PDA

View Full Version : Assignment finished, 5:38am

evisiron
2009-01-12, 06:41 AM
...And I throw my arms up in the air and do a tiny shout of glee, quiet as can be as to not wake anyone up. :smallbiggrin:

This is a new record for me thanks to normal procrastination combined with several technical issues. But, as always, I work my best when I am at the finishing line. Whew. And its not even a rush job, just a lots-of-info-to-slog-through job.

Anyone faced a similar photo finish recently?

Cleverdan22
2009-01-12, 08:54 AM
Right now, actually. Just did a quarterly assignment in a weekend. Woo.

Mauve Shirt
2009-01-12, 08:57 AM
Ha! Last semester I was finishing all my German assignments 15 minutes before class. Instead of starting the evening before, I woke up at 6:30 to begin typing it and translating it.

Player_Zero
2009-01-12, 10:02 AM
I usually don't finish my assignments because I'm pretty awful like that.

For instance my Logic assignments were in for Friday, see. I did them on Sunday and then read the email I had that told me they were in for Friday.

...Good job those assignments were easy or I would've gone on a killing spree. I'm talking serious points right here, multi-kills all over the place.

Heh...

A or B
Not B
Therefore A

NUUUUURRRRRR.

Heh. Logic. It's for goons. Yeah, I'm talking to you, ya' filthy philosophers! Get a real degree!

Serpentine
2009-01-12, 11:06 AM
Been there, done that, fell asleep in the doctor's office later that day...
Anyway, well done! :smallbiggrin:

Thufir
2009-01-12, 11:44 AM
I once stayed up all night doing my A-level physics coursework, then the following day had a county championship chess game in the evening. I won as it approached 10pm, despite the fact I was completely knackered.

Coidzor
2009-01-12, 11:53 AM
I once stayed up all night doing my A-level physics coursework, then the following day had a county championship chess game in the evening. I won as it approached 10pm, despite the fact I was completely knackered.

Ahhh... your unconscious mind was tapped into from the sheer sleep deprivation so that your thinking self couldn't get in the way and muck up it's grand strategy.

Hzurr
2009-01-12, 02:58 PM
So I just finished University last spring, and by my senior year, I had discovered the secret to pulling last minute all-nighters: Pink Floyd and Volt.

The Volt is simply to keep me awake and jittery (any energy drink will do, I guess, but this one tasted the best IMHO).

The Pink Floyd is the key part. Get yourself a good set of headphones, put in the Dark Side of the Moon album, and get to working.

I'm completely serious.

Things will get a little bit trippy, but my average grade on all-night papers or projects went up significantly after I started doing this. SIGNIFICANTLY.

And honestly, it doesn't matter what it's for. I've done programming projects like this (both "education ones" and for my video game class), as well as deep philosophical/liberal arts-y papers using this method (Oh Thucydides, how I miss you)

It works.

RS14
2009-01-12, 03:39 PM
Here's a screenshot showing a computer science assignment I submitted last semester. It was due 23:59 on Oct. 1st. Yeah.
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee241/RS14_photo/Screenshot-1.png
The top file is a duplicate. I submitted my code at 23:57, found a bug, fixed it, and submitted it again at 23:59:44. Amazingly, it not only passes syntax checking, but it runs perfectly! I only lost marks for failing to comment adequately.

No, I do not endorse such study habits.

Crispy Dave
2009-01-12, 03:55 PM
I spent last Thursday and Friday doing half of a classes work. Yes I did half of a full class in two days O ya and I got an A.

WalkingTarget
2009-01-12, 04:01 PM
I had several cases much like RS14's screenshot there back in the day. Gotta love computerized assignment turn-in.

My favorite (in hindsight only) example was the time when the evening before the midterm I found out that my Psych professor hadn't gone over about 2/3 of what he should have (the sections where a TA ran the lecture covered what the syllabus said, silly me for assuming that the professor would do likewise). After discovering this lapse, I wound up reading half of the textbook in 24 hours and got almost no sleep. Got an A on the exam too. :smallbiggrin:

mangosta71
2009-01-12, 04:09 PM
My sophomore year, I took a seminar on the causes of the differential wealth among nations as a whole, and I chose to write my end-term paper on the link between technology and military power, with the effect that that has on how countries are placed. Was supposed to be a 15-page research paper. I churned out 14 pages in about 3 hours without using references and turned it in right at the deadline. Got a B+ on it. :smalltongue: