PDA

View Full Version : Graphics Card question

Neko Toast
2009-01-11, 03:40 PM
I'm thinking of buying Portal for my PC, since it's only $7.00. It seems like my computer meets all of the system requirements:

Recommended Specifications
Processor: Pentium 4 Processor (3.0 Ghz or better) - [I only have 2.0 Ghz, but the minimum requirement is 1.7]
RAM: 1 GB - [I have a 3 GB memory]
Video Card: DirectX 9 level graphics card - [???]
Other: DVD-ROM Drive/Mouse/Keyboard/Internet Connection - [I obviously have these]

The thing about the graphics card is that I never bought one for my laptop, and I don't know what typical laptops come with when you buy them. I have a Dell Inspiron that I first purchased back in August. I just want to know if this game will actually run on my computer before I buy it.

Coidzor
2009-01-11, 03:57 PM
When was the computer made, though?

Neko Toast
2009-01-11, 04:00 PM
I've got my system info up... Do you mean the BIOS Version/Date, which is Dell Inc. A08, 4/21/08?

RS14
2009-01-11, 04:27 PM
Why don't you just try the demo (http://store.steampowered.com/app/410/)?

Mad Wizard
2009-01-11, 10:28 PM
Alright, this is one way to check for XP, but I'm not sure about Vista. Go to Start, and click "run." In the text box that pops up, type "DxDiag". The window that pops up should contain your Directx version. If it's 9, you'll be fine.

Edit: since you bought it fairly recently, I doubt you'll have any difficulties.

Ishmael
2009-01-11, 10:29 PM
Well, I don't really know if Portal's only graphics requirement is a DirectX9 compatible card. It's a pretty intensive game, and all those physics and advanced graphics are pretty difficult to render. I know my Macbook, using my Windows partition to my hard drive, cannot run the game. I have an integrated Intel X3100 card, which is fairly standard for integrated video cards.

I don't know, though, about your laptop. Your other stats are more than enough to play the game. Do you have an integrated or discrete card? If it's discrete, then it'll certainly work. Given the other stats on your computer, you might have a higher-end card in the laptop. Umm...can you find that out?

Neko Toast
2009-01-11, 11:52 PM
Alright, this is one way to check for XP, but I'm not sure about Vista. Go to Start, and click "run." In the text box that pops up, type "DxDiag". The window that pops up should contain your Directx version. If it's 9, you'll be fine.

Edit: since you bought it fairly recently, I doubt you'll have any difficulties.

Just checked it. Turns out I have the 10th version. So it looks like I'll be okay. Maybe now I can cancel the demo that's taking forever to download.

Deathslayer7
2009-01-11, 11:58 PM
heh. this computer could never handle Portal. :smallbiggrin:

way too old. Graphics card sucks balls as does the RAM. Only have 256 MB of RAM :smallfrown:

Crispy Dave
2009-01-12, 04:00 PM
portal doesn't take alot. AT all. and mabey its only for XP but it will acually run on a DX 8.

Forthork
2009-01-12, 09:21 PM
Orange Box games (Half-Life 2: ep 2, Portal, and TF2) do not work on Intel integrated cards, which, most likely, your laptop has. Just because you have DirectX 10 installed, doesn't mean you have a DX10 card. Can you link to your specific laptop model?

Neko Toast
2009-01-12, 09:26 PM
Orange Box games (Half-Life 2: ep 2, Portal, and TF2) do not work on Intel integrated cards, which, most likely, your laptop has. Just because you have DirectX 10 installed, doesn't mean you have a DX10 card. Can you link to your specific laptop model?

I'm not sure if I have to, because I just tested the demo. It functions fine. There is lag and stuttering, but I've already found solutions for that. So, I think I'm good.