PDA

View Full Version : Homebrewed Base Classes and Flavor - Opinions/Discussion Wanted [3.5]

The Neoclassic
2009-01-11, 05:19 PM
Usually when I think of base classes, I think of fairly universal, flexible concepts. There are a few dozen different ways to look at and flesh out a sorcerer, for example. Prestige classes are usually a bit more narrow, or can get a much more specific focus. However... is this how it must/should be?

Specifically, a settlement on an Inner Plane I'm designing trades the rare gases and precious crystals from the plane with visiting merchants. A small, elite group of NPCs, essentially an investment of the community (the community funds their trips and most profits return to the commuity), is responsible for locating, mining/harvesting, and safely returning with these resources. So, should I give them a few suboptimal levels in a standard base class (since not one fits very well) and then make a PrC for them, or would it not be unreasonable to make a base class (provided of course it isn't overpowered)? I have some idea as to how I would flesh out and stat out said classes; the real issue is: Is a base class with a very specific niche acceptable?

Also, if someone could tell me what skill would be used to pilot a magical zepplin, that would be much appreciated. :smalltongue: I'm thinking Profession (navigator)?

Heliomance
2009-01-11, 05:36 PM
Profession (Navigator), Profession (Pilot), Profession (Airman) would all probably work.

Keld Denar
2009-01-11, 06:26 PM
Specifically, a settlement on an Inner Plane I'm designing trades the rare gases and precious crystals from the plane with visiting merchants.

Reading this gave me flashbacks to my ol' Starcraft days.

NEED MORE VESPINE GAS!

Anyway, I don't think you need to make up a whole class. NPC Experts could fill your role easily. Experts get to pick any one skill and make it a class skill. Your experts would have Profession (Airship Pilot) maxed out, I'd imagine, possibly with some ranks in Knowledge Geography and some Diplomacy/Intimidate. Unless one of your players wants to actually be one, it shouldn't be an issue. And if he/she does, Profession is a class skill for all PC classes, so they could easily sink a few skill points in it to reflect a time spent as an apprentice navigator or whatnot prior to becoming an adventurer.

The Neoclassic
2009-01-11, 06:46 PM
Anyway, I don't think you need to make up a whole class. NPC Experts could fill your role easily. Experts get to pick any one skill and make it a class skill. Your experts would have Profession (Airship Pilot) maxed out, I'd imagine, possibly with some ranks in Knowledge Geography and some Diplomacy/Intimidate. Unless one of your players wants to actually be one, it shouldn't be an issue. And if he/she does, Profession is a class skill for all PC classes, so they could easily sink a few skill points in it to reflect a time spent as an apprentice navigator or whatnot prior to becoming an adventurer.

This is a good point. The only reason I don't jump into Expert, though is that I imagine these guys as being tough enough to defeat low to mid CR elementals they may run into, and also having access to a couple of spells which help them avoid unpleasant planar or regional effects.

afroakuma
2009-01-11, 06:49 PM
Buff the expert class slightly.

Keld Denar
2009-01-11, 07:03 PM
Blend the Expert, Adept, and Warrior classes together into the ultimate NPC. Alternately, gestalt 2 of them together. Some guys are Expert//Adepts who cast, some guys are Expert//Warriors who beat stuff up. They are NPCs, not that hard to screw up. If you really want, make em PC classes. A Fighter2/Sorcerer1 would be a pretty simple low level captain. He could plink away from a distance with a Magic Missile, or maybe drop an Enlarge Person and smack it around a bit.

Maybe invent a new skill trick that requires N ranks in Profession(Airship Pilot), like DIVE DIVE DIVE, Evasive Maneuvers, and Red Alert!.

Rei_Jin
2009-01-11, 07:03 PM
Factotum sounds perfect for this.

With the Arcane Dilletante class ability, you get some spells. Combine that with the fact that ALL skills are class skills for them, and all of the other Factotum goodness, and you're done.

Spells to look out for are Resist Planar Alignment (Sor/Wiz 1), Avoid Planar Effects (Sor/Wiz 3), and Planar Tolerance (Sor/Wiz 5).

Prometheus
2009-01-11, 07:18 PM
The real question is what you want these guys to be able to do. If it goes into class abilities, you will need a base class or a PrC. Since in either case you would be building it for your own purposes, the real question is whether you think any of your players would be interested in this class. If you think they might, make it a PrC so that the PCs will get more by dipping into it.

Ideas for possible class abilities:
Gem Sense: Locate gems within a radius (expanding with level), identify and appraise gems instantly (within a fixed close radius)
Demolitions: Make up rules for bombs that these guys would use in a tunnel or against monsters. Something that deals fire damage, force damage, and requires a save or be knocked prone and away - but may require a full-round or more to set up.
Flare Gem: From showing off these magical gems, these guys learn to bring out the best in it. In their hands, the magical powers of these gems are enhanced. In addition you would expect they have the best
Extra magic item slots: Mostly for flavor, but you give them extra ring, amulet, and ioun stone slots than normal.
Mechanation Proficiency: I'm not sure whether or not these are the guys who pilot the zepelin or whether you want to have some sort of crawling drilling machine, but proficiency with these machines and the ability to do more with them would be a benefit.
Stonecunning: As a dwarf
Commune with Nature: As the spell, but mines only
Find the Path: As the spell, but only to gems.
Extra Wealth: These guys get money as they level (so for an NPC, that just means above WBL).
Gem working: Can craft or make these gems however they are sold, and the better the talent in that the better the gems can do (may not be compatible with Flare Gem).
Travel expertise: Horizon Walker (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/horizonWalker.htm), Royal Explorer (Song & Silence), and Explorer's Handbook (although I've never read it).