PDA

View Full Version : emergency preparedness thread!

reorith
2009-01-11, 01:16 AM
quick question, are you guys prepared for an emergency? not like "hurr der, i has a shotgun for raptor-zombie-nazi-furries so yeah." but like do you have a plan and supplies? do you have any useful skills? how about some experience?

Rutskarn
2009-01-11, 01:21 AM
Hell no.

I got guns, no ammo. I have the stamina of a sparkler and the strength of a wet paper bag. I know nothing about surviving in the wild, except a few random bear-related facts and the (obvious) truth I wouldn't last very long. My first aid training extends to the crap-he's-bleeding-tourniquet-tourniquet-holy-crap-that's-a-lot-of-blood stage. I don't even know my way around, and would probably get lost driving anywhere that's not extremely local.

I know where my flashlight and my towel are, but besides that, I'm history.

Don Julio Anejo
2009-01-11, 01:22 AM
What kind of an emergency are we talking about? A massive 9-point earthquake? War? Nuclear war? Sudden disappearance of food supplies..?

Syka
2009-01-11, 01:24 AM
Prepared for a hurricane and, possibly, tornado. Those are really the only natural disasters in my area, and if war hits my area I'm screwed either way. :) Tsunami? I live in Florida...we'd be gone anyway. ;)

Cheers~

reorith
2009-01-11, 01:27 AM
What kind of an emergency are we talking about? A massive 9-point earthquake? War? Nuclear war? Sudden disappearance of food supplies..?

pretty much anything that you could prepare for in reason given your location?

also, a relevant link (http://www.ready.gov/)

Ninja Chocobo
2009-01-11, 01:30 AM
quick question, are you guys prepared for an emergency? not like "hurr der, i has a shotgun for raptor-zombie-nazi-furries so yeah." but like do you have a plan and supplies? do you have any useful skills? how about some experience?

Well, I don't know about you, but I've got a Shift key. It tends to come in handy.
Also, I've got a First Aid certificate, but nothing I could use to make it useful.

RabbitHoleLost
2009-01-11, 01:32 AM
A year of military training, mediocre gun-totin' abilities, supplies for tornadoes and blizzards, and enough sexy to last me a few years :smallwink:
Plus, the Zombie Survival handbook

Cobra_Ikari
2009-01-11, 01:33 AM
I prepared "Summon MacGyver" this morning. Does that count?

In actuallity, closer to what Rabbits is packing, minus some sexy. Because, honestly, who could compete with her?

reorith
2009-01-11, 01:44 AM
Well, I don't know about you, but I've got a Shift key. It tends to come in handy.
Also, I've got a First Aid certificate, but nothing I could use to make it useful.

uhh i would have had to use the shift key to make quotation marks. 3/10.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-01-11, 02:11 AM
uhh i would have had to use the shift key to make quotation marks. 3/10.

So...you have no excuse. Other than what, laziness?

reorith
2009-01-11, 02:18 AM
So...you have no excuse. Other than what, laziness?

excuse? i don't use excuses. it is pointless to have two different ways to write letters.

does anyone else have a bug out bag?

Quorothorn
2009-01-11, 02:45 AM
Hell no.

I got guns, no ammo. I have the stamina of a sparkler and the strength of a wet paper bag. I know nothing about surviving in the wild, except a few random bear-related facts and the (obvious) truth I wouldn't last very long. My first aid training extends to the crap-he's-bleeding-tourniquet-tourniquet-holy-crap-that's-a-lot-of-blood stage. I don't even know my way around, and would probably get lost driving anywhere that's not extremely local.

Hmm...that would be about my own level. My only hope is sheer Genre Savvy. And maybe "you wouldn't hit someone wearing glasses, would you?".

excuse? i don't use excuses. it is pointless to have two different ways to write letters.

does anyone else have a bug out bag?

...Oh, sure, absolutely pointless. It's not as though they do things like make a sentence easier to read, indicate certain types of words (such as names) or allow you to do YOUR BEST BRIANBLESSED IMITATION.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-01-11, 02:57 AM
If a Tsunami hits, we have England between us and the Tsunami.:smallamused:
Only real danger here is a flood. And for that I would just run to the nearest flat with a lil' rubber boat.:smalltongue:

Sereg
2009-01-11, 03:05 AM

I agree completely. That's why I've developed a system where capitals and smalls are pronounced completely differently. I'll probably post it sometime.

On topic, I doubt I'd last long in most major catastrophies.

Jarade
2009-01-11, 03:16 AM
I live in an area where there is no earthquakes, floods, tornado's, hurricanes, etc.

Pretty much the only thing we get here are Dust Storms, but they really don't trigger an end of the world scenario.

So yea, I'm pretty much screwed if anything bad happens. :smallwink:

Although, if I were to be camping with my friend's at the point of [/civ], we would probably last longer than most, but being in the middle of a pretty big city as we are, I'm sure the mass hysteria will make lasting long a bit hard.

Elm11
2009-01-11, 03:29 AM
At my house, we have a concrete underground storage room, compos toilet, and months worth of canned supplies, air-tight door, and battery run ventilation systems. It was on the initiative of my grand-dad, during the cold war. We don't really think a bomb proof bunker is important, but we keep the supplies there just in case a generic disaster occurs.

thubby
2009-01-11, 03:52 AM
I'm reasonably prepared for most natural disasters, and over equipped for any human/zombie one.
i know enough about wilderness survival to function, though it might get ugly after a week.
my medical knowledge is somewhat limited, but i know how to take care of dressings, stitches, cuts, minor breaks, and infections (penicillin is your friend)
the only real weapons i have are a swiss army knife and the standard bat/crowbar/hatchet, but i know ways to make certain, less savory, weapons.
i could run (and i do mean run) a mile if the need arose, but it would hurt.
and i can fix minor problems with devices (a radio, a tv, some bits of a car)

turkishproverb
2009-01-11, 04:21 AM
I've got some supplies, know how to tune a radio to listen for broadcasts, and have had to learn how to keep warm in the cold, not much else.

Seffbasilisk
2009-01-11, 04:32 AM
I have weapons, tools, rope, duct tape, WD-40, weapons training, unarmed combat training, first-aid training, All but the final project towards Eagle Scout training, I can fix or assemble basic machinery and with a bit of tinkering fix most mechanical things. I can go for up to three days without sleep before falling below the norm in function, same three days for food, and have extra training in wood lore, navigation. Have at least a +14 to Use Rope checks, basic electrical training, definite ranks in Craft: Weaponry, camping gear, ranks in Open Lock, many many ranks in Disable Device, experiance in woodworking and basic construction...

Yeah. I'm ready for just about any emergency short of alien invasion, and even then I'd make a good showing.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-01-11, 05:16 AM
Lets see:
My location: Military Base in Japan:
Disaster:

Typhoon -
Hunker down, stay indoors, close doors and windows, prepare emergency light source, acquire food and water stores beforehand. I work in weather, so my roomies and I have alot of advance warning. Areas of danger include walking to the Station - Solution - Avoid loose objects and trees, stick to my normal, back alleyish route. I've done this multipe times before. Trust me.

War -
Thats what I'm here for. More than likely, its supervise evacuation or starting building products. We got guns here.

Zombie Apocolypse -
Yeah, we got guns. We got lots of guns. We also have food, power, and secure locations with tightly controlled acess.

Tsunami -
Pray. Head for the high ground, bunker down, ride it out. Pray that the mooring lines down at the pier don't snap.

And now: Applying personal skillsets:

I have moderate armed and unarmed martial arts training, with some talent for improvised weapons. I'm trained with both pistol and shotgun, as well as know which end of the rifle makes the loud noises.

I've been CPR and First Aid qualified since the eightth grade (although, I do need to re-qual), and have made attempts to get instructor Certs, although those have fallen flat due to a lack of classes.

I can apply nominal weather knowledge towards forecasting. Without complicated models and heavy assitance, I can predict trends over an area over time -with a reasonable failure rate, by taking constant obs using the Mark One eyeball and my skin as forecast tools. (I know what the clouds mean and we can all tell temperature and tremperature trends)

I have a working knowledge of human anatomy - mostly, admittidly, I know where to stab and what to introduce into a system to kill it

I usually carry a multi-tool, which goes a bit for a handy tool when you need one, and its amazing what one can accomplish with just a pocket knife and a lighter.

I'm capable of both giving and recieving orders. And don't mind getting my hands dirty. Combine this with more charisma than a dead ferret, I can ork in a group that willing to work together, which they probably would be in a suvival situation. I can take mild to moderate discomfort for extended periods of time without complaining.

I've trained myself to be able to subsist on a diet of "not much". To be honest, though, in a survival situation, you're probably burning alot more nutrients, and need to consume alot more eats, so thats not much of an asset.

ghost_warlock
2009-01-11, 05:39 AM
I own a small assortment of silent weapons; mostly knives and other blades but also a few bludgeons. I have minimal martial arts training, primarily focusing on chokes and restraints. I live in a small city where there's, at most, seven or eight people I care about on a personal level.

In the case of most emergencies, I suppose banditry and cannibalism will be my primary means of survival.

Exeson
2009-01-11, 05:47 AM
Well I'm physically very fit, I have a emergency first aid pouch in my top left and drawer. I have done Kickboxing, Karate and do Judo so fairly good hand to hand, especially when it comes to chokes, strangle and locks. My sense of direction is now fairly keen due to getting lost so much when I was younger. I have my CCF Combat 95's and some camo cream. Next to my first aid pouch is a wind up torch and large assortment of knives. (including a push dagger, and a few throwing knives, although it has been a while since I used them) I have a working knowledge of the human anatomy, especially arteries and nerves close to the surface.

Thanks to CCF I have been trained in first aid, camouflage and concealment, navigation, survival, and I know how to strip, clean, reassemble (load, unload, fill magazine, stoppage drills and all that jazz) and fire a SA 80, which is the rifle the British army uses. I also know my way around a shotgun but I have less experience using one.

But let's face it, really I would not be much use at all if it came to natural disasters, living in England means I have never come into contact with anyhitng except lashing rains and floods.

Unfortunately I do not own any guns, (I'm not allowed to) so that last bit would only be useful if I found somewhere with one.

Lord Herman
2009-01-11, 05:58 AM
Well, the only natural disaster that could plausibly happen here is a flood, and even then I live no less than 5 metres above sea level. Of course, my part of the Netherlands would have to deal with about 5 million refugees from the parts that do flood, but in that case we can just hide behind the sofa and pretend we're not at home.

As for Nazi/Alien/Roman/Ninja/Communist/Ill-tempered Mutated Sea Bass invasions, I'm fairly confident in my ability to pretend I was on their side all along.

Adlan
2009-01-11, 06:01 AM
For those of you interested in Emergency Preparedness, may I invite you to Join Zombie Squad (http://www.zombie-hunters.org) the worlds premier non stationary cadaver supression task force.

When not killing zombies, we share information and skills for all kinds of disasters, and we raise money for charities.

With International Chapters, and most activities occouring online, Zombie Squad has helped me prepare for pretty much anything.

In Actuality right now, my prep's are pretty limited. I'm a student. However, if the SHTF, my TA Unit will probably be called up to help with stuff. I'd be working, but on the other hand, I'd be fed and watered.

My BoB has already proven it's use though. Living in Halls, and sleeping nude or near so, means no time to get dressed when firealarm goes off.

While others have had to suffer in the cold (even if they were in PJ's) I have food, clothing, and other prep's for 3 day's in my Bug Out Bag.

Adlan
2009-01-11, 06:10 AM
For those of you interested in Emergency Preparedness, may I invite you to Join Zombie Squad (http://www.zombie-hunters.org) the worlds premier non stationary cadaver supression task force.

When not killing zombies, we share information and skills for all kinds of disasters, and we raise money for charities.

With International Chapters, and most activities occouring online, Zombie Squad has helped me prepare for pretty much anything.

In Actuality right now, my prep's are pretty limited. I'm a student. However, if the SHTF, my TA Unit will probably be called up to help with stuff. I'd be working, but on the other hand, I'd be fed and watered.

My BoB has already proven it's use though. Living in Halls, and sleeping nude or near so, means no time to get dressed when firealarm goes off.

While others have had to suffer in the cold (even if they were in PJ's) I have food, clothing, and other prep's for 3 day's in my Bug Out Bag.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-01-11, 07:32 AM
As for Nazi/Alien/Roman/Ninja/Communist/Ill-tempered Mutated Sea Bass invasions, I'm fairly confident in my ability to pretend I was on their side all along.

What about Zombies?

Lord Herman
2009-01-11, 08:04 AM
Not zombies. I keep getting the 'braaaaaains' bit wrong.

Ashen Lilies
2009-01-11, 08:09 AM
How do you pull off the smell/eating people/rotting flesh then? :smallconfused:

Lord Herman
2009-01-11, 08:19 AM
Well, I guess the showers will stop working once the people at the water company are zombified. That'll take care of the smell. I'll just feed my people to the zombie dog, and make myself some pasta. As for the rotting flesh, I don't think that'll be a problem. Power is often the first thing to go in a zombie invasion, so there won't be any lights for them to see me by.

Ashen Lilies
2009-01-11, 08:35 AM
Well, that might work for the humans, but remember what happened to the Quislings from World War Z. Though, on the bright side, your zombie disguise will quickly become perfect. :smalltongue:

randman22222
2009-01-11, 09:06 AM
A year of military training, mediocre gun-totin' abilities, supplies for tornadoes and blizzards, and enough sexy to last me a few years :smallwink:
Plus, the Zombie Survival handbook

Plus modesty enough for the rest of your life. :smalltongue:

I know first aid. A decent amount of karate. Errr, not sure what else. :smallconfused:

Jack Squat
2009-01-11, 09:07 AM
I'm not as ready as I'd like to be...don't have a go bag.

Basically our plans are if anything happens that we have to leave our house, hightail it up to my grandparents up in Cincinnati.

In the house, we're good for power outages, tornadoes, and other small emergencies. I've also got some survival books that I read through occasionally.

Athaniar
2009-01-11, 10:29 AM
Prepared? Not a chance. I panic whenever the TV stops working properly due to heavy weather.

RabbitHoleLost
2009-01-11, 12:39 PM
What about Zombies?

If its zombies, I'm screwed. I'll be all "Awww, I love you guyssss!"
And then I'll forget my necromancy powers of awesome doom do not extend past the internet.
And I'll get nomnomnom'd.

Fredthefighter
2009-01-11, 12:42 PM
And then I'll forget my necromancy powers of awesome doom do not extend past the internet.

Karate isnt much use against zombies unless you can extend your soul into some sort of energy shield (That can be done can't it?)
Other than that, I have a little bit of medical training from being a boyscout.

Fan
2009-01-11, 12:43 PM
*hugs huis zombie survival guide*
I have freinds who have the weapons, and ammunition that I'am far too poor to buy.. My main advanatge in the case of zombies is knwoledge.. regular disater though? I'm SCREWED.

Fredthefighter
2009-01-11, 12:45 PM
*hugs huis zombie survival guide*
I have freinds who have the weapons, and ammunition that I'am far too poor to buy.. My main advanatge in the case of zombies is knwoledge.. regular disater though? I'm SCREWED.

My dad has a samurai sword on the wall downstairs, the egde my be blunt but that can be fixed.
Can you say slice and dice.
Other than that, I don't think that a pen-knife would do much against a zombie.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-01-11, 12:46 PM

'Kaybai.
I was talking to Heman, but, that works, too.

I'll be over here - across an ocean. Putting bullets in brainpans (*SQUISH!*)

The Neoclassic
2009-01-11, 12:57 PM
If we ever have any sort of disaster or emergency of movie-like proportions, I will be a redshirt. I'm weak, clumsy, and not prepared for any sort of serious natural disaster or otherwise. If the zombie apocalypse happens, I'll probably be one of the first people to get zombified. :smallsigh: So goes life. We can't all be the PCs... err, heroes.

Fredthefighter
2009-01-11, 01:04 PM
If we ever have any sort of disaster or emergency of movie-like proportions, I will be a redshirt. I'm weak, clumsy, and not prepared for any sort of serious natural disaster or otherwise. If the zombie apocalypse happens, I'll probably be one of the first people to get zombified. :smallsigh: So goes life. We can't all be the PCs... err, heroes.

I agree with you there, I too would be the equivalent of a redshirt.

RabbitHoleLost
2009-01-11, 01:06 PM
'Kaybai.
I was talking to Heman, but, that works, too.

I'll be over here - across an ocean. Putting bullets in brainpans (*SQUISH!*)

I figured it was to Herman.
I just, upon reading that post, realized I'd be dead D=

ghost_warlock
2009-01-11, 01:12 PM
So goes life. We can't all be the PCs... err, heroes.

Nope, some of us will be villains.

I figured it was to Herman.
I just, upon reading that post, realized I'd be dead D=

Tell you what, in the event of a zombipacalypse, I'll craft a zombie suit (made from only the finest and freshest zombie components) and see if I can't make my way down there. If you see a zombie driving a gray/green '97 Buick LeSabre there's a chance it'll be me. If it's carrying a kukri and a katar when it gets out of the car, there's a good chance it's me. If, in addition to these, it's also unreasonable (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjMiDZIY1bM), it's definitely me. :smallamused:

Thanatos 51-50
2009-01-11, 01:13 PM
You'll be fine as long as you hold the line, now get over here, pick up a rifle and put lead down range, we'll all get out of this!

/pseudo-protaganistspeech

Seriously, its okay to give some ground as long as you take it back. :smallbiggrin:

Fredthefighter
2009-01-11, 01:15 PM
You'll be fine as long as you hold the line, now get over here, pick up a rifle and put lead down range, we'll all get out of this!

/pseudo-protaganistspeech

Seriously, its okay to give some ground as long as you take it back. :smallbiggrin:

I think that if a Zombie Apocalypse happened, I'd throw myself off of a cliff to avoid either 1) Becoming a zombie or 2) Having to kill my zombified family and friends.

Mordokai
2009-01-11, 01:21 PM
People tend to ignore me. I'm sure that would come in handy in situations like this :smalltongue:

Thanatos 51-50
2009-01-11, 01:31 PM
I think that if a Zombie Apocalypse happened, I'd throw myself off of a cliff to avoid either 1) Becoming a zombie or 2) Having to kill my zombified family and friends.

No offense, but I just can't agree with that type of attitude. It seems so... I don't know, just wrong.
i can confidentatly say, that, after identifying a Zombie threat, I wouldn't hesitate to drop it, no matter who the person was or how much I cared for them in life. They're nothing but animated corpses now, and a dishonour to the dead. By putting them down, I'm honouring the Fallen.

People tend to ignore me. I'm sure that would come in handy in situations like this :smalltongue:

Or, you know, not.
If you're being ignored, then, sure, you get passed up by the celebratory needless looting, but as soon as you ask for help from the other survivors, nadda.

The Neoclassic
2009-01-11, 02:23 PM
No offense, but I just can't agree with that type of attitude. It seems so... I don't know, just wrong.
i can confidentatly say, that, after identifying a Zombie threat, I wouldn't hesitate to drop it, no matter who the person was or how much I cared for them in life. They're nothing but animated corpses now, and a dishonour to the dead. By putting them down, I'm honouring the Fallen.

I don't really think it's that we actually look at our zombified family and say, "Wow, I can't hurt dad!"; it's that we are so long conditioned to identify these people as our closest, most trusted companions that seeing them commit horrific acts and be animate but their souls (minds, whatever) being entirely gone would just be too awful that we'd be able to fight with the utmost vigor. It's a psychological inhibition rather than an intellectual flaw or even necessarily a weakness of character. Of course killing zombies is the right thing to do, even to the person to whom that body once belonged. However, some of us would not be able to instantly shut off or entirely ignore the awful feelings or serious emotional confusion which would result from confronting zombified family members.

So.... How about those /natural/ disasters? What are we supposed to have prepared for those real things that actually might happen?

Fredthefighter
2009-01-11, 02:27 PM
Well, if an earthquake happens, I know to stand in a doorway.
Hurricanes, twisters and tornados: Uh-oh
Typhoons and tidal waves: Get to High Ground, fast

Milanius
2009-01-11, 02:31 PM
quick question, are you guys prepared for an emergency? not like "hurr der, i has a shotgun for raptor-zombie-nazi-furries so yeah." but like do you have a plan and supplies? do you have any useful skills? how about some experience?I've got a lockback tanto with me at all times. Cash, equivalent of several hundred $. Driver's license which enables me to drive any passenger vehicle legally. Hard-working mentality [about 10% of the time]. Lots of stores nearby that I can loot in case of zombie apocalypse. And yeah, I can bake potatoes.

ghost_warlock
2009-01-11, 02:35 PM
Earthquake: not going to happen here.
Hurricanes, twisters and tornados: Probably sleep through it like I have before.
Typhoons and tidal waves: I'm already on high ground
Fire: Hopefully the smoke alarm will alert me to the problem in time for my gf, my cat, and the other people I live with to get out. Otherwise, I'm hoping myself and the three other guys here can beat out the fire WWE style. :smalltongue:

Thanatos 51-50
2009-01-11, 02:40 PM
I don't really think it's that we actually look at our zombified family and say, "Wow, I can't hurt dad!"; it's that we are so long conditioned to identify these people as our closest, most trusted companions that seeing them commit horrific acts and be animate but their souls (minds, whatever) being entirely gone would just be too awful that we'd be able to fight with the utmost vigor. It's a psychological inhibition rather than an intellectual flaw or even necessarily a weakness of character. Of course killing zombies is the right thing to do, even to the person to whom that body once belonged. However, some of us would not be able to instantly shut off or entirely ignore the awful feelings or serious emotional confusion which would result from confronting zombified family members.

So.... How about those /natural/ disasters? What are we supposed to have prepared for those real things that actually might happen?

I've listed my responses to natural and man-made disasters, already. Zombie Squad os a real-life organization, and their mode of think is "If you're REALLY ready for the Zombie Apocolypse, you're ready for anything." I like their mode of thinking.
But, yes, I do like to think it wouldn't matter who the body once belonged to, kill it and it dies. There is time for thought, emotions and feeling guilty after the rampaging horde has stopped. Pass me more ammo until then.

OH! Forgot a few disasters!

Earthquakes ~
Lived right on the Ring of Fire my entire life, I know the whole "Stna din a doorway" trick. I don't have any basements around, but most buildings in Japan are earthquake-proofed, anyway. The big solution here is, of course, pray, and if I'm not buried, myself, dig fellow survivors out of the rubble.

Volcanic Eruption ~
Worry like <Censored> about certain indviduals who live alot closer to Mt. Fuji than I do. Volunteer for the rescue/disaster relief squad. I'm far enough away so that it doesn't worry me. If it does threaten, High ground is hwere its at.

OverdrivePrime
2009-01-11, 02:47 PM
My wife and I are well prepared for any emergency except a nuclear/biological attack. (no bomb shelter or NBC gear) For any other emergency, we're good to go in under a half hour, far less for most.

Karate isnt much use against zombies unless you can extend your soul into some sort of energy shield (That can be done can't it?)

Oh man any zombies that show up in my zone of influence are just completely screwed. Being awesome is my superpower. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BadassNormal) (Modesty too!) :smallbiggrin:

Fredthefighter
2009-01-11, 02:53 PM
My wife and I are well prepared for any emergency except a nuclear/biological attack. (no bomb shelter or NBC gear) For any other emergency, we're good to go in under a half hour, far less for most.
Oh man any zombies that show up in my zone of influence are just completely screwed. Being awesome is my superpower. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BadassNormal) (Modesty too!) :smallbiggrin:

Awesomeness doesn't mean the zombies won't kill you, it just means that it will take them longer to kill you. In the case of a zombie apocalypse, people will die starting with the least awesome. Eventually, the most awesome person on the planet will be left alive and due to food supplies not being completely infinite, will eventually starve to death and become a hearty meal for the zombies. With no food left the zombies will eat each other until there is one big fat zombie left who is now hungry for eternity. Maybe the big fat zombie (BFZ for short) begins to eat itself, congratulations to the BFZ, because the BFZ is now just a torso with a head.

RTGoodman
2009-01-11, 03:03 PM
Meh, I'm only moderately prepared, but I don't really have to worry.

Typhoon? Way too far from the coast and too high above sea level, too, probably. Terrible hell-storms? Well, the Appalachian Mountains block almost ALL of our big weather systems (including snow :smallmad:), leaving us with just remnants. Flooding? There's no major river for MILES, and even if the local lakes and creeks rose up, I live on the top of a giant hill. Volcanoes? None are anywhere CLOSE. Earthquakes? I don't think NC has ever had any besides just little minor ones, and since we're in the middle of our tectonic plate I don't think we have to worry. Riots? I live in the middle of NC farm country...

There are a few things that could be problematic. Hurricanes occur all the time, and NC is usually pretty hard-hit. We're far enough inland that it's not as bad as it is for the Outer Banks and coast, but a big enough system that moved directly towards us could at least knock out power and shut down services for several days. I think we're good on that, though.

Tornadoes would be VERY bad (since I live in a trailer), but our neighbors across the street live in a solidly-constructed house with a basement. We can usually get over there with both cats and anything necessary in a minute or two, so with enough warning we'd be alright.

Zombies? Well, I've always got the Survival Guide on hand, and I think we'd probably be able to hold out quite a while at the high school down the street. It's designed to withstand siege, it's got a LOT of food, and entrances, while many, are easily blocked. I've got a LOT of weapons (swords and axes and stuff, and my family owns several pistols), and most everyone else 'round here owns guns, too, so I think we could survive for quite a while.

Also, my dad is a newly promoted Master Sergeant (or maybe First Sergeant - I always forget which, after him being a SFC for so many years) in the NC National Guard, so we've also go military assistance at the push of a button. Like, he could probably pick up the phone and "call in the Guard." There're also several armories within driving distance, and we could hole up there, too, in the event of the living dead (or, i guess, other distasters, but I'm not worried about those).

Edan
2009-01-11, 03:49 PM
My family is fairly prepared. Year supply of food per person as well as several barrels of water as well as a potable well in the back yard. Not to mention all the other necessities such as heaters, blankets, radios and just about everything else imaginable. Also about a half ton of coal stored out back along with a few gallons of gas to run a generator for a few days. Plus, the basement of the house contains a fallout shelter and a gun safe with shotguns, rifles, handguns and several thousand rounds of ammo.

Not to mention living in Utah does have its benefits because emergency plans are in place based on the areas around the local churches so action can be taken organized and taken quickly.

My dad on the other hand is screwed. He thinks the world is ending and watches CNN 24/7 to be ready for the announcement that 2012 is real and we are all doomed. His plan consists of boarding himself up in his second story apartment with six bottles of whiskey, a hundred cartons of cigarettes, a .22 pistol about two hundred rounds and whatever food is in his pantry and filling his bathtub up with water.

Yet if zombies show up, I might just have to take that cyanide pill...

RS14
2009-01-11, 04:38 PM
I don't have a bug-out bag, but I've got basic camping gear handy. The big thing I'm lacking is stockpiled food. I've got some cash, but no transportation.

Phaedra
2009-01-11, 04:43 PM
Given that I live in the English midlands, I think the chances of any natural disaster/wild animal attack etc are pretty slim. If they do occur, I'm basically screwed. But that's a risk I'm willing to live with, 'cause I live life on the edge. Damn right.

Milanius
2009-01-11, 05:12 PM
I prepared "Summon MacGyver" this morning. Does that count?

In actuallity, closer to what Rabbits is packing, minus some sexy. Because, honestly, who could compete with her?MacGyver! It definitely counts.

I also didn't saw the 'military training' part. In case it counts for something, 9 months of army [air defence, actually] and basic infantry training, which means I can use this gun (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zastava_M70) without blowing my face off. :smalltongue:

edit: natural disasters dissected

Earthquakes - the area where I live is fairly calm, although there were some stronger EQ's in last several decades [Macedonia, Montenegro]. Even if something major goes down, building complex in my boulevard is solid armature concrete designed to sustain great deal of damage.

Tornadoes - Never had one; the only things rapid that happen here are strong autumn and winter winds, but that only manages to break tree branches in worst cases.

Volcanoes - hahahahahahaha*snort*hahahaha

Floods - With one [1] isolated exception [a small nearby river flooding its banks few years ago] we never had any floods in the area

...hoh yeah, only thing that worries me are zombies. Well, even they don't worry me, I forgot to mention that I have home-made baseball bat [oak] :smallamused:

Bonecrusher Doc
2009-01-11, 05:45 PM
The most probable emergency I can see happening where I live is an ice storm that knocks out power for several days. If that happens we've got a wood stove for heat, many gallons of water, flashlights, and some extra cash (small bills) in case the ATM/credit card lines are down.

Other than that we have a couple of bug-out bags prepared, and I have all my Army equipment in my home. A while back there was a chemical factory that caught on fire in our state and people in that town had to evacuate their homes. That's kind of what I kept in mind when packing the bug-out bags. You have to pack a lot more stuff when you have kids versus just packing for adults, so they're really heavy - but if there's some emergency where we have to spend a few nights in a shelter or at my parents' house we can just grab those on our way out the door and they will help us be a lot more comfortable.

I also have duct tape, face masks, a flashlight, and a radio in the half bath downstairs which is the best spot for sheltering-in-place.

One of these days I'd like to get a concealed carry permit and buy a handgun, but I'm going to be stationed in Europe for three years so I guess I'll wait until after we get back. I never thought I'd want one until I saw the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. Also I live in a much rougher town now than the place I grew up.

In case there's an uber-emergency, I'd like to think my immediate family and I would be taken care of by the military - we'd go on post where they have MREs and everything - but I think once I get out of the military I'll give more serious consideration to long-term preparedness.

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2009-01-11, 07:55 PM
Of course I'm prepared for all emergencies. You see, I have a kitty. Kitties are the solution to all problems. Earthquake? Have a kitty! The cuddles will make it all better. Monsoon? Play with a kitty. The silly pawing at a string is bound to bring laughter no matter how much water is flooding into my apartment. Zombie apocoplypse? Toss them my kitty at them to devour and limp for my life.

Then again, knowing Nike, that last one will work out with her tripping me, zombies overcoming me, and her scampering off into the sunset. :smallamused:

Alternative answer for the zombie apocolypse that I gave to a Playgrounder on Skype...

Me: Dude, the best place to be in a zombie apocolypse is an elementary school. Just toss them a random child every now and again to keep them fed.
Friend: What are you going to do for food?
Me: Roast child. They taste just like chicken.

:smalltongue:

KerfuffleMach2
2009-01-12, 12:35 AM

Well, as long as you know where your towel is, you're all set.

Anywho, I was in Scouts for several years, earning such merit badges as First Aid, Emergency Prep, and Wilderness Survival. So, I think I'd do ok.

BizzaroStormy
2009-01-12, 01:10 AM

First of all, as a furry, your comment offends me. Second, various knowledge from zombie games/movies/books would help much more than a shotgun, because it's that kind of logic which would tell you to smash your way through zombified police and take a swat van and gear. The internet would still be up for a while so communication would still be possible.

reorith
2009-01-12, 01:49 AM
no offense intended piratejesus.

is there like some version of godwin's law for zombies?

i have two caches of canned goodz. the first is legit and i rotate it out on a six month plan. the other is comprised of cans i pulled out of the cellar of an abandoned house as a slap in the face to the robert nevilles and s.t.a.l.k.e.r.s. that will be around after my demise.

Coidzor
2009-01-12, 01:58 AM
I'm not prepared for any emergencies. Hmm. I mean, I know where my medical supplies are, but I don't have much in the way of bandages. I have I guess rubbing alcohol but that's only going to disinfect painfully.

Wow. I am now depressed. Is there anything I can do to rectify the situation though... hmm... *ponders*

Alleine
2009-01-12, 02:05 AM
I, for one, welcome our emergency-inducing overlords.

Translation: I'm not ready, but nothing happens here so its all good.
The last earthquake we had? That was like a roller coaster, only it was free and waaaay shorter. Also no line.
We never have any water based or wind based disasters except for the occasional windstorm. But that won't knock over anything dangerous near our house. And in the event of a Zompocalypse, there is a military storage thingummy nearby.

reorith
2009-01-12, 02:21 AM
I'm not prepared for any emergencies. Hmm. I mean, I know where my medical supplies are, but I don't have much in the way of bandages. I have I guess rubbing alcohol but that's only going to disinfect painfully.

Wow. I am now depressed. Is there anything I can do to rectify the situation though... hmm... *ponders*

http://www.ready.gov/america/getakit/index.html

Solaris
2009-01-12, 03:36 AM
My location: Military outpost in the Sandbox (exact location undisclosed, but suffice to say there are a lot of palm groves around so forage would be easy as heck)
Disaster:

Sandstorm - Not even notice it.

Heat Wave - Sweat. A lot.

Blizzard - That's about as cranky as weather gets around here. And we're trained in -60. Nothing in the Middle East can compare to what we're used to.

War - ... Yeah, I know. Shu'up. Basic gist comes in two varieties: Mortar attack, in which case it's "hunker down in a bunker", or perimeter breach, in which case it's "the guy who bags the fewest buys the near-beers when we get back." I can't go into specifics, but we're well-prepared for either eventuality. We don't just have lots of guns, we're freakin' artillerymen.

Zombie Apocalypse - Engage, neutralize, and destroy the undead menace with direct and indirect fire utilizing crew-served weapons, rocket launchers, and our own carbines. Contrary to what that civilian-wrote Zombie Survival Guide will tell you, an M4 is one of the best weapons you can have in a situation where survival relies upon hitting a target in the head every time. It's pinpoint accurate up to 300-400 meters, more if you're actually a good shot. People telling stories about it jamming all the time are listening to before we knew how to maintain them and/or stories about the M16, which was one of the worst pieces of crap every to be churned out of US manufacturing facilities. The M16A2 has few of its predecessor's flaws.
We actually have an SOP for this eventuality posted in Tower #2. Talk about Crazy Prepared, eh?
The basic gist of it is as follows: Initial contact, barricade the front gate. Every man heads for a rooftop, each tower gets reinforced. Some brave bastard makes a run for the trucks, then we start shuttling out of the outpost. We head for the nearest FOB, hijack a Chinook, and make for way, way away from civilization. Eliminate any infected individuals before they turn. Show no mercy. We have the supplies to last us at least a month of siege, provided the perimeter isn't breached.

Personal skillsets:
I am a rough, tough, lean and mean U. S. Army killing machine. I'm trained in both armed and unarmed combat, have the mean-spirited attitude required to improvise weapons properly, and am trained in the use of the M4, M16, M203, M249, M240B, .50-cal HMG, Mk. 19, bayonet, hand grenades, and the AT-4 rocket launcher. I score sharpshooter on qualification.

I'm second only to the medics in medical training. I've received civilian first-aid training since the age of eight through the Cub Scouts and later Boy Scouts of America, CPR certification, Combat Lifesaver's training, and DMOC certification. If it's a wound, I can and will keep you alive. I will take it as a personal offense if someone bleeds out on me, considering I'll be busting out with tourniquets, gauze, and neat hemostatic control agents that aren't really available to civilians yet. If it's an injury... well, heck, what do you need me for? To hold your hand while you cry, you pansy? I got a splint in case you need it, but I'm fresh out of Kleenex.

I've trained in temperatures ranging from -60 to 160 degrees Fahrenheit, with and without wind, with and without precipitation. I won't like it, but I'll handle anything Mother Nature can throw at me. Weather is only a factor for visibility. And complaining about.
The motto we're looking for here is... well, "Arctic Tough" is what we say around officers. The other version is something along the lines of "Freaking Stupid".

I'm almost always equipped to head off and survive on my own for three days. I'm no Special Forces, but I've got a multi-tool and 210 rounds. I have basic survival know-how, such as how to distill water, where to get water, and what things are good to eat (Hint: Look at what the animals are eating, eat that, then eat the animals). I can build a makeshift shelter for most temperatures between 30 and your mother's oven, and can do without in most temperatures above freezing. Again, Arctic Tough.

I have received training in Escape and Evasion. My battery's team was the only one the instructors had ever encountered who not only got away scot-free at the first pick-up site, but also broke contact with the enemy so thoroughly that they had no clue where we were while we were no more than a quarter-mile away, the lot of us in a mostly-open field. A dozen men hiding in individual bushes maybe two feet tall. This was our first time on the course; this was not OPFOR's first time on the course.
Sadly, the instructors told us to not set an ambush that would've resulted in the enemy being completely neutralized. If you don't want us to kill the enemy, then don't tell us to bring weapons and ammo!
This isn't to be confused with the significantly more hardcore SERE course.

Physical fitness-wise, I score a 260 on the PT test. On a good day, I can bench-press 230 lbs (not bad considering I only weigh a buck-forty - that's lifting the equivalent of my body-weight, my battle-rattle, and an assault pack). I can fireman-carry almost three hundred pounds of dead weight and jog with it as far as I need to. I can run for several miles without undue exhaustion, though my stamina is naturally reduced when I'm running in battle rattle. I can ruck-march in full battle gear with a fifty-pound ruck twelve miles in a little under five hours, then drop my ruck and go back for other guys'.

I've also got this pesky attitude of "No man left behind." I may not be the most stable of soldiers, but I'm a stubborn little cuss.
... Dude, I'm a PC.

Val
2009-01-12, 03:54 AM
I always know where my towel is.
heat wave - bitch, drink water. not fat enough for it to kill me straight off like most americans.
sandstorm - . . . I HATE DESERTS!!! I refuse to live in one. A week in SoCal on tour was too much.
blizzard - *looks outside* like that one? not bothering me. I has much ramens. and beans and rice for proteins. and if I have to I will eat the ****ers raw. Also, last winter I frolicked in -20 windchill in a t-shirt without being uncomfortable. Since I have multiple heavy coats, I think I can probably handle worse. Though I'll still bitch.
thunderstorm - what kind of moron dies in a thunderstorm?
tornado - I live in the middle of the great plains. I should hope I know what to do by now.
hurricane - I'm ****ed.
zombie invasion - I own two crowbars.

medical training - durr, none. I can make myself stop bleeding. probably.
fitness - not what it was, but I'm not overweight, which puts me ahead of the median in this stupid country, and I will keep walking like a moron as long as someone convinces me there's a reason. and probably if they don't.
weapons skills/availability - crowbars, trained in tech crew. various knives, only non-combat training but plenty of that. throwing knife range - one meter. I suck. But within a meter, I'm fine. unarmed training - mosh pit? erm. I've watched some unarmed combat training stuff but that's unlikely to be more than minimal use. Book-knowledge of basic tactics. Sword - some training-through-experience, probably rusty.
forage - I will probably eat anything. and I distrust foods that are not worthy of trust.

furry invasion - have proven ability to befriend furries and not put foot in mouth. ;)

<spunky annoying-but-not-liability npc

_Zoot_
2009-01-12, 07:09 AM
Well,

My house has food and water supplies, im don't know how long they would last but we have them. Oh, im talking about a lot of food and a fair bit of water, and we can get more water.

I have pre-selected my anti-Zombie weapon, we have a rifle here at my house to, but my dad is the only one that is likely to be able to shoot strait.

I'm not a thin person at all and i don't know if this would be a good thing or a bad thing in a situation. I should be able to last longer than others with out food and i don't get bottered by cold conditions that have others turning blue, But im not able to run/other hard work for very long so that might mean that i get caught by the Zombies.....

I'm also an evil bastard so i think that should the option arise i would be able to do what ever was necessary to survive.

Jayabalard
2009-01-12, 07:27 AM
quick question, are you guys prepared for an emergency? not like "hurr der, i has a shotgun for raptor-zombie-nazi-furries so yeah." but like do you have a plan and supplies? do you have any useful skills? how about some experience?Yes, I'm generally prepared for hurricanes, though we do tend to pick a few things here and there right before one hits.

Solaris
2009-01-13, 06:40 AM
Anybody else think it funny how quickly the emergency preparedness turned to discussions of zombie preparedness with a token nod towards other emergencies?
It's 'cause they're out there, y'see. Lurking. Hunting. Watching. Waiting.
One day, their time will come... and all you who prepared for the 'real-world' disasters will be ghoul-chow while us 'nuts' will be nice, safe, and alive.

Illiterate Scribe
2009-01-13, 07:43 AM
I have a katana, and a laser sighted desert eagle with and expanded clip. I've read quite a few books on wilderness survival, and watched lots of Ray Mears.

Im ready for any emergence.

Grail
2009-01-13, 07:52 AM
I've actually trained in Ninjutsu, so unlike a lot of Internet posers, I can truly say that I am a Ninja, though it was a while ago and the quality of my Ninja-fu may vary.

I'm a cold-hearted bastard.

I can make a meal out of almost anything.

I can fish well. Including spear-fishing.

I have an unnerving sense of direction.

I can go long periods of time without sleep.

I'm fit, strong and have a cool-post apocylptic hero look that chicks dig.
:smallsmile: