic one such as Baron Pineapple and the Holey Order.

Although he is comedy gold, Xykon does become annoying if you realize his methods are detrimental to long term success.

If I was forced to travel with one member from the comic as part of my D&D group, I would find Miko annoying as she would attempt to smite everyone starting with the sorcerer and goblin. Eugene's lack of conviction to a task would cause me to beat him for not sticking to the adventure. Julia's arrogance would force me to give her the Durkon treatment. Celia's attitude might annoy me, but that is relatively minor.

In other words, each character has traits that annoy a person, but the reasons differ for each person.

Kish
2009-01-11, 08:24 PM
He took charge with Kubota, and made a difficult decision regarding V.
Do you honestly believe anything he's done in the last 100 strips is anywhere as "moronic" as THIS?
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0027.html

come on. He can only go up from there
Really, now. Nudity taboos and "please cast blindness on me" are all very well, but seriously speaking that doesn't place compared to all the times Elan's done something stupid that actually hurt or endangered someone, from nearly blowing up the Dungeon of Dorukan with the Order in it to (OotPCs spoiler) any of the things he did to his former master.

Quorothorn
2009-01-11, 09:24 PM

I do notice a distinct lack of Xykon and Redcloak, our chief evils. why are they not annoyances while good people are?

Because Xykon is incredibly funny and Redcloak is funny and sympathetic. Also, Xykon is the Big Bad, so it is expected when he does evil and screws with the goodies: when other goodies screw with their fellows is when people seem to get pissed off. Or when a baddie simply breaks the scale of villainous deeds, which Xykon has actually done several times, but he has such high ranks in Awesome and Comedy it seems few can place him in the "annoyance" category.

Anyway, by your definition of 'annoying', no character qualifies for me. But that's an awfully constricted definition, isn't it?

David Argall
2009-01-12, 12:02 AM
by your definition of 'annoying', no character qualifies for me. But that's an awfully constricted definition, isn't it?
Nope. It suggests you don't see much that is actually annoying. And given you are still reading and posting here, that seems reasonable.

TheSummoner
2009-01-12, 12:54 AM
As much as I'm mad at Celia right now, its not fair to say she caused Roy's death with her stupidity. Unless I read it wrong, Xykon was the one who blasted Roy out of the sky and to fall damage hell. Roy never even thought of Celia's amulet until he was already speeding towards the ground. Celia's stupidity didn't save Roy, but it sure didn't kill him either. Its not like she said "Here you go Roy, break this if you're ever blasted off the remains of a zombie dragon and falling towards guaranteed death."

Anyways, no character would make me want to stop reading or even skip a single strip just because despite individual character flaws, the comic as a whole is still gold.

Red XIV
2009-01-12, 12:59 AM
Her own idiocy indirectly lead to the death of her boyfriend. She lacked even basic knowledge of basic human biology and gave Roy a locket that only a Lv6 or Higher Wizard or Sorcerer can break. To be a lawyer she needs a high int score yet she seems to have no idea how the bodies of one of the most common races on the planet works.
Nonsense. Xykon's Meteor Swarm caused Roy to die, end of story.

What makes you think she had another talisman on hand that didn't require elecricity to break?

She entered a negotiation with the Thieves Guild when Belkar and Haley had the guild on their knees.
Which she knew nothing about, on account of being locked in another room.

Instead of asking the guild to stop trying to kill Haley she has essentially sold out her friend and bound her to the guild essentially forcing her freind into servitude for her own personal gain.
Oh yeah, there's a good plan. Ask them "could you please not kill my friend?" rather than coming up with an actual reason for them them to not kill her.

She just pretty much has Haley pay to have the entire guild raises who have nothing to lose and every justification to simply have Haley killed thereafter.
But little reason to do so.

She's a lawful character who just made a pact with chaotic characters who have no issues with using evil ends (murder, extortion, intimidation) to achieve their means and she KNOWS this yet her alignment is STILL Lawful Good.
When did Celia ever say she was Lawful Good? Being a lawyer is not necessarily the same thing as being Lawful.

The terms of the contract she were favourable to the losers of the entire fight. She knew full well that there were very few guild members left alive at the end of the fight. Well other than the low level ones too scared to commit suicide for Bozzok.
She knew no such thing, because she didn't know what the outcome of the fight would be while she was negotiating. Celia does not have X-ray vision. She couldn't look through the wall and see that Crystal was down for the count and Bozzok was getting his ass kicked. For all she knew, Haley and Belkar could've been losing badly.

The Minx
2009-01-12, 05:55 AM
People laughed?

I did. :smallfrown:

Durkon.

He tends to behave like an idiot/zealot, a combination of utmost revulsion to me :smallmad:

What? :smalleek:

Ok, he goes on about Thor a lot, but he never went ballistic on people for not sharing his beliefs, nor did he foolishly cling to them to the detriment of himself or others. In fact, he's probably the most level-headed member of the Order (not saying much, granted, but still). About the only "zealotry" I can think of with regards to him would be his hate for the undead, but that's about it. Miko was a zealot, Durkon totally isn't one.

Selene
2009-01-12, 06:28 AM

Absence makes the heart grow fonder?

Actually, though, neither of them annoy me. Xykon is an ass, but he's an amusing ass. And Redcloak I just hate ever since SoD.

WinterSolstice
2009-01-12, 06:32 AM
Nonsense. Xykon's Meteor Swarm caused Roy to die, end of story.

Not quite, though meteor swarm was probably chief among the factors, Celia's lack of knowledge concerning human biology can also be considered a factor.

Here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0567.html)

Lissou
2009-01-12, 08:37 AM
I did. :smallfrown:

What? :smalleek:

Ok, he goes on about Thor a lot, but he never went ballistic on people for not sharing his beliefs, nor did he foolishly cling to them to the detriment of himself or others. In fact, he's probably the most level-headed member of the Order (not saying much, granted, but still). About the only "zealotry" I can think of with regards to him would be his hate for the undead, but that's about it. Miko was a zealot, Durkon totally isn't one.

I don't find Durkon annoying. But you're wrong, he did get ballistic on people at one point. See for yourself: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0561.html
He did need two trained soldiers holding him back, after all.

He also have that silly tree thing about him, which might be what the poster meant when they called him an idiot.

Optimystik
2009-01-12, 08:49 AM

Come now. If there was an issue that was all about Celia, had no other members of the Order in it and had no bearing on the plot, you can bet I would skip it on subsequent read-throughs. But there are no issues like that, so the fact that nobody would skip any of the pages doesn't mean that they don't consider Celia annoying.

Captain Six
2009-01-12, 09:40 AM
Not quite, though meteor swarm was probably chief among the factors, Celia's lack of knowledge concerning human biology can also be considered a factor.

I might have bought the "caused the death of Roy" thing if he had planned on using the amulet to save himself from a fall from the start, not something he suddenly remembered while falling. It would be more accurate to blame the 2e squid monster things for Roy's death because by now the characters would have expected them to save them from fall damage.

Zordrath
2009-01-12, 11:22 AM

Two persons are at fault for Roy's death: Roy, for taking this risk, and Xykon, for killing him. Not Belkar, for contributing to Roy's goal, not V for not looking in his direction and casting Feather Fall, not Haley or Durkon for not holding him back, and not even Celia for being as dumb as always.

Probably because people expect different things from a villain than from a good guy. A villain is supposed to complicate things for the hero and look awesome while doing it.

The fact that Redcloak has one of the comic's most interesting backstories and Xykon is only tied with Belkar in terms of sheer awesomeness certainly helps their case, too.

WinterSolstice
2009-01-12, 11:56 AM
Two persons are at fault for Roy's death: Roy, for taking this risk, and Xykon, for killing him.

Directly? I agree wholeheartedly, and I suppose that's the manner that counts, but take into account what the Oracle has to say regarding the other factors.

Zordrath
2009-01-12, 12:11 PM
The oracle was trying to wiggle his way out of dying, I don't think we should take as opinion as valid :smalltongue:

Quorothorn
2009-01-12, 03:07 PM
Nope. It suggests you don't much that is actually annoying. And given you are still reading and posting here, that seems reasonable.

Erm...could you clarify here? I think that second sentence is missing a word.

Anyway, if I get your meaning here, my response is this: no one character can completely drain my enjoyment of any given OotS strip, because no strip ever just has one character being annoying; there's always other characters, fun little jokes, and plot-advancement. That doesn't mean certain characters don't seriously annoy me: it's just that OotS is far too good to abandon.

Allow me to direct you to the definition of "annoy" (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/annoy), by the way: "to disturb or bother (a person) in a way that displeases, troubles, or slightly irritates." It does not say "single-handedly derail all enjoyment derived from a work." Again, your definition here is too specialized. We need a different word for what you're describing.

David Argall
2009-01-12, 06:36 PM
Erm...could you clarify here? I think that second sentence is missing a word.
Corrected.

Anyway, if I get your meaning here, my response is this: no one character can completely drain my enjoyment of any given OotS strip, because no strip ever just has one character being annoying;
Which exaggerates what I said, "...makes you want to skip the strip..." is a limited statement. You can want to do something and still not do it. You can want to do something with every atom of your soul, or want it as a casual whim, and still not actually take action.
So what you are saying is that Celia is not being really annoying. She is no more than a low grade bother.

Allow me to direct you to the definition of "annoy" (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/annoy), by the way: "to disturb or bother (a person) in a way that displeases, troubles, or slightly irritates."
"Slightly..." We have people calling for her death, total humiliation, etc, etc. That seems way beyond the definition of annoy being offered. The claim "eliminate her because she is annoying" seems defective, like the death penalty for jaywalking.

Two persons are at fault for Roy's death: Roy, for taking this risk, and Xykon, for killing him. Not Belkar, for contributing to Roy's goal, not V for not looking in his direction and casting Feather Fall, not Haley or Durkon for not holding him back, and not even Celia for being as dumb as always.
This depends on our definition of "fault". By a standard one, Belkar is at fault. He is not the only one, or even the chief one, but he did something with predictable consequences and thus is liable when those consequences happen. V, having no real way to notice Roy was in trouble [and being out of range] does not qualify as at fault. Haley or Durkon might be sued by an overeager lawyer, but should get off on the grounds that their actions were to discourage Roy, or to prevent what happened. Since Roy would have still acted in their absence, they are not at fault.
Celia gets blamed on the grounds she should have known Roy couldn't use the emergency summons. She might get off on the claim she could not have known this, but this plea is suspect at best. Stupidity is not an excuse here. She might have better grounds in claiming that Roy didn't rely on the summons in getting into this mess. Nor is it clear that she could have saved him if she had provided a human-friendly summons. Her promise to help only promises reasonable aid, not perfect, and it was quite possible he would have hit ground before she could have arrived and realized what was going on.

Quorothorn
2009-01-12, 06:51 PM
Corrected.

Ah, there we go: thanks. :smallsmile:

Which exaggerates what I said, "...makes you want to skip the strip..." is a limited statement. You can want to do something and still not do it. You can want to do something with every atom of your soul, or want it as a casual whim, and still not actually take action.
So what you are saying is that Celia is not being really annoying. She is no more than a low grade bother.

....Which is the same thing.

"Slightly..." We have people calling for her death, total humiliation, etc, etc. That seems way beyond the definition of annoy being offered. The claim "eliminate her because she is annoying" seems defective, like the death penalty for jaywalking.

And that's why I'm not one of those people calling for her death or a humiliation conga or somesuch.

This depends on our definition of "fault". By a standard one, Belkar is at fault. He is not the only one, or even the chief one, but he did something with predictable consequences and thus is liable when those consequences happen. V, having no real way to notice Roy was in trouble [and being out of range] does not qualify as at fault. Haley or Durkon might be sued by an overeager lawyer, but should get off on the grounds that their actions were to discourage Roy, or to prevent what happened. Since Roy would have still acted in their absence, they are not at fault.
Celia gets blamed on the grounds she should have known Roy couldn't use the emergency summons. She might get off on the claim she could not have known this, but this plea is suspect at best. Stupidity is not an excuse here. She might have better grounds in claiming that Roy didn't rely on the summons in getting into this mess. Nor is it clear that she could have saved him if she had provided a human-friendly summons. Her promise to help only promises reasonable aid, not perfect, and it was quite possible he would have hit ground before she could have arrived and realized what was going on.

Not to mention it might be hard for her to arrest Roy's momentum properly even once she realized what was what, though I will own that is rarely an issue in worlds like this.

EmeraldPhoenix
2009-01-12, 06:57 PM
For me, it's Miko's stupid horse.

Assassin89
2009-01-12, 07:11 PM
The Oracle also annoys me. His attitude towards others, not to mention the number of times he cheats death. My hatred toward him is not because he is a kolbold. It is because his attitude sickens me. Makes me want to cast holy word and holy smite on him and then ask Pelor if using soul bind and replacing the oracle with someone nicer would be a good act.

Mr. Mud
2009-01-12, 07:14 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb and say 'That guy with a Halberd' is/was the most annoying character ever, jsut for the pure fact that I'm a purist and if Mr. Burlew didn't write it, I don't like it. If its regarding OOTS... Mud doesn't like when chocolate gets in his peanut butter, or when peanut butter gets in his hamburger. Mud does, however like metaphors :smalltongue:.

Firewind
2009-01-12, 11:54 PM
Which she knew nothing about, on account of being locked in another room.

~

She knew no such thing, because she didn't know what the outcome of the fight would be while she was negotiating. Celia does not have X-ray vision. She couldn't look through the wall and see that Crystal was down for the count and Bozzok was getting his ass kicked. For all she knew, Haley and Belkar could've been losing badly.

Celic saw for herself (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0614.html) that most of the guild had already been wiped out by Belkar and Bozzok was pursuing them at that point leaving Belkar to deal with a Rouge that has no access to Sneak Attack.

Also please pay attention to these comics where Celia witnesses the deaths of a number of guild members:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0603.html
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0604.html

Celia was also not locked in a room. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0617.html). She was teken into the room next to where a battle was going on (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0618.html) and would easily have been able to hear what's going on outside

Oh yeah, there's a good plan. Ask them "could you please not kill my friend?" rather than coming up with an actual reason for them them to not kill her.

Once they find out that Haley doesn't even have any money to cover a single raise (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0531.html) give me one good reason why they would want her alive? Bozzok isn't an idiot. He knows that Haley would take the first chance to ditch him and he has more to gain from simply having her killed and going recruiting than leaving

When did Celia ever say she was Lawful Good? Being a lawyer is not necessarily the same thing as being Lawful.

Panel 5 seems to make her come across as pretty lawful (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0537.html).
her insistence on Belkar being metted out some sort of justice (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0540.html).
Another example here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0569.html)
She specifically asks for a good aligned cleric to raise Roy (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0566.html)
The final panel. Take Celia's naivety into account and that seems like a fairly LG thought (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0574.html)

Her outright objections to even defend herself show that she's on the stupid good side. Even if her bring LG is questionable at the very least she's the worst kind of Neutral Good

Optimystik
2009-01-13, 12:06 AM
Once they find out that Haley doesn't even have any money to cover a single raise (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0531.html) give me one good reason why they would want her alive?

Keep in mind, that was before she robbed Grubwiggler (the act that alerted the TG to her presence.) She has quite a bit of cash now... or did before Celia's deal anyway.

Red XIV
2009-01-13, 01:02 AM
Celia would have no way of knowing how many members the Thieves Guild had. And frankly, there probably plenty more mooks that we didn't see. Also, she knew that Haley was going one-on-one against a melee fighter at least 4 levels higher than she is. She had no reason to assume that Haley would have an easy time of it.

Also, I'll say again. Bozzok has no idea how much money Haley has stolen, but it's safe to say he wouldn't expect her to carry all of it with her. Only an idiot would carry all their worldly possessions with them at all times unless they absolutely couldn't help it, after all.