PDA

View Full Version : Good Names For A Bar...

Fin
2009-01-11, 12:56 PM
Ok, I know this is a pretty random question to be asking, but I figure this is a pretty random place. Basically my dad and i have decided to open up a bar! Its only at the drawing board stage at the moment, we are still looking for premises (although a favourite has emerged already!)

Any way we haven't got round to discussing what its going to be called. I have put some thought into this myself but keep coming up empty handed. So I'm throwing this out to you guys. I just need ideas really so if you guys have a bar in your hometown that you really like let me know what its called or alternatively just spout out whatever you can think of that would make a bar sound like an attractive establishment to you. The only stipulation I have is it cannot be called something like 'Andy's Bar' or some other <insert-first-name-here>'s bar. I just don't like that gimmick at all.

So over to you...

TRM
2009-01-11, 01:58 PM
Ooh! Shadow runs a bar, you should ask him for advice!

The Round Table(...haha!)

Or something simple like The Local Swallowing Hole. (it get's worse. Where's our friend the reaper?)

Seriously. Is there a specific feel you're going for, or is it just going to be a "typical" bar? (I hope you know what I mean.) This will influence name ideas (if it's a sci-fi-themed bar, it will change everything.

Simple is best, I think. Good Taste Bar (now with double entendres) is the only semi-serious idea I have right now—I'm not much of a bar-goer myself.

Sneak
2009-01-11, 02:02 PM
How about Exam? So it can be the bar Exam?

Or maybe Raise? So it can be Raise the bar?

Perhaps even And Grill? So it can be the bar And Grill?

What about—

Okay, I think I'm done. :smalltongue:

I'll post later if I can actually think of something. I'm a minor, so I haven't really been doing much barhopping lately. :smallwink:

xPANCAKEx
2009-01-11, 02:02 PM
the broken drum

Phase
2009-01-11, 02:03 PM
The Wobbly Spitoon

The Drunk Monkey

TRM
2009-01-11, 02:04 PM
How about Exam? So it can be the bar Exam?

Or maybe Raise? So it can be Raise the bar?

Perhaps even And Grill? So it can be the bar And Grill?

What about—

Okay, I think I'm done. :smalltongue:
In that vein, we could have:

bar The Way
bar Tender
bar Bell
bar Rista

Hmmm... I like Bar Rista. Rista sounds classy.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-01-11, 02:05 PM
In that vein, we could have:

bar The Way
bar Tender
bar Bell
bar Rista

Hmmm... I like Bar Rista. Rista sounds classy.

I was thinking "None", as in "Bar None"

Sneak
2009-01-11, 02:06 PM
Paddy's Irish Pub? :smalltongue:

Actually, I like Bar Rista too...

EDIT: Bar BQ? :smallwink:

bosssmiley
2009-01-11, 02:08 PM
"The <creature> and <object>" is a typical form for creating pseudo-traditional English pub names. Others are "The <trades'> Arms" or "The <notable historical figure>".

That gets you things like The Slug & Lettuce, The Boilermakers Arms, the Hero of Aliwal, The Moon Underwater (pace Orwell)...

TRM
2009-01-11, 02:09 PM
Yes. I like it. :smallsmile:

But what I like more about BarRista is everyone could call it Rista, as in: "Let's head over to Bar Rista," or "That new bar, Rista, that just opened up is really great!"

Hmmm... Mostly I'm hurt because no one appreciated my earlier "puns," (if you can call them that. V_V :P

BRC
2009-01-11, 02:11 PM
APriest,aRabbi,andaLawerwalkintoa

Kneenibble
2009-01-11, 02:11 PM
"The King of Clubs"

ghost_warlock
2009-01-11, 02:13 PM

Or, Mr. Good. As in "Mr. Goodbar."

Yummy. :smallsmile:

@OP: Do you have a theme? Is it going to be more of a pub, tavern, or sports bar? Will you be possibly having live music at some point?

Fredthefighter
2009-01-11, 02:15 PM
How about "The Dancing Dervish" it sounds cool, plus it sounds mysterious.
(A Dervish is some sort of pistol master or something)

Kneenibble
2009-01-11, 02:21 PM
The Dancing Dervish does sound pretty cool, Fredz, but a dervish is actually a species of Muslim ascetic.

Thes Hunter
2009-01-11, 02:26 PM
Cheapshots (it also has pool tables)
The Library (with it's own tag line "When mom calls, tell her I am at the library)

Yes, these are actual bars...

Lerky
2009-01-11, 02:37 PM
I ran a tavern called The Dancing Fox Inn on the Town. I also got a few other names...what did I like again...hm...ah! The Blue Bard Inn? Scarlett Flask Tavern. I dunno these sound kinda Fantasy tavernish.

usually when I have trouble with names I look up Name Generators on google. This one (http://www.paper-dragon.com/fantasyland/tavernnamegen.html)was a toughy to find and most of the names seem to fantasy but it spits out a few good ones like:

Golden Griphin Taproom
Rouge Barrel Lodge
Vagabond Clubhouse
Nine Traveller Taproom
Staggering Giant Tavern

names like those could work, right? ...right? ...right?

Sneak
2009-01-11, 02:39 PM
Trog's Tavern.

Copacetic
2009-01-11, 02:53 PM
The Gormless Orangitang
The Inebreated Tapir
The Cavalier Whale-shark

Don Julio Anejo
2009-01-11, 03:04 PM
- The Joke.
- Tequila Sunrise (although then you'd have to serve good tequila like Don Julio)
- Arabian Nights
- Gossip (if you're making a very girly bar)
- O'(random Irish surname)'s
- Mac(random Scottish surname)'s

Moff Chumley
2009-01-11, 03:14 PM
The Rail? :smalltongue:

afroakuma
2009-01-11, 03:51 PM
Depends on what sort of feel you're going for.

Classy, modern bar, things like Onyx, Rain etc.

Pub or the like: often tied to a specific European heritage: The Fiddler's Pub, Peddler's Pub, The Dead Crow...

Or you could go even farther and choose local historical symbolism: The Triangle, The Sailor's Rest...

Allysian
2009-01-11, 04:32 PM
You guys are horrible. :smallbiggrin:

afroakuma
2009-01-11, 04:47 PM
What? What did I do? :smallfrown:

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2009-01-11, 04:48 PM
What good is a suggestion from your friendly neighborhood Bor without some story behind it?

While writing my first movie script, House Broken, I needed the name of a bar and grill for the two main characters to meet. I kept thinking of some kind of product placement, but really didn't want to go the route of TGI Friday's or Olive Garden, mostly because sinking to that point wasn't something I wanted to get stuck with. Those contracts to make movies can be tricky, and if I ever sold the script, I'd hate to be obligated, or see someone else obligated, to eat at only one place for the next year or so. (Yes, those who agree to finance a movie with placement of their product can be pushy like that.)

So I was sitting there, trying to think of a name, and the popular places kept coming to mind. No, it needs to be somewhere else, I'd think. Somewhere else...something other than a place that's nauseatingly commercial...somewhere else...somewhere else...That's it! SOMEWHERE ELSE!

Thus, the two characters agree to meet "Somewhere Else." :smallbiggrin:

Shoot me for liking the play on words, but I like the idea of answering, "Where are you going?" with "Somewhere Else." :smalltongue:

Dallas-Dakota
2009-01-11, 04:55 PM
Trog's Tavern.
So seconded.

That, or Bar Absinthe....:smalltongue:

smellie_hippie
2009-01-11, 04:56 PM
Following Bor's joke... you should name it "I dunno".

first drinker: Where do you wanna go?

second drinker: :smallamused:

RTGoodman
2009-01-11, 05:04 PM
Like the others (or, at least, the serious ones) said, it all depends on the type of bar you want and the atmosphere you're trying to create.

I usually hang out in Irish pubs, and most of them have the traditional Irish pub-type names - M'Coul's Public House, The Claddagh, and stuff like that. Other places I frequent are named after famous people (Natty Greene's, named after Nathaniel Greene), or after places in the area (The Green Burro is cleverly named after the city it's in, Greensboro). Otherwise, I like the British system of "The [Thing] and the [Thing]," or, at least "The [Adjective] [Thing]."

Also, Bor's a genius - Somewhere Else is a great name for neighborhood bar.

Lupy
2009-01-11, 05:30 PM
The Dancing Fox... It'll be funny for everyone who plays town!

Athaniar
2009-01-11, 05:38 PM
Parhaps something relating to where it will be located, such as a myth or legend, a terrain feature, ancient ruins, animals, etc.?

Rutskarn
2009-01-11, 06:24 PM
I'm going to unleash a torrent of suggestions, knowing full well many will be unusable.

The Iced Cage, Cool River, Turkish Bath, The Gilded Oasis, Icicle, Nordic Surf, Fresh Aire, Chocolate Hammer, Palm Shade, Spring Water.

That's it, off the top of my head.

eidreff
2009-01-11, 06:39 PM
How about the "Welcome Inn"?

We have a Bar None in the town-let that I live in!!

Also there are various Red Bears, Green Dragons and White Harts scattered about the place.

The funniest name I saw was a pub called the Plough Inn, which was sited next to a busy and sometimes dangerous junction..... I'm not sure where it was just an old name or an invitation to drivers.

Lert, A.
2009-01-11, 06:45 PM
The Thirsty Tribble.

The Wolfish Lamb. Beware of cougars.

Sobriety House.

Neon Knight
2009-01-11, 06:48 PM
Drink. Cause' after you've had a few, who cares what the bar is named?

Fin
2009-01-11, 06:56 PM
At the moment 'Bar Rista' is definately the favourite from the suggestions here althoug we haven't nailed it yet. I also really liked 'Palm Shade' so kudos is going out to The Rogue Monk and Rutskarn!

It terms of atmosphere its going to be cheap and cheerful. Somewhere you can get a light meal in the day for lunch sitting out in the sun, I live near to the sea, and have some cheap drinks in the evening. There will also be some TV screens for the sport and music channels.

Southport (where I live) is a fairly old town, Victorian architecture is everywhere including most of the buildings we are looking at. So take that into account aswell. One name I did come up with that I liked was 'The Townhouse' and I'd like to know what you think.

EDIT: There is also as 'Bar None' in Southport already, so that name is out!

EDIT II: What is Shadow's bar called, I was playing WW games throughout the creation process of that place and I never once caught its name! :smalltongue:

Rutskarn
2009-01-11, 07:01 PM
Alright, here's another brain-dump.

Sunstone, Good Vibes, The Dockhouse, The Tea Crate, Seagull's Nest, Sea Air, Salt Breeze.

Moff Chumley
2009-01-11, 08:09 PM
The Giant? The Giant in the Playground? The playground? The Giant and the Playground? You see where I'm going with this, do you not?

Jamin
2009-01-11, 08:16 PM
How about the Grim Reaper so people know what they are getting into

Grail
2009-01-11, 08:19 PM
Pub
We Get You Drunk
Beer Inside
Wet Ya Whistle
Grog Shop
Great Booze Up
No Fat Chicks
Fin's House of Sin (poledancing and beer go well together)

Moff Chumley
2009-01-11, 08:21 PM
*headdesk*

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2009-01-11, 09:15 PM
The Library (with it's own tag line "When mom calls, tell her I am at the library)

Yes, these are actual bars...

Been to Columbus Lately?

I kinda like "I love this Bar" and grill, Toby Keith's restaurant/bar in Vegas. Another one I like is Cancun Cantina (country bar near where I lived in MD).

RTGoodman
2009-01-11, 09:38 PM
We Get You Drunk

Heh, I like that - it reminds me of the Chappelle's Show skit about Sam Jackson Beer. :smallbiggrin:

@pgco'D: I think there're bars called "The Library" all over the place. I specifically know of one in Boone, NC (home of Appalachian State Univ.) which I've been to, and I think there's on near either UNC or NCSU, too, I think.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2009-01-11, 09:55 PM
I like Get You Drunk as well.

mathemagician
2009-01-12, 11:47 AM
Crow Bar? Bar Bell? Bar F? :P Beerded Lady? :P

In a parallel to "The Library" you could also manage "The Office." "Honey, I'm going to be late, I'm going to get stuck at the office all night..."

"Friendlies"
"The Docks"

Griever
2009-01-12, 01:39 PM
EDIT II: What is Shadow's bar called, I was playing WW games throughout the creation process of that place and I never once caught its name! :smalltongue:

Bar Blu, I think, Fin.

jazz1m
2009-01-12, 03:52 PM
Hmmmm....

Reaction Bar

W.S.I.P.
Radio station-themed bar maybe?

The Drinking Room

The King of Cups

Flickerdart
2009-01-12, 04:18 PM
The best name I've ever seen for a bar was the Loading Bar. Obviously, though, it's taken.

If you want it to be a light, casual place, you probably don't want the tavern-y names (even though the potential for You All Meet At A Tavern jokes is there). Something more modern, but not pretentious. Don't go with the Fu Bar, either, unless you have an odd sense of humour.

UncleWolf
2009-01-12, 04:24 PM
Maybe this will help get the creative juices flowing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzYof5GjhQ8:smallbiggrin::smalltongue:

Lets see, The Empresses' Golden Lock has been taken(I'm pretty sure, funny story behind that too).

I really don't know.

ufo
2009-01-12, 04:26 PM
The Scumm Bar.

TRM
2009-01-12, 08:19 PM
At the moment 'Bar Rista' is definately the favourite from the suggestions here althoug we haven't nailed it yet. I also really liked 'Palm Shade' so kudos is going out to The Rogue Monk and Rutskarn!

It terms of atmosphere its going to be cheap and cheerful. Somewhere you can get a light meal in the day for lunch sitting out in the sun, I live near to the sea, and have some cheap drinks in the evening. There will also be some TV screens for the sport and music channels.

*warm fuzzies*

Bar Blu, I think, Fin.
I'm not sure if that's the actual name; we should ask someone that really knows. Though, I have heard that used to refer to Shadow's bar, yes.

Sneak
2009-01-12, 08:26 PM
I'm pretty sure that this is Shadow's bar. (http://www.barblujoliet.com/home.php)

TRM
2009-01-12, 08:32 PM
I'm pretty sure that this is Shadow's bar. (http://www.barblujoliet.com/home.php)
I was wrong then.

I spent forever trying to find that website a few months ago. They must not have updated it when I was looking...

>_>

Creepy, much?

<_<

I didn't, really. :smalltongue:

Fjolnir
2009-01-12, 08:59 PM
I always find that things like the "dew drop" or the "come along" work for inns if you want to be playful, sometimes referencing travel or rest is a good way to pull people in if you're in a location that is near a highway or other form of mass road style infrastructure playful names like the office or the library or something like that are fine depending on geography but there's usually at least one around in those areas it makes sense

RTGoodman
2009-01-12, 09:00 PM

Huh, I didn't know about that - if that was there around St. Patrick's Day 2007, I think some friends and I probably almost ended up there. Me and two other friends were in Joliet that weekend for an English Language & Literature conference at the University of St. Francis, and we drove around that part of town several times trying to find a bar/pub to go to for dinner. We ended up at the Chicago Street Pub, but still... small world, huh?

Jack Squat
2009-01-12, 09:04 PM
I always thought Zero Vector would be a good name for a bar.

Hangover as well (or swap it around and call it Overhang).

Canadian
2009-01-12, 09:16 PM
Call it...

Hip Hops

You can serve awesome microbrew beers and play urban music.

KuReshtin
2009-01-13, 04:05 PM
I'm going to blatantly steal the name from the Sanctuary books here, but I always liked the name "The Vulgar Unicorn" as the name of a bar/tavern.

Boo
2009-01-13, 04:13 PM
The Pub. >> Hey, it's easy to remember.

If not that, then how about the Rattlin Bog? Unless it's not Irish, then go for something like...

The Twisted Unicorn?

Canadian
2009-01-13, 05:19 PM
If you have wireless at the bar it could be called the

Space Bar

Or if it was a nasty roadhouse it could be called

FUBAR

RTGoodman
2009-01-13, 06:29 PM
I was thinking earlier today that it might be cool to go with a really simple name like, "[Something] on [whatever street it's on]." Like, "The Bar on 5th," or "Steve's on Elm" or something like that.

Canadian
2009-01-13, 09:29 PM
A German theme would be nice. You could call it Wunderbar.

Rutskarn
2009-01-13, 09:34 PM
Oh, come on, we haven't stopped the "bar" puns yet?

Wait. We haven't?

Sweet!

How about a Shakespearean establishment called the Bar'd?

Or a red-colored place known as the Red Bar-On?

Canadian
2009-01-13, 09:43 PM
You could do an industrial theme and call it:

RE-BAR

Doran_Liadon
2009-01-13, 11:43 PM
Theres a bar here called The Bank, and I like its name.

Collin152
2009-01-14, 12:08 AM
Taberna.
Just be sure to sing In Taberna Quando Sumus all the freaking time.
Latin Drinking Songs for the win.

Canadian
2009-01-14, 10:01 AM
The Winchester.

You know dogs can't look up...

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-01-14, 01:21 PM
The Cat and the Fiddle (Bar from my home town. Gone for 35+ years)
Mad Dogs (Great pub in Hong Kong! As in, "Only mad dogs and Englishmen go out into the mid-day sun.")
Bogart's (Bar in the Phillipines, back in my early Navy days. With the Navy gone, I'm sure they have long since closed)
Club Hubba Hubba (The single worst strip club I've ever been to. It's in Hawaii)

You don't need to have the most original name ever, just something that sets the tone and isn't in use in your town.

Now that I see your theme, how about:

Sunset Grille
Smuggler's
The Tavern
Dew Drop Inn

Or try this website: http://www.nightclubpros.com/nightclubnames.html

Thanatos 51-50
2009-01-14, 02:41 PM
Mad Dogs (Great pub in Hong Kong!

Firstly, understand that I don't drink.
Secondly, I must ask - is that right across the street from a friggin' huge Starbucks?
If its the same one I'm thinking of, I absolutely agree. I loved Hong Kong. :smallsmile:

Fin
2009-01-14, 05:39 PM
Woo! Progress, went to view a property today (the early favourite I mentioned earlier) and it looks like we are gonna go for it! I am going to the Mortgage Brokers tomorrow to discuss our options but its looking really hopeful.

The site is called 'The Lemon Tree' at the moment, a name I really like actually but we can't keep that name otherwise people might not realise we are a new place. Anyway thats just a progress report, hopefully more to come. Also, remember that 'The Lemon Tree' = a name I like. we could be on to something here people...

Canadian
2009-01-14, 05:55 PM
The Lemon Tree? What kind of restaurant is it now? Probably Italian?

It might be a nice sounding name but the name should fit a bar theme.

The lemon tree sounds like it serves tea and lemonade not beer and spirits.

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-01-14, 05:55 PM
Firstly, understand that I don't drink.
Secondly, I must ask - is that right across the street from a friggin' huge Starbucks?
If its the same one I'm thinking of, I absolutely agree. I loved Hong Kong. :smallsmile:

I don't know... Starbucks didn't exist back then... Or at least not in their "We rule the coffee world" form they currently exist in now!

Yeah, Hong Kong Rocks!

unstattedCommoner
2009-01-14, 06:01 PM
The Lemon Tree? What kind of restaurant is it now? Probably Italian?

It might be a nice sounding name but the name should fit a bar theme.

The lemon tree sounds like it serves tea and lemonade not beer and spirits.

The Grape Vine
The Barley Stalk

Berserk Monk
2009-01-14, 06:02 PM
The Sober Oxymoron maybe?

Canadian
2009-01-14, 07:33 PM
Grape Vine would be a great wine bar name.

How about...

The Wheat Sheaf

Rutskarn
2009-01-14, 08:13 PM
The White Elm.

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2009-01-14, 09:06 PM
I think I'm becoming dyslexic. I keep seeing this thread as "Good Names For A Bor." Well...Bor! DUH! :smalltongue:

We now return you to our regular thread, already in progress.

kriebly
2009-01-15, 02:43 AM
The Nine Horse Hitch

Talwar
2009-01-15, 08:43 PM
"Free Spirits"? Or does that give the wrong idea?

Mushroom Ninja
2009-01-15, 11:05 PM
The Winchester.

You know dogs can't look up...

I like.

Put a shotgun behind the counter in case of zombie invasion :smallbiggrin:

Shadow
2009-01-16, 05:12 AM
Ooh! Shadow runs a bar, you should ask him for advice!

I haven't read this entire thread, so I don't know where you're at in planning anything. I basically just read the first two posts and got to this quote - and stopped to quote it.
But I offer myself at your disposal.
I've been behind a bar for over a decade and have managed bars in the past.
I am now the General Manager and Head Bartender at my new place, opened a few months ago.
If you need any help or have any questions about ANYTHING feel free to ask. :smallbiggrin:

edit: And if is your first venture into the bar scene, I advise you take my offer and start asking questions.
Layout of the bar itself is a HUGE deal, both behind the bar and on the floor. Everything has it's place, and the wrong set-up could spell disaster.
If you've got someone who knows the industry, USE HIM! If not, I'm at your disposal.

Fin
2009-01-18, 08:38 AM
Thanks alot Shadow, I really appreciate the offer (cause I know how busy you are!!) and may well take you up on it :smallsmile:

As far as experience goes, this i smy first attempt at this ort of thing but my Dad is an established pro. He keeps calling this 'My foot in the door' cause he hopes that em and him can go on to do a number of things like this together.

Hope your inbox isn't full.... :smallamused:

Adlan
2009-01-19, 09:06 AM
If I ever opened a Bar, I'd probably end up calling it 'Durrants'

Because it would be, but you said no named after yourself bars.

The Hornblower Arms mayhap?

Maybe after a Naval Ship?
The Indefatigable, the Victory?

I like pubs whose names can be decifered from their signs, so: The Leopard, the Falcon, the Pheasent, The Red Bull, The Marsh harrier (that one has a great sign, a Marsh harrier, with RAF sign on it's wings), the Iron Duke has a Picture of Wellington, the Nelson has nelson on it. the Fat Cat is a very good pub in Norwich, but I wouldn't use that one.

The 10 Bells, the 3 Horse Shoes, thats also a good way of naming a pub.

Maybe the 5 Anchors?

the White Tree would be a pretty dam cool pub name.

InaVegt
2009-01-19, 10:13 AM
The Dice have decreed that this bar will be named the following:

Imp's Brew Alehouse

This thread has ended, for the Dice have spoken, and made their wishes known.

All hail the Dice, who bring the law upon us with their unpredictable ways.

All hail the Dice, at whom's mercy we are with everything we do.

All hail the Dice, for them to protect and guide us!

Canadian
2009-01-19, 11:26 AM
Andrew Dice Clay?

I don't think he's worth trusting that much...

No dice!

Rutskarn
2009-01-19, 11:54 AM
Andrew Dice Clay?

I don't think he's worth trusting that much...

No dice!

As long as it's not Henry Clay. Then again, that guy already did everything in the United States ever--I guess naming one pub wouldn't really strain him much.