PDA

View Full Version : Bd & S&g

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-01-11, 10:48 PM
I'm what I suppose you could call a metalhead. I mainly listen to the power metal greats like Blind Guardian, Nightwish, DragonForce and such. But lately, I've been listening to something that is completely different. My brother, shocked that I'd never heard Bridge Over Troubled Water, made me listen to it. And now I can't get enough of Simon and Garfunkel! And then he had me listen to Hurricane. And now I can't get enough of Bob Dylan! He's gotten me to listen to The Grateful Dead and John Denver. And I'm liking it!

Is something wrong with me?!:smallbiggrin:

RTGoodman
2009-01-11, 10:54 PM
Nah, you're fine - you're just developing a more eclectic taste in music. I should know - currently, the CDs in my car CD visor thingy are:

-Two '90s compilations
-Flogging Molly - Drunken Lullabies
-Luke Kelly - The Performer
-Eisbrecher - Eisbrecher and Antikoerper
-Lordi - The Arockalypse
-Paul Simon - some greatest hits CD
-John Denver - another greatest hits album
-Alamaba - Greatest Hits, Vol. 1

...and several others I can't remember.

Jayngfet
2009-01-11, 11:06 PM
There's nothing wrong with liking several dramatically different styles of music. I for example switch randomly between alestorm and Michel Jackson.

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-01-11, 11:10 PM
I know it's normal. That's why I included the :smallbiggrin: at the end.

Myatar_Panwar
2009-01-11, 11:13 PM
Duuuude, Simon and Garfunkel rock hard. I love those guys.

Sneak
2009-01-11, 11:19 PM
I'm what I suppose you could call a metalhead. I mainly listen to the power metal greats like Blind Guardian, Nightwish, DragonForce and such. But lately, I've been listening to something that is completely different. My brother, shocked that I'd never heard Bridge Over Troubled Water, made me listen to it. And now I can't get enough of Simon and Garfunkel! And then he had me listen to Hurricane. And now I can't get enough of Bob Dylan! He's gotten me to listen to The Grateful Dead and John Denver. And I'm liking it!

I'd say there's something wrong with you if you DON'T like Bob Dylan, Simon & Garfunkel, and The Grateful Dead. :smalltongue:

Have you tried listening to Paul Simon alone? Graceland especially is a fantastic album.

RTGoodman
2009-01-11, 11:22 PM
I'd say there's something wrong with you if you DON'T like Bob Dylan, Simon & Garfunkel, and The Grateful Dead. :smalltongue:

Aww... I don't care for Dylan, and I don't really like the Dead either... :smallfrown:

Have you tried listening to Paul Simon alone? Graceland especially is a fantastic album.

I agree with that, though - I say it all the time, but I think, overall, Graceland is one of the best albums of all time. It's a shame I lost my copy on vacation a few years back and never replaced it...

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-01-11, 11:26 PM
I'm actually listening to Kenny Loggins quite a bit now.

Sneak
2009-01-11, 11:32 PM
Aww... I don't care for Dylan, and I don't really like the Dead either... :smallfrown:

As the kids say these days, "jk." :smalltongue:

Seriously, though. I didn't really like the Dead until recently, and I think Dylan is actually a better songwriter than a musician/singer. I don't like all of his stuff, but some of it I think is great. No biggie if you don't like him, though. Same goes for the Dead.

I agree with that, though - I say it all the time, but I think, overall, Graceland is one of the best albums of all time. It's a shame I lost my copy on vacation a few years back and never replaced it...

Yeah, Graceland is amazing.

According to my parents, I listened to it all the time as an infant, so I think it may be imprinted in my brain. Apparently I wouldn't go to sleep without listening to it.

Anyway, that just proves that some people are born with great music taste. :smallwink:

Talya
2009-01-11, 11:48 PM

Welcome to a new world. Don't stop there. Most metal musicians have an appreciation for some of that music, too.* Much of it even ends up going back to classical stuff. It's all interconnected. There are things to appreciate stylisticly from every genre. Though there will always be things some of us just don't like, any attempt to broaden your horizons is good.

And Simon & Garfunkel were awesome.

* - Paul Stanley of KISS playing the Phantom in Andrew Lloyd Weber's Phantom of the Opera in Toronto was one of the more surreal examples that I have seen of this phenomenon.

JabberwockySupafly
2009-01-12, 07:22 AM
Absolutely nothing wrong with Simon & Garfunkel, The Dead, or Dylan. Musical eceticism is a sign of good musical tastes. Heck my current playlist for the car right now is:

Beck - Odelay!
Arcona - Ot Serdca K Nebu
The Travelling Wilburys - The Complete Travelling Wilburys
Beastie Boys - The Sounds of Science
In This Moment - The Dream
Aesop Rock - None Shall Pass & Labor Days
Simon & Garfunkel - Greatest Hits
Mastodon - Remission
Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger
They Might Be Giants - Flood

And that's just what I tend to listen to on short trips. Welcome to the fold.