PDA

View Full Version : OOTS is great second time round!!!

Kobold-Bard
2009-01-11, 02:44 AM
I have began rereading OOTS again.

Anyway I'm just up to the start of the Azure City trial, and I can't help but notice that its all funnier than last time I read it.

Now don't get me wrong, it's always been funny, but there have only ever been a handful that have made me actually laugh out loud. But now every 5 minutes I burst out laughing, to the point that my girlfriend threw me out of the bedroom for annoying her (it was 4am and I have some kind of insomnia).

Has anyone else noticed this, or is it just down to me being slightly sleep deprived?

On a final note I would like to recommend Start of Darkness to anyone who hasn't read it. I got it for Christmas (from the aforementioned girlfriend) and it's a must for fans of the comic.

Quorothorn
2009-01-11, 02:51 AM
Heh. IMO, most great comedies only get better on repeat viewing (often because the deep ones have things you'll simply miss the first time).

I'm also seconding the Start of Darkness recommendation. Best graphic novel/comics printed in a book since Calvin & Hobbes collections. Period.

Berserk Monk
2009-01-11, 02:51 AM
First off, Kobold Bard, if you're in your girlfriends bedroom at 4 A.M., and the only thing you can think of is to read a webcomic, your missing out on all the great benefits of having a girlfriend. I know you're a kobold, but you're also a bard. It's like a class requirement to seduce hot chicks. Use those bards abilities or you'll loose them.

Second, yeah, sometimes, you never notice how funny something is until you see it a second time.

Kobold-Bard
2009-01-11, 02:58 AM
First off, Kobold Bard, if you're in your girlfriends bedroom at 4 A.M., and the only thing you can think of is to read a webcomic, your missing out on all the great benefits of having a girlfriend.

Since this is an all-age forum I think I'll refrain from replying to that. The Baron is always watching. (See kids, not all Bards have an Int-score of 7 :smalltongue:)

But believe me when you haven't slept in three nights a 600-issue long webcomic is one of the few constants keeping me sane. Its comforting to know that theres always another issue. Hopefully I'll have slept before I get to Blind Pete or I could be in trouble.

Glad others agree with me. Make sure to reread the comic at least once. Its good when you notice little details you missed the first time round.

Berserk Monk
2009-01-11, 03:03 AM
Yeah, I plan on rereading oots at some point too. I'm not sure when. I'll probably wait until Roy is rezzed. Hopefully, with our heroes now in good terms with the thieves guild, that will be soon. But you never know. Rich could add another sidequest for Haley, Balkar, and Celia, or he might switch focus to another group of characters. I wouldn't mind the latter so much so long as we see what the Linear Guild has been up to.

:thog: "thog love ice cream"

Kobold-Bard
2009-01-11, 03:09 AM
Agreed. I miss Nale and co. I also miss team Evil. I was one of the few who cheered when Therkla passed because :vaarsuvius: (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0595.html) summed up my feelings regarding Azurite at sea perfectly. The comic should stick with the original villains.

But hey thats just me rambling.

David Argall
2009-01-11, 03:12 AM
But believe me when you haven't slept in three nights
You are in your girlfriend's bed.
You haven't slept in three nights.
Now are you complaining? Or bragging?

Berserk Monk
2009-01-11, 03:16 AM
You are in your girlfriend's bed.
You haven't slept in three nights.
Now are you complaining? Or bragging?

Yes!:smallbiggrin: David Argall, I award you the win medal for your awesome comment. This made me LOL. Feel free to put this in you sig.

Also, I kind of liked (or at least didn't hate) Therkla, and her death was really sad.:smallfrown: But then again, maybe if she didn't die, I've would have grown to hate her and wished she had.

Quorothorn
2009-01-11, 03:20 AM
Yes!:smallbiggrin: David Argall, I award you the win medal for your awesome comment. This made me LOL. Feel free to put this in you sig.

Also, I kind of liked (or at least didn't hate) Therkla, and her death was really sad.:smallfrown: But then again, maybe if she didn't die, I've would have grown to hate her and wished she had.

For some reason, I was completely in "don't really care" mode during Therkla's death. Never really connected to/liked her.

Also, what is with this talk of girlfriends and activities? What would one do with one's girlfriend at 4 am that would be more interesting than reading OotS? :smallconfused:

Berserk Monk
2009-01-11, 03:24 AM
Also, what is with this talk of girlfriends and activities? What would one do with one's girlfriend at 4 am that would be more interesting than reading OotS? :smallconfused:

:belkar: "Someone look up the AC on the beast with two backs!"

Quorothorn
2009-01-11, 03:28 AM
:belkar: "Someone look up the AC on the beast with two backs!"

[Upper-crust stereotypically-stuffy English accent.]Oh, dear, so uncivilized.[/Upper-crust stereotypically-stuffy English accent.]

Berserk Monk
2009-01-11, 03:34 AM
[Upper-crust stereotypically-stuffy English accent.]Oh, dear, so uncivilized.[/Upper-crust stereotypically-stuffy English accent.]

:durkon: "An' he [Belkar] wonders why we consid'red keepin' 'im gagged..."

Quorothorn
2009-01-11, 03:37 AM
:durkon: "An' he [Belkar] wonders why we consid'red keepin' 'im gagged..."

Call him a wondering person, then.

Firemage
2009-01-11, 07:18 AM
Call him a wondering person, then.

I think Belkar even qualifies for wondering monster

Tass
2009-01-12, 02:29 AM
What is everybodys problem. For all you know it could have been a workday the next morning, and they could have been sharing bed for years. He never said that it was her bedroom, he said the bedroom. Although there are fun things to do in the bed with ones girlfriend, sometimes you just need to sleep as well.

On the original topic. I regularly reread parts of the comic. Not from one end to the other, but typically i follow a link from the forum and then get caught reading from there. Its the same with novels. I read them through once. Later I stumble upon the book once in a while and just start reading at some random page. I think on average I have read every strip of OotS at least five times (same probably goes for LotR). But starting at the beginning, and then always picking up where I left - I only do that once.

[TS] Shadow
2009-01-12, 11:10 PM
Maybe, just maybe, there are things that you can do in a bedroom with your girlfriend that DOESN'T involve sex? Just saying. (I recommend Scrabble, but OotS works too.)

My situation is the same as well. I only had a basic knowledge of D&D before reading OotS. Knowing more and coming back, I laughed a lot more in the early parts of the strip's run.

Quorothorn
2009-01-12, 11:56 PM
I think Belkar even qualifies for wondering monster

*Facepalm.* Oh, the agony of such puns...

Vorynn
2009-01-13, 02:19 AM
I have began rereading OOTS again.

... just the once? Call me back next year :)

Since I got the dead tree editions, I've probably read through them 20 times each.. honestly I find that reading something I've read before is a great brain-shutting-down activity that helps me fall asleep, so I just loop through all the OOTS books (incl. SoD and OTOOPCs), reading 10-30 strips a night, then start over when I get to the end of the last book. However, unlike you I tend to not laugh as much anymore.. sure they're still funny, but they're also comfortable and familiar. It sure is nice when new books come out to extend the cycle though ;) Hooray for War and XPs! Bring on the next one!

Nothing can possibly recapture the laughter of the first time seeing the magnesium elemental though. :D

Tundar
2009-01-13, 02:32 AM
If you think OotS is great the second time you read it online, try reading the books.

I've been through most of the comic 3 times or so, but it's MUCH better on paper.

Berserk Monk
2009-01-14, 06:00 PM
Since I got the dead tree editions

I love you and will now be calling all books and pieces of paper dead trees edition and other similar names.

Linkavitch
2009-01-15, 03:14 PM
You know, the first time I read OotS, I completely missed the entire "Miko and the MitD chapter, right before the Azure City battle, as well as the second time the OotS visited the Oracle.

Samurai Jill
2009-01-20, 11:01 PM
Has anyone else noticed this, or is it just down to me being slightly sleep deprived?
Sometimes, yeah. Also... the sleep deprivation.
But yeah.

Thursday
2009-01-21, 10:07 AM
and there I was thinking I was the only Insomniac in York lurking about here...

eh, well, you're right, I re-read it quite a bit when I'm supposed to be working.

StingerUT
2009-01-21, 01:48 PM
The only thing ill comment on the gf topic is that i agree with David here, lol.
[/offtopic]

its so true. all the little puns get better each time you read it. also notice the artwork, and funny sound effects that appear quite regular.

when you're bored, go read OoTs. when you're done, start over.

Lothar Hill
2009-01-22, 06:23 AM
Nothing can possibly recapture the laughter of the first time seeing the magnesium elemental though. :D

Titanium???

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0423.html

King of Nowhere
2009-01-22, 07:01 AM
Read it the second time??? I'm not sure I read oots a dozen times, but I surely comes near it.
I can't wait to get the last book, it's much better to read it in paper comfortably in your bed rather than on a pc screen.