PDA

View Full Version : A Deal's a Deal, Even With a Dirty Dealer [PrC]

The Demented One
2006-10-19, 10:55 PM
Devil’s Advocate
Of all forms of law extant in the universe, it is said that the most complicated, fiendishly snarled and twisted in on itself like the worm Ouroboros, is that of the Nine Hells. The plane and its diabolic inhabitants are ruled by a set of complex, draconian laws more like a living thing than a legal code. The devils themselves, though ruled by these laws, do not delve into the study of them–they much prefer to commit acts of evil, and wickedness. Though some do take up the way of the scholar, most simply take up the advocacy of a mortal skilled in the ways of contracts and laws, to serve as their legal advisors. Of these mortal barristers, the highest are known as Devil’s Advocates, those who are directly in the employ of one of the infamous Lords of the Nine. Though often mages, no skill at magic is needed to become an Advocate–instead, these individuals are so skilled in the ways of devilish law that they can use it to reshape reality.

d6 HD

Requirements
To qualify to become a Devil’s Advocate, you must fulfill all the following criteria.
Alignment: Lawful Evil
Feats: Disciple of Darkness (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Disciple_Of_Darkness,BV), Evil Brand (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Evil_Brand,FC1)
Skills: Knowledge (The Planes) 8 ranks, Profession (Lawyer) 8 ranks, Sense Motive 4 ranks
Languages: Must speak Infernal

Class Skills
The Devil’s Advocate’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Forgery (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (The Planes) (Int), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis)
Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier.

{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Spellcasting
1st|+0|+0|+0|+2|Infernal Contract|–
2nd|+1|+0|+0|+3|Give the Devil His Due|+1 level of spellcasting class
3rd|+1|+1|+1|+3|Eidetic Memory|+1 level of spellcasting class
4th|+2|+1|+1|+4|The Devil Deals the Cards|+1 level of spellcasting class
5th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Called to the Stand|–
6th|+3|+2|+2|+5|Devil’s Own Truth|+1 level of spellcasting class
7th|+3|+2|+2|+5|Infernal Egress|+1 level of spellcasting class
8th|+4|+2|+2|+6|Diabolic Contract|+1 level of spellcasting class
9th|+4|+3|+3|+6|Labyrinthine Laws|+1 level of spellcasting class
10th|+5|+3|+3|+7|Deal with the Devil|–
[/table]

Class Features
All the following are class features of the Devil’s Advocate prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
You gain no additional weapon or armor proficiencies.

Spellcasting
Whenever you gain a new Devil’s Advocate level except at 1st, 5th, and 10th levels, you gain new spells per day and spells known as if he had also gained a level in a spellcasting class he belong to before he added the prestige class level. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained.

Infernal Contract (Su)
Once per day, you may write up a contract between any two parties, one of which may be yourself. Writing the contract takes thirty minutes and requires you to make a DC 20 Profession (Lawyer) check. Once both parties have signed the contract–and they must sign it of their own free will–it is enacted. The physical contract is summoned into the records of the Nine Hells, though both you and all who signed receive a copy of it within one week, delivered by an imp. Once signed, the contract is permanent until all of its terms have been fulfilled, even if both parties desire to renege on it.

The contract is enforced by the will of the Lords of the Nine, the archdevils. Any member of a party that breaks the terms of the contract becomes cursed, as the bestow curse spell, with a curse of the DM’s choice. The curse is unavoidable–the member may not make a save against it, and spell resistance does not apply. A remove curse or break enchantment spell with a caster level of 8th or higher can remove the curse–the archdevils do not give much care to an oathbreaker after the first time he is punished–and the curse is lifted if its subject can fulfill the terms of the contract.

The contract need not necessarily be free of loopholes and escape routes. You may choose to have the contract be as ambiguous or as specific as you choose when you write it up, though both signing parties are opposed to a Profession (Lawyer) check, opposed by the check you made when writing up the contract, to notice any potentially exploitable parts of the contract.

Give the Devil His Due (Ex)
At 2nd level, you achieve a position of status within the infernal hierarchy. Certain types of devils are subordinate to you, the exact types depending on your class level. You get a circumstance bonus on Cha-based skill checks made to influence subordinate devils equal to your class level, and the initial attitude of a subordinate devil towards you is always one step higher than normal. When you use the planar ally or planar binding spell to summon a subordinate devil, you need not trap it with a magic circle, nor bargain with it–it complies with your requests without asking anything in return. To determine whether a devil not listed below is subordinate to you, compare its CR to that of other devil’s subordinate to you. If it is equal to or less than that of another subordinate devil, than it is subordinate to you.

{table="head"]Level|Devils
2nd-3rd|Imps, Lemures
4th-5th|Barbazus, Kytons
6th-7th|Bezekiras, Erinyes
8th-9th|Osyluths
10th|Hamatulas
[/table]

Eidetic Memory (Ex)
At 3rd level, you acquire total recall of all legal matters you are involved with. You can recall with utter clarity the exact circumstances of a trial, countless pages of contracts and briefs, endless minutia in regards to witnesses you have questioned, and so on.

The Devil Deals the Cards (Sp)
At 4th level, your infernal acumen lets you stack the odds in your favor, taking out a supernatural insurance policy of sorts. Writing up this contract takes ten minutes and a DC 20 Profession (Lawyer) check. Once signed, the contract fades away. You may then gain the benefits of the stalwart pact spell, with a caster level equal to your class level. At 6th level, you may choose to instead gain the benefits of the zealot pact spell; at 8th level, the renewal pact spell; and at 10th level, the death pact spell. You may only have one such pact active at a time–whenever you use this ability, any old pacts active on you are dissolved.

Called to the Stand (Sp)
Once per day, at 5th level, you may summon a devil of any type that is subordinate to you, as the summon monster spells, with a caster level equal to your class level. If the devil summoned to fight at least one chaotic opponent, you may either instead summon 1d3 devils of that type or have this ability’s duration be extended. If the devil is summoned to fight demons, both of the above effects apply.

Devil’s Own Truth (Sp)
At 6th level, you are constantly surrounded by a zone of truth, with caster level equal to your class level and a DC of 10 + your class level + the higher of your Int or Wis modifier. You, other Devil’s Advocates, and devils are immune to the effects of the zone of truth.

Infernal Egress (Sp)
At 7th level, you are invested with a limited ability to teleport, like that of a devil. Once per day, you may travel to any location within 1 mile of a creature currently under the terms of an infernal contract you have written up, as the spell greater teleport. Alternatively, you may plane shift to any layer of the Nine Hells. Regardless of which ability you use, only you are transported in this way. Either ability has a caster equal to your class level.

Diabolic Contract (Su)
At 8th level, any character that breaks the terms of an infernal contract you have written up is either affected as by the greater bestow curse spell or the geas spell, rather than the bestow curse spell.

Labyrinthine Laws (Sp)
At 9th level, you gain the ability to trap a foe in a small demiplane that is a manifestation of the infernal legal code. Once per day, as a standard action, you may attempt to trap a foe within 30 ft. of you. If he fails a Will save, DC 10 + your class level + the higher of your Int or Wis modifier, or become trapped in the deminplanar labyrinth. Each round, the trapped creature may attempt to find a manifested loophole in the fabric of the plane that will allow it to return by making a DC 20 Intelligence or Profession (Lawyer) check as a full round action. If the subject doesn’t escape, it is ejected from the demiplane after 1 minute per class level. On escaping or leaving the demiplane, the subject reappears where it had been when this ability was used. If this location is filled with a solid object, the subject appears in the nearest open space. Spells and abilities that move a creature within a plane, such as teleport and dimension door, do not help a creature escape the demiplane, although a plane shift spell allows it to exit to whatever plane is designated in that spell.

Deal with the Devil
At 10th level, you may draw up the highest form of contract known to devilkind, known amongst occult barristers as the Infernal Writ. Writing up the Infernal Writ requires you to spend a week in work, eight hours each day, and to make a DC 35 Profession (Lawyer) check. Once you have written up the Infernal Writ, you must have it signed by all of the Lords of the Nine to take effect. The archdevils will normally sign it immediately upon being presented with it, but you must travel to their domain, and take it to them–they won’t come calling for you. In addition, each archdevil refuses to sign unless all archdevils below them in rank have signed it.

Once Asmodeus, Lord of the Ninth, has given his signature, the Infernal Writ is enacted. The contract itself permanently fuses with your soul, providing you with a direct conduit to the power of the Lords of the Nine. Your type changes to outsider, and you gain the Baatezu and native subtypes. You gain damage reduction 10/good and, along with the Baatezu subtype, immunity to fire and poison, resistance to acid 10 and cold 10, the ability to see in supernatural darkness, and telepathy out to 100 ft.

Jarl
2006-10-19, 11:47 PM
What if you change alignments?

-I like it. Very diabolical.

The Demented One
2006-10-20, 12:33 AM
What if you change alignments?

-I like it. Very diabolical.
Same thing that happens when you don't meet the requirements of any prestige class. No abilities for you!

Fax Celestis
2006-10-20, 12:36 AM
Same thing that happens when you don't meet the requirements of any prestige class. No abilities for you!
Sorry to burst your bubble, D1, but that's not the case. Otherwise Ur-Priest (et al) would be a paradox. You've only got to meet the reqs for the first level.

Classes that lose powers specify (like the Blackguard).

The Demented One
2006-10-20, 12:42 AM
Sorry to burst your bubble, D1, but that's not the case. Otherwise Ur-Priest (et al) would be a paradox. You've only got to meet the reqs for the first level.

Classes that lose powers specify (like the Blackguard).
Ur-Priest and Dragon Disciple are exceptions to the rule, silly little things were the class grants things that break the requirements. Gimme a moment, and I'll dig up the page number.

Cybren
2006-10-20, 12:48 AM
i hope that's a futurama reference!

The Demented One
2006-10-20, 12:57 AM
i hope that's a futurama reference!
Indeed it is friend, indeed it is.

Jack_Simth
2006-10-20, 12:58 AM
Ur-Priest and Dragon Disciple are exceptions to the rule, silly little things were the class grants things that break the requirements. Gimme a moment, and I'll dig up the page number.
3.5, about the only place you'll find it is in... Complete Warrior, I think it was.

The rule existed in the 3.0 DMG, but it never addressed things like the Dragon Disciple at all (at least, not in the books - and Dragon Disciple was in the 3.0 DMG...) with what happens when they reach their 10th level.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2006-10-20, 02:19 AM
Very well! then I'll take what I want from Leeeeeelaaaaaaaa!

Edit: Oh hey...Now I've been inspired to make a fiendish graft. The Devil's Hands!

Captain van der Decken
2006-10-20, 11:07 AM

Deal with the Devil
At 10th level, you may draw up the highest form of contract known to devilkind, known amongst occult barristers as the Infernal Writ. Writing up the Infernal Writ requires you to spend a week in work, eight hours each day, and to make a DC 35 Profession (Lawyer) check. Once you have written up the Infernal Writ, you must have it signed by all of the Lords of the Nine to take effect. The archdevils will normally sign it immediately upon being presented with it, but you must travel to their domain, and take it to them–they won’t come calling for you. In addition, each archdevil refuses to sign unless all archdevils below them in rank have signed it.

Once Asmodeus, Lord of the Ninth, has given his signature, the Infernal Writ is enacted. The contract itself permanently fuses with your soul, providing you with a direct conduit to the power of the Lords of the Nine. Your type changes to outsider, and you gain the Baatezu and native subtypes. You gain damage reduction 10/good and, along with the Baatezu subtype, immunity to fire and poison, resistance to acid 10 and cold 10, the ability to see in supernatural darkness, and telepathy out to 100 ft.

So they have to quest to get their final abilities? I like that, but can see some people just glossing over that part.

What happens if their alignment changes anyway?
A deal's a deal and all that.

ishi
2006-10-20, 12:52 PM
3.5, about the only place you'll find it is in... Complete Warrior, I think it was.

The rule existed in the 3.0 DMG, but it never addressed things like the Dragon Disciple at all (at least, not in the books - and Dragon Disciple was in the 3.0 DMG...) with what happens when they reach their 10th level.

Dragon Disciple is DMG 3.5; Ur-Priest is BoVD or Complete Divine.

On-Topic: Absolutely love the class, D1.

Jack_Simth
2006-10-27, 04:26 PM
ishi:

The Dragon Disciple was also a 3.0 PrC in addition to being a 3.5 PrC; it had the same type change, and the same nondragon requirement, in 3.0 as it does in 3.5.

The rule that if you lose a pre-requisite for a PrC, you lose all of that PrC's class features was in the 3.0 DMG; it's not in the 3.5 DMG, but it is in one of the Completes - I think it was Complete Warrior - which is a 3.5 source.

The 3.0 DMG did not address the Dragon Disciple self-contradiction at 10th level. The 3.5 DMG doesn't address it either, but it also does not include the rule that makes a 10th level Dragon Disciple self-contradictory in the first place.

Complete Warrior (I think that was it, anyway - don't have my books in front of me) also does not address what is supposed to happen with the classes that become self-contradictory due to that rule. RAW, there is no listing that they are exceptions.

Sure, it's obvious that such transformational classes aren't supposed to go kaboom at the end.... totally obvious. As obvious as my spelking mistaeks. More. As written, they tend to have a bit of a conundrum.

Captain van der Decken
2006-10-28, 05:37 AM
If you think about it, by changing alignment you're also probably breaking the deal. I'd expect something to come after you aswell.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2006-11-06, 03:55 AM
Is it possible to get the table fixed? I can't read it at all.

The Demented One
2006-11-06, 07:35 AM
Is it possible to get the table fixed? I can't read it at all.
Okay, got it done.

NullAshton
2006-11-06, 07:50 AM
The rule for needing to keep the requirements is only when using things like Psychic Formation. You need to have the requirements before the prestige class levels. Changing alignment is just fine unless it says otherwise.

OneNutLeft
2006-11-06, 10:06 AM
very cool i like it, this will be a nice new edition to my ongoing campaign

Nocte
2006-11-06, 01:31 PM
Lawyers + Devils...

:S

This is something really scary.

The Demented One
2006-11-06, 07:15 PM
Lawyers + Devils...
Not +, but =

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-11-06, 07:31 PM
Dragon Disciple was not in the 3.0 DMG. It was introduced in Tome and Blood.

Anyway, the DMG is the primary source on general PrC rules. It takes precedence over Complete Warrior.

Mewtarthio
2006-11-06, 07:46 PM
I'd expect that changing alignment would cause a bunch of devils to come and kill you horribly.

Jack_Simth
2006-11-06, 08:31 PM
Dragon Disciple was not in the 3.0 DMG. It was introduced in Tome and Blood.

Anyway, the DMG is the primary source on general PrC rules. It takes precedence over Complete Warrior.

Ah, so it isn't. You're right.

Fualkner Asiniti
2006-11-09, 12:08 AM
Great class. Evil lawyers rock. But of course, are there any other kind?*

*Except for Phoenix Wright.