PDA

View Full Version : Slumdog Millionaire

Rogue 7
2009-01-11, 10:32 PM
So I'm currently watching the Golden Globes right now, and Slumdog Millionaire has won every single thing I've seen it nominated for. I saw it last night, and it was fantastic. For those who don't know, it's the story of an uneducated Indian boy from the slums of Mumbai. He gets himself onto the Indian version of "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire". It isn't expected that he's going to do well, but he gets on an incredible run and gets up to the ten million rupee mark (one question before the final one) through a series of questions the answers to which he picked up throughout his life, and this is used as a framing device for the story- it opens with him being arrested by the police on suspicion of cheating- he's tortured over it. His childhood story is really amazing. His dedication to finding the girl he met (Latika) is incredible. Really, it's a great movie that everyone should really see.

Man, at the end, when he was guessing on the final question, I was positive that the answer was C (D'artangen). I thought that it set the thing up perfectly and bittersweetly- he gets the girl but loses all the money. Imagine my shock when he got the damn thing right. Made for a nice change after being right about most of those plot twists. And how he managed to figure out that the host was playing him. That was awesome.

My only complaint was the way his brother thought at about the midpoint in the film, after he had just killed the orphanage dude. "Hey, I just shot a man who was going to take my brother's eyes out and was training this girl to be a prostitute, and she just happens to be the only thing my brother's thought about over the past few years. I know, I'm going to rape her and threaten to shoot my brother, then abandon him. Yeah, that's the right thig to do!

Keler
2009-01-11, 10:43 PM
I agree! Slumdog Millionaire was fantastic (probability one of the best ones I ever saw) and the the plot was just amazing. The one grip I have about it was the fact that Latika seemed one dimensional compared to the main character.

Mr._Blinky
2009-01-12, 01:47 AM
Awesome movie, definitely. I saw it a few weeks ago myself. I thought that the way that the show really just framed a story of the horrors of lower-class India was excellently done.

Plus, I'm a sucker for a happy romantic ending.:smallredface:

Closet_Skeleton
2009-01-12, 07:04 AM
Saw a preview of it last tuesday.

It was good but the story was a bit too typical once you strip out all the stuff thrown on top of it.

I read the book it's based on (by which I mean "steals the structure and throws out everything else") a year or so ago.

adanedhel9
2009-01-12, 10:03 PM
I saw this over the weekend. I went in having heard all these amazing reviews and came out somewhat dissapointed. It was too sweet for my tastes and didn't do anything that I hadn't seen before. It is a pretty good movie, but not nearly as great as the reviews indicated.

Aidan305
2009-01-15, 08:07 PM
Just finished reading Q&A, so I'm curious as to whether the film version of it is up to the same standards.

LukeSimm
2009-01-17, 09:42 AM
I too keep hearing good things about this movie, and it sounds like the sort of thing I'd be interested in. However, I'm pretty sure it's not being played at cinema's where I am, so I'm gonna have to wait for it to come out on DVD. Urgh.

--- Luke

Closet_Skeleton
2009-01-17, 01:06 PM
Just finished reading Q&A, so I'm curious as to whether the film version of it is up to the same standards.

The film is good, just don't look for similarities.