PDA

View Full Version : Good feats for lower level bards/sorcerers?

The_JJ
2009-01-10, 10:44 PM
Basically what the thread title says. I'd like it if you could post a full description of feat for me though. *waits*

Eldariel
2009-01-10, 10:50 PM
...huh? What type of Sorcerers/Bards (focusing on what spells/aspects, what combat role, what out-of-combat roles, any multiclassing?)? Any PrC plans for the future? What race? What's the aim of the character build? Insufficient data. Everything depends on the circumstances. This would require half the feats existent in D&D to thoroughly answer your question and since that would take about a week to write up (or alternatively a copy-paste), I'm not too keen on that project.

Talya
2009-01-10, 10:52 PM
As a sorcerer, taking an Energy Substitution metamagic (which requires another metamagic first) is worth it even if only for the lone Orb and Lesser Orb spells you plan to have in your spell list.

Keld Denar
2009-01-10, 10:53 PM
For lack of information, I'd say you can't go wrong with:

Skill Focus: Craft(Basketweaving)

Llama231
2009-01-10, 10:58 PM
Endurance.
At low levels they really need the 3 extra hit points.

Keld Denar
2009-01-10, 11:04 PM
Endurance.

That's Toughness you are thinking of.

Endance gives the ability to sleep in armor and a +4 bonus to checks like swimming and running.

valadil
2009-01-10, 11:18 PM
For sorcerers, Sculpt Spell metamagic works very, very well at low levels, especially with small AoEs. Sculpted grease is effectively 4 greases. Sculpted color spray is huge too. Either of those options ends low level encounters for the low, low price of a second level spell slot. And Sculpt Spell stays useful until you get Archmage.

The_JJ
2009-01-11, 01:28 AM
For lack of information, I'd say you can't go wrong with:

Skill Focus: Craft(Basketweaving)

Well, thanks for making me laugh. :smallsmile:

But really it's vague because I'm hunting for variety here. Toughness is a good idea, and I'll look up Sculpt Spell

focusing on what spells/aspects, what combat role, what out-of-combat roles, any multiclassing? Any PrC plans for the future? What race? What's the aim of the character build?
Let's see...
1. Spells etc. as I see fit when I level.
2. Combat roll role. Maybe controller or max damage.
3. Out of combat. Bard'll go face, but I've got enough skill points to load up on diplo etc.
4. Multiclass Not in the forseeable future.
5. PrC Ditto
6. Race Human. Hence the need to pick some extra feats
7. Survival and competent performance, in that order. So... as I see fit. Just looking for ideas.

Myou
2009-01-11, 07:51 AM
If you plan to ever level up more than once or twice then Toughness is a trap, you want Improved Toughness (+1 HP/level).

Greg
2009-01-11, 09:53 AM
If you plan to ever level up more than once or twice then Toughness is a trap, you want Improved Toughness (+1 HP/level).
Which has toughness as a prereq.

RMS Oceanic
2009-01-11, 10:00 AM
No it doesn't. It does have a prerequisite of base fortitude save +2, however, so both Bard and Sorceror can't take it until level 6.

Flickerdart
2009-01-11, 10:23 AM
Toughness isn't worth it. Sorcerers get precious few feats, and need to use them on something a little more significant than a pittance of hit points. Buy an item of +2 CON instead and it'll do the same thing. Feats are more important than gold.

only1doug
2009-01-11, 10:23 AM
Which has toughness as a prereq.

Only in our houserules, by core it doesn't.

My group always houserules it to do so. it is actually worth taking due to other houserules in force (namely variant rule: VP & WP).

monty
2009-01-11, 02:16 PM
Endurance.

You shouldn't take Toughness, and you really shouldn't take Endurance. A sorcerer or bard can't afford to throw away feats like that.