PDA

View Full Version : [Creature] THE TABLE IS AFTER ME!

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-10-19, 10:14 AM
Cobblecap

http://www.fiery-foods.com/dave2/images/borneo/borneo_mushrooms.jpg

Dimunitive Plant (extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 1d8+4 (8 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 5 ft. (1 squares), climb 5 ft.
Armor Class: 21 (+7 natural, +4 size), touch 14, flat-footed 21
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-
Attack: -
Full Attack: -
Space/Reach: 2 1/2 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: Entropic touch
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 5/-, infest, resistance to acid 10, plant traits, tremorsense 40 ft.
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +0, Will +2
Abilities: Str 1, Dex 10, Con 19, Int 1, Wis 14, Cha 11
Skills: Climb +10, Hide +18, Move Silently +6
Feats: Diehard(B), Endurance
Environment: Concordant Domain of the Outlands or any Urban
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 1 (plus CR of any currently animated object)
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 2-4 HD (Tiny), 5-9 HD (Small), 10-17 HD (Medium)
Level Adjustment: -

In its natural state a cobblecap appears as a large clump of shelf fungus groping slowly forward upon a mound of decomposed material. This is often a mulchy mix of wood and mud speckled with rust and glass dust. However, a cobblecap swarm is most often found attached to some object, speckling it as if it were a rotten log. They change color and texture to match the material, so that for example upon wood they appear wooden or on glass they become translucent and smooth. These objects are animated by its infestation, which it then uses as vehicle and bodyguard. This often gives the impression that an infested area is haunted as tables gallop about the room or wagons take off down the street on their own.

Cobblecaps evolved long ago within the city of Sigil and the surrounding portal towns where urbanization has so long existed that few but the deities themselves can remember when it was elsewise. It came to be able to live upon near any surface and eventually to bring life to the lifeless. However, because of the nature of the cities it has long since escaped to nearly every other plane in existence where it confounds and plagues its inhabitants.

Combat
If a cobblecap is threatened it is quick to flee upon one of its animated objects. If cornered however, it turns upon its persuer viciously.

Entropic Touch (Ex): If it so wishes a cobblecap may undermine the structural integrity of whatever object it currently inhabits to take damage or change form as if using either the Rusting Grasp, Shatter, Transmute Rock to Mud, or *Wood Rot spell, depending on the material it occupies. Upon completely destroying the object, the cobblecap immediately removes itself from the remains.
*This spell is found in the Spell Compendium.

Infest (Su): Once per round a cobblecap can move into the space of an inanimate object that takes up at least as much space as the creature, though no larger than three sizes above its own. This object animates as though by the spell Animate Objects.

A cobblecap in control of an object is treated as an attended magic item for the purpose of making saving throws, even if the cobblecap is specifically targeted. A cobblecap that is attached to the object is treated as a creature in a grapple for the purpose of striking at the cobblecap instead of the object (but the animated object is not considered grappled in turn). A cobblecap spreads itself all across this object, becoming invulnerable to weapon damage, though can be harmed by area affects as if it were a swarm.

While infesting, a cobblecap incorporates the material of the object within itself, taking on the hardness of whatever material the animated object is composed of. If the object is composed of various materials use the hardness of the predominant material.

Skills: A cobblecap has a +6 racial bonus on Climb, Hide, and Move Silently checks. They use their Dexterity modifier instead of their Strength modifier for Climb checks.

ziratha
2006-10-19, 04:23 PM
My only question is why would somebody in one of your campaigns do something so obviously suicidal as sitting at a TABLE???? Your games are the only ones where attacking the darkness is a sane idea! I can see it now:

VT: You enter a room, there is a table...

Wizard: A table? O gods! MAGIC MISSILE!!!

VT: What?

Fighter: We are all gonna die!!!!!!!

VT:... Ok, there is a crater where the table used to be...

Wizard: A crater? Why do you hate us??? MAGIC MISSILE!!!!

FIGHTER: I perform honorable sepeku! Gah! *dies*

VT:...Ok, you killed the table, and the crater... The fighter is dead. Everything is calm There are some happy birds singing in the background....

Wizard: Birds? Oh good lord! Why?....

;) ;)

Winged One
2006-10-19, 05:48 PM
His typical reply is that he doesn't use hardly any of the stuff he designs.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-10-19, 06:12 PM
His typical reply is that he doesn't use hardly any of the stuff he designs.
I've used a number, but can only run so many games with so many encounters.

Fax Celestis
2006-10-19, 06:21 PM
Let me tell you, the games he does run? Dangerous. I've almost died three times now, and we're right off the starting line.

bosssmiley
2006-10-20, 08:03 AM
Evil all-devouring object-animating death-defying ("Mmmmmm, Diehard feat.") extra-planar ninja magic mushrooms of gribbling doom?
It can only be the latest outpouring of VT's mad genius. 8)

One query. Con 19, DR 5/- and natural armour +7 (isn't that on a par with crocodile skin?). When did these little fungi get so tough? :o

"I am hitting the shiitake with my greatsword, but it will not stop trying to eat my leg!"

Like the racial bonus to climb, hide and move silently checks though. I am desirious of advancing one with rogue character levels now. Imagine these little gits with improved evasion! ;D

InaVegt
2006-10-20, 08:07 AM
Evil all-devouring object-animating death-defying ("Mmmmmm, Diehard feat.") extra-planar ninja magic mushrooms of gribbling doom?
It can only be the latest outpouring of VT's mad genius. 8)

One query. Con 19, DR 5/- and natural armour +7 (isn't that on a par with crocodile skin?). When did these little fungi get so tough? :o

"I am hitting the shiitake with my greatsword, but it will not stop trying to eat my leg!"

Like the racial bonus to climb, hide and move silently checks though. I am desirious of advancing one with rogue character levels now. Imagine these little gits with improved evasion! ;D
Don't forget to take a couple of hexblade levels for mettle.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-10-20, 09:49 AM
When did these little fungi get so tough? :o
Well, first off, I've messed about with normal shelf fungus and even axes would often bounce off them because they do exactly what this one does, absorb woody fibers within. This thing has absorbed wood, stone and metals into its structure.

It has an Int of 1.

*shoots your dreams down and jumps on'em*

::)

vanyell
2006-10-27, 02:34 PM
awaken it, then take levels

Pegasos989
2006-10-29, 09:04 AM
My only question is why would somebody in one of your campaigns do something so obviously suicidal as sitting at a TABLE???? Your games are the only ones where attacking the darkness is a sane idea! I can see it now:

VT: You enter a room, there is a table...

Wizard: A table? O gods! MAGIC MISSILE!!!

VT: What?

Fighter: We are all gonna die!!!!!!!

VT:... Ok, there is a crater where the table used to be...

Wizard: A crater? Why do you hate us??? MAGIC MISSILE!!!!

FIGHTER: I perform honorable sepeku! Gah! *dies*

VT:...Ok, you killed the table, and the crater... The fighter is dead. Everything is calm There are some happy birds singing in the background....

Wizard: Birds? Oh good lord! Why?....

;) ;)

That is nothing. A few days ago when VT DMed us, I was nearly stomped by a frozen hill.

Yes.

Talanic
2006-10-29, 11:31 AM
MAJOR PROBLEM! Okay, not so major...fungi aren't plants. Alas, it's 3.5's problem, not yours.

Evil_Pacifist
2006-10-29, 05:38 PM
Gack. That thing is really cool.

Fualkner Asiniti
2006-10-29, 06:39 PM
Nice monster VT, definetly adding this to my arsenal of cheap DM tricks.

*Insert really nice baritone evil laugh here.*