View Full Version : Is the OOTS going to accomplish anything?

darkgolem
2009-01-11, 01:04 PM
Defend the gates - unfinished
Recover Azure City - unfinished
Raised Roy - unfinished
Earned enough money for Haley to save her dad - unfinished
Ended the conflict with Varsuuvius (sp?) - unfinished
Defeat Xykon - unfinished
Find out what the thing in the darkness is - Unfinished

The only thing the OOTS has ever accomplished has been finished with Roy's sword being reforged. Can we please have a few plot threads finished? It's getting a bit annoying, in my opinion.

Yes I gather Roy might even be resurrected soon, which is just wild, but even then, it just means the diversion (raise Roy) from the diversion (rejoin the party) from the diversion (go to the gate) from the diversion (defeat Xykon) will have ended, but even then the new diversions (Varsuuvius being a idiot) and (save Azure City) are cropping up. Can we at least get SOME sort of progress on the main story once in a while.:smallmad:

littlequietguy
2009-01-11, 01:08 PM
Um your forgetting something.

:elan::haley: kiss kiss kiss...

Ring a bell?

Arlion
2009-01-11, 01:23 PM
The story is progressing,the fact that they are not "Winning" doesnt mean that they arent doing anything.OOTS is a story that keeps growing,its not that they acomplish something,the pass to the next adventure,its a great big adventure that keeps advancing

Kaytara
2009-01-11, 01:52 PM
The story is progressing,the fact that they are not "Winning" doesnt mean that they arent doing anything.OOTS is a story that keeps growing,its not that they acomplish something,the pass to the next adventure,its a great big adventure that keeps advancing

Exactly. For one thing, even learning about the super-secret Gates is an important step. And don't forget their success in retrieving the starmetal, even if Roy was initially disillusioned by the result.

It's like Arlion said. The story keeps developing and growing organically. I'm glad that it's not just a checklist or a to-do list.

Besides, several of those things are linked together and can be effectively considered one and the same - defending the Gates goes hand in hand with defeating Xykon, as it's primarily him and Redcloak they need to be defended from.
The subplot of Haley's father hasn't really been a factor up till now. The Order (with the likely exception of Vaarsuvius as Haley's confidante) isn't even aware of it right now, so you can hardly fault them for failing to progress in it.

David Argall
2009-01-11, 02:52 PM
Um your forgetting something.

:elan::haley: kiss kiss kiss...

Ring a bell?

I believe some chimes were wrung.

However, on the more general point, we are only about halfway thru the story. At this point the hero has rarely accomplished much.

amuletts
2009-01-11, 03:05 PM
I don't think this is a story with a traditional beginning, middle and end. I might me wrong, but it seems to me its kinda ongoing. There are multiple plot-lies. The more there are, the slower progression tends to be. But when they finish one, there is still plenty more for them to go on with. It's a +/- thing. They did achieve something fairly major when V blasted that anti-Hinjo guy. That was a simultanious Yay/oh no moment.

I agree in principal though. A few more "Yes! They did it!" moments would be good.

Myou
2009-01-11, 03:05 PM
I'd laugh my ass off of the story ended with them all dying ignominiously at the hands of side-villains. xD

MadScientistMat
2009-01-11, 04:43 PM
Well, they did win their first battle against Xykon and even destroyed his body. That dealt him a major setback, as when the story started, :xykon: was solidly in control of a gate and pretty close to accomplishing his goal.

They've also wrapped up several side quests, including reforging Roy's sword to be much better than new, saving Roy's sister, uniting Azure City's resistance under one banner instead of three warring factions (which wasn't a very long arc, but that could be very important later - you never know).

Kish
2009-01-11, 04:51 PM
I'd laugh my ass off of the story ended with them all dying ignominiously at the hands of side-villains. xD
Fortunately for your posterior's continues residence on your body, that's not going to happen.

Myou
2009-01-11, 05:31 PM
Fortunately for your posterior's continues residence on your body, that's not going to happen.

Quite, quite. I never said it would. Just that it would be really funny. :3

Ridureyu
2009-01-11, 05:45 PM
It would be really funny if a different adventuring party who looks vaguely like the order jumps in and saves the day in the end.

MickJay
2009-01-11, 06:16 PM
Linear Guild saving the world in the end - that would be really hilarious. NPCs to the rescue!

Berserk Monk
2009-01-11, 06:36 PM
Haley got her voice back.
Elan joined a prestige class.
They defeated and dismantled the clan of forest bandits.
They prevented Xykon from using Dorokon's Gate.
They stopped the serial killings in Cliffport.
They removed an evil noble from the Azure City nobility.
And at the very least they have gone up a couple levels which in the end is the only thing that really matters.