PDA

View Full Version : Approximate cost of Custom Item?

Sacrath
2009-01-11, 03:44 AM
Normally I wouldn't worry about how much an item like this would cost, but the party has an artificer and he may want to cannibalize it for Craft Reserve.

Rod of Energy Transmutation

This steel rod is two foot long and tipped with a lead fork on one end and a gold fork on the other. Three times per day it can change the energy damage a spell does to any of the following types: Fire, Cold, Electricity, Sonic, Positive Energy or Negative Energy.

Eloel
2009-01-11, 04:49 AM
Normally I wouldn't worry about how much an item like this would cost, but the party has an artificer and he may want to cannibalize it for Craft Reserve.

Rod of Energy Transmutation

This steel rod is two foot long and tipped with a lead fork on one end and a gold fork on the other. Three times per day it can change the energy damage a spell does to any of the following types: Fire, Cold, Electricity, Sonic, Positive Energy or Negative Energy.

It would be worth ALOT, if positive/negative energy is included. ALOT being around double Quicken

Heliomance
2009-01-11, 04:55 AM
I think it's fairly safe to say he won't want to cannibalise that. It is an awesome item.

Jasdoif
2009-01-11, 05:41 AM
"Change the energy damage a spell does to positive energy?" I'm thinking minor artifact, honestly.

Sacrath
2009-01-11, 02:28 PM
Yea, with some sleep I can see what you mean. I'll make it a magic location instead. The party need some way to do a variety of different energy types to bypass the defenses of this guardian I have set up. Having them lure it into a room is a better solution than giving them an artifact level item. Thanks guys.

Baron Corm
2009-01-11, 05:22 PM
Let's see. Conversion to anything but negative or positive energy is an existing +0 metamagic.

Lord of the Uttercold allows you to deal 50% negative energy, still at +0 spell level.

I think it would be safe to make the negative energy aspect +1 at most.

Using a 20d6ish spell to heal with positive energy would heal an average of 70 damage. That's less than half of what heal always heals, and will take up a higher level spell slot. Not really overpowered.

I would put the positive energy aspect at +2 at most (though this part is mostly eyeballing). That would give you a +3 metamagic rod, which can be used on all spell levels, for a cost of 121,500 gp.

DracoDei
2009-01-11, 05:53 PM
Did you remember to multiply by the number of +0 metamagics before adding the cost of the +1 and +2 (with appropriate modifiers for mulitple abilities)?

I am just checking...

Baron Corm
2009-01-11, 07:37 PM
Did you remember to multiply by the number of +0 metamagics before adding the cost of the +1 and +2 (with appropriate modifiers for mulitple abilities)?

I am just checking...

No, I just looked at the maximize rod :P

DracoDei
2009-01-11, 08:58 PM
Yeah... this is actually probably going to be more...