PDA

View Full Version : I'll Play! NWN2: Storm of Zehir

AJWB
2009-01-11, 03:02 PM
So, I'm playing through Storm of Zehir, and it's a lot of fun, but the characters I made for my party are a little too boring for my tastes. I got to a little bit of thinking and said, "Why settle for relying on premade NPCs or making my own when I can get the best of both worlds?" The result is this:

Playgrounders, I need 4 characters to play through Storm of Zehir. You get to decide everything about them from race to feat selection. My only request is that you make them fun and playable (no wizard-sorceror-warlock-clerics).

Think you're up to the "challenge?" :smallwink:

This thread can also be used for fun builds for other NWN games as well if people so choose.

FatJose
2009-01-15, 06:39 PM
Sounds cool. So we make a character on here and you choose 4 to use?
Any new races in Zehir? I havent gotten that expansion yet

RandomLogic
2009-01-15, 07:14 PM
Sounds cool. So we make a character on here and you choose 4 to use?
Any new races in Zehir? I havent gotten that expansion yet

Yes, Yuan-ti and Grey Orcs.

Altima
2009-01-15, 09:40 PM
Do you want to play good or evil? How familiar are you with the mechanics? What difficulty are you playing on? Do you have any mods (such as Kaedrin's) installed?

My current game, I've got a swashbuckler4/rogue3 (with daring outlaw), cleric5/doomguide2, bard1/ftr4/RDD2, and a wizard5/frost mage 2 to round it all out.

All in all, it's a good party. However, the constant need to conserve spells and re-do abilities is getting annoying. I'm starting to think that a bard and warlock may be the preferred characters, as a bard is a master of buffing and a warlock can cast spellsincantations infinitely.

Are you going to mod your game to go through with six custom companions?

Mx.Silver
2009-01-16, 05:56 AM
Depends on what you're looking for. Do you want character builds that are mechanically effective first and foremost or ones that are more geared towards interesting backgrounds or unusual concepts? I'm not saying that you can't have elements of both, but given what NWN is like certain combinations that would be interesting or fun (e.g. things that play against typical race-class combinations) will not be as strong as taking more conventional choices.
Come to think of it, how much bachground do you want? Because, from what I remember, the conceit in SoZ that these four have been adventuring together a while. This is going to mean that characters are going to have to conceivably work together, which means at some level backstory are going to have to compliment each other.

Archonic Energy
2009-01-16, 06:34 AM
this reminds me i need a playthrough with a yuan-ti in my group....

i assume we aren't allowed to say things like:
Team 1
Human Fighter (male) with Great sword
human rogue (female) red-head with ice bow +5
Dwarven Cleric (male) with sheild & hammer
Elven Wizard (?) with a seldom seen staff

Team 2
Human ranger (male) longsword
Dwarven fighter (male) Battleaxe
Elven "archer" (male) Bow
Elven Wizard (male) Staff & Sword

:smallwink:

Altima
2009-01-16, 06:44 PM
Because, from what I remember, the conceit in SoZ that these four have been adventuring together a while. This is going to mean that characters are going to have to conceivably work together, which means at some level backstory are going to have to compliment each other.

It could be either way. You could either have been adventuring together a while or you could, quite literally, be the only people who washed up ashore.

I can't wait to go through the game with my evil party: drow, yuan-ti, tiefling, and grey orc.

Mando Knight
2009-01-16, 08:50 PM

Team 1

Team 2
Human ranger (male) longsword
Dwarven fighter (male) Battleaxe
Elven "archer" (male) Bow
Elven Wizard (male) Staff & Sword

I vote... for team 1.

Lizard Lord
2009-01-16, 09:27 PM
Does NWN2 have a gold pack (a box set with the original game and all of the current expansions) yet?

hobbes543
2009-01-16, 10:21 PM
The Gold pack has NWN2 and MOTB. It came out before Storms.

Altima
2009-01-16, 10:28 PM
Does NWN2 have a gold pack (a box set with the original game and all of the current expansions) yet?

The Platnium box is not out yet. Odds are it'll include Mysteries of Westgate...if Atari ever releases the flippin' thing. It sucks because Atari got MoW BEFORE Zehir came out, so now Ossian can't even add in a new OM.

Lizard Lord
2009-01-17, 09:34 AM
A female neutral evil yaun-ti ranger with humans as a favored enemy?

Paul H
2009-01-18, 02:33 PM
Hi

Warlocks are always useful. The ability to always have something to blast, abilities to use should never be underestimated.

Also, the Rogue Swashbuckler 2Wpn combi seemed to work in my campaigns. Two Shortswords adding Int mod & sneak attack was awesome.

Just going back to start new campaign now..........

Cheers
Paul H

AJWB
2009-01-19, 01:01 PM
Whoa, replies! :smallbiggrin:

Do you want to play good or evil? How familiar are you with the mechanics? What difficulty are you playing on? Do you have any mods (such as Kaedrin's) installed?
Are you going to mod your game to go through with six custom companions?

I'll play whatever alignment you decide you want to make. Go ahead and decide the difficulty, too :smalltongue: No mods yet, but if you hook me up with the six custom companions mod I'd totally give it a try.

Depends on what you're looking for. Do you want character builds that are mechanically effective first and foremost or ones that are more geared towards interesting backgrounds or unusual concepts? I'm not saying that you can't have elements of both, but given what NWN is like certain combinations that would be interesting or fun (e.g. things that play against typical race-class combinations) will not be as strong as taking more conventional choices.
Come to think of it, how much bachground do you want? Because, from what I remember, the conceit in SoZ that these four have been adventuring together a while. This is going to mean that characters are going to have to conceivably work together, which means at some level backstory are going to have to compliment each other.

I get what you're saying. If it comes down to a choice between unusual concept or destructive in battle, go for unusual. I've done a bit more playing with my generic party and SoZ doesn't seem particularly difficult. Besides, I like a good challenge.

Background? There doesn't really need to be much of one aside from being on the boat together when it crashes. Hell, I think the party posted below is proof that anyone can come together and be an adventuring group :smallwink:

Team 1

Haha, you should actually try that party in Baldur's Gate II. You have to alter a few things, like make Belkar a straight barbarian, but it's good fun.

RandomLogic
2009-01-19, 01:10 PM
For what its worth, character alignment has little effect on party coherency.

Since the companions have essentially no interaction compared to all previous NWN games. They just exist. Compared to previous versions where they would bicker among each other depending on the situation, in SoZ they just provide you with different dialog options. That is about it.

Its kind of disappointing because that made the other games awesome.

Altima
2009-01-20, 12:36 AM
For what its worth, character alignment has little effect on party coherency.

Since the companions have essentially no interaction compared to all previous NWN games. They just exist. Compared to previous versions where they would bicker among each other depending on the situation, in SoZ they just provide you with different dialog options. That is about it.

Its kind of disappointing because that made the other games awesome.

There are, erm, other alignment changes.

If you're evil, you can feed your companions to One of Many

Archonic Energy
2009-01-20, 07:33 AM

you can do that if you're good too... you just don't stay good

RandomLogic
2009-01-21, 05:01 PM

Yeah but there isn't any bickering and stuff. Made the characters far more interactive and interesting.

Because me playing 5 characters in the game is basically masturbating...

canjowolf
2011-01-15, 02:32 PM
Mithril Smith is a human transmuter. He was born the son of a wealthy blacksmith in a small town near a new dwarven mithril mine. When his father saw him lighting the forge fires with magic Mithril was apprenticed to a nearby artificer. Loving the act of creating, but bored with mindless automatons and speechless swords, Mithril turned to the arts of transmutation and began turning the local weasels into vicious rat-killing machines. He met the other adventurers when they came to the artificer to buy their first magical equipment and convinced them to let him join their party. Now he is on a voyage to see Sametar and it's exotic wildlife. He, like many boys his age, dreams of creating a rampaging monster to devour everyone in sight. Unlike most other boys his age he has the potential to do so....

Human; Transmuter; Lawful Evil; Faithless; Age:15 ish (says he's 21), plans to live forever

Str-10 Dex-14 Con-14 Int-18 (genius) Wis-8 (he isn't afraid that his pets will eat him) Cha-10

Familiar - a weasel named Weasely

Feats - Able Learner and Spellcasting Prodigy

Skills - All primary skills 4, survival 2 (he read books during the voyage). Should learn Heal as he levels up as it applies to his specialty.

Spells - enlarge and reduce person, burning hands, plus anything fun

Quotes

"I thought you looked really spiffy with four arms. Besides, you said you wanted extra attacks"

"C'mon... You like monkeys, you like ponies, maybe you don't like monsters so much. Isn't it enough that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?"

"Sick 'em Weasley!"

Warning: Transmuters are weak sauce!

SITB
2011-01-15, 03:15 PM
You can create a six men party of your own:

...you can just open the SoZ module in the toolset and change the party limit to whatever you want.

Go to Plugins, then Campaign Editor. Select "Neverwinter Nights Campaign_X2", then scroll through the box on the right until you find the PartyCreationSize field. Change that to whatever, then click "Save Campaign", just above it. Simple as that.

MeatShield#236
2011-01-15, 03:41 PM
Grey Orc Ranger with two bastard swords. Early game it's kinda weak, but once you get enough two-weapon fighting feats to get rid of some of the penalties it's an absolute monster. Plus, survival affects your speed on the world map, which is always useful.

Ozymandias
2011-01-15, 05:30 PM
The Platinum Box is out, actually. (http://store.steampowered.com/app/2760/?snr=1_7_7__150_1) No Westgate, however (although that wasn't made by Obsidian anyway). And honestly Steam is a lot better than DVD for this game because a) there are a ton of patches and b) the autopatcher is a pain to use.

I would very much recommend getting Kaedrin's PrC pack (http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NWN2HakpaksOriginal.Detail&id=209). It adds a lot of things to the game including (obviously) prestige classes, which are sort of hit or miss, and lots of new spells and feats, which is very nice. There's even some new armor (like one with 10 max dex bonus).

Consider also the Tome of Battle mod (http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=nwn2hakpaksoriginal.Detail&id=471) too. The GUI takes a bit to get used to and multiclassing gets shafted, inexplicably (no 1/2 non-ToB initiator level for some reason) but if you want to play a melee character it's certainly more interesting than Bard 1/Barb4/RDD10/FB X or whatever. If you're also using Kaedrin's, the compatibility files are on the ToB page.

If you're using Warlock, the Warlock Buddy mod (http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=nwn2hakpaksoriginal.Detail&id=471) is pretty nice. Although Kaedrin's includes Eldritch Glaive (capped at 2 attacks/round for balance reasons) and a full BaB invoking prestige class, so not so much over vanilla.

None of these mods actually affect core gameplay; all they do is give you more options, so don't be too apprehensive. Although it is a bit of a pain to get Kaedrin's and ToB simultaneously installed... Anyway, it's your LP so do as you like.

Drascin
2011-01-15, 05:34 PM
The Platinum Box is out, actually. (http://store.steampowered.com/app/2760/?snr=1_7_7__150_1) No Westgate, however (although that wasn't made by Obsidian anyway). And honestly Steam is a lot better than DVD for this game because a) there are a ton of patches and b) the autopatcher is a pain to use.

It wasn't when the posts mentioning it was made - this was necromanced from over a year ago, notice the dates.

In any case, thanks for the mods - I actually just got the box so I could get around to playing the expansions, and those packs sound interesting.