PDA

View Full Version : Main sources of power in Oots

littlequietguy
2009-01-11, 01:11 AM
It occur to me that if Oots were to defeat Xykon they would need a lot of help. Here are some large sources of power in the Oots that might constitute that help:

Azure city: Well this is really obvious but I had to include it anyway.

Thieves guild: especially with the recent alliance I believe this massive society of low level thieves might agree to help end Xykon... for a share of the treasure.

Linear guild: While not on the same tier they are a semi-formidable team who might be able to prolong their revenge for one ultimate battle against a titan of cruelty.

Did I miss anything?

Optimystik
2009-01-11, 01:19 AM
Did I miss anything?

The Snarl, which I fully expect to kill at least one of the major villains.

Finwe
2009-01-11, 01:22 AM
Serini - she could still be alive, and she apparently wasn't actively guarding her gate.

Redcloak

The Dwarves - remember, the final gate lies in the north, near the dwarven lands.

littlequietguy
2009-01-11, 01:24 AM
The Snarl, which I fully expect to kill at least one of the major villains.

Ahhh the Optimystik an amazing beacon of insight.:smallsmile:

TheSummoner
2009-01-11, 02:13 AM
I fully expect it to kill Belkar, though thats not to say it couldn't also take out Xykon, Redcloak, Tsukiko or someone from the Linear Guild

Llama231
2009-01-11, 11:00 AM
Serini - she could still be alive, and she apparently wasn't actively guarding her gate.

Redcloak

The Dwarves - remember, the final gate lies in the north, near the dwarven lands.

The elves too.
We cant forget the elves!:vaarsuvius:

littlequietguy
2009-01-11, 12:55 PM
The elves too.
We cant forget the elves!:vaarsuvius:

The Elven homelands have never appeared in Oots (except if you count 2 panels in Ootpcs)

Still your point is not impossible considering that V's mate will appear in the comic possibly at his homeland.

Dixieboy
2009-01-11, 02:18 PM
Redcloak

Why the hell would redcloak help them again xykon?

hamishspence
2009-01-11, 02:21 PM
lots of reasons. In any conflict between The Good of the Goblin People and Xykon, Redcloak will come down on their side. At the moment, he sees Xykon as vital to The Plan. If Xykon starts wrecking it, there will be extremely rapid rebellion.

He's already keeping secrets from him.

Kroy
2009-01-11, 02:39 PM
lots of reasons. In any conflict between The Good of the Goblin People and Xykon, Redcloak will come down on their side. At the moment, he sees Xykon as vital to The Plan. If Xykon starts wrecking it, there will be extremely rapid rebellion.

Psssst, SoD spoilers.

hamishspence
2009-01-11, 02:41 PM
Secret keeping is mentioned after the O-chul Pool Fight.

"The Good of the Goblin People" is mentioned in the Azure City Battle

"the Plan" has nothing specified about it.

Querzis
2009-01-11, 02:42 PM

There is only two really big flaw here:

1. Yes Xykon is vital to the Plan and will always be unless they run into another evil epic spellcaster ready to help Redcloak (and how likely is that?)

2. There is no way Xykon will ever wreck the plan unless he learn somehow what Redcloak is really planning to do and, since Redcloak is the only one who could tell him that, I dont see it happening.

If anything, I find it much more likely that the other villains on team Evil will try to stop Redcloak when they learn about the real Plan. Seriously guys, Redcloak and his goal are much more dangerous then Xykon and his goal!

Linkavitch
2009-01-11, 02:48 PM

Redcloak

I want the Dwarves to help too.

xyzzy
2009-01-11, 03:04 PM
It's worth noting that (OtOoPCs spoiler) there's at least two incredibly powerful NPCs who were quite bummed when they found out that Roy had filled out his whole party already. It's entirely possible that there's hundreds of people willing to help for little or no pay if asked.

David Argall
2009-01-11, 04:02 PM
It occur to me that if Oots were to defeat Xykon they would need a lot of help. Here are some large sources of power in the Oots that might constitute that help:

Did I miss anything?
Yes, the basic point that this is the story of the Order, not of a whole bunch of possible friends. Then there is the point of Roy's sword getting broken. The standard story line requires things get as dark as possible for the party, and a whole bunch of friends just gets in the way.

Any or all of these may help the party a little, but they are going to be footnotes.

Trixie
2009-01-11, 04:34 PM

Um, we haven't seen her gate yet.

Voyager_I
2009-01-11, 05:10 PM
Serini doesn't have a gate. The fifth is Kraagor's, and although she designed its defenses, it was implied that the did not have any intent of settling down to attend it.

Finwe
2009-01-11, 05:15 PM
Um, we haven't seen her gate yet.

"Serini wasn't really the type for retiring" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0277.html)

It's pretty reasonable to conclude from that panel that she didn't stick around her gate for very long.

Optimystik
2009-01-11, 06:29 PM
Ahhh the Optimystik an amazing beacon of insight.:smallsmile:

Must resist...urge to...sig...

It's worth noting that (OtOoPCs spoiler) there's at least two incredibly powerful NPCs who were quite bummed when they found out that Roy had filled out his whole party already. It's entirely possible that there's hundreds of people willing to help for little or no pay if asked.

I haven't read OtOoPCs, but I'm willing to bet that was a Rule of Funny type deal (just like having Elan hobnob with Final Fantasy characters.)

Rotipher
2009-01-11, 06:38 PM
Yes, the basic point that this is the story of the Order, not of a whole bunch of possible friends.

Not to mention that Roy has to be the one to ultimately destroy Xykon, if he's ever to show up his pig-headed jerk of a father. You don't think the Giant would let all that abrasiveness and unfairness on the elder Greenhilt's part just hang there, without giving his son a chance to say "Hah! Told you I could do it!" at the end, do you? If the Snarl or another NPC provides too much assistance against the lich, Roy's success won't seem as total and we won't have any real closure to his feud with his dad.