PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew feat critique

enderrocksonall
2006-10-17, 03:04 AM
Thought this feat up and am trying to balance it out tell me what you think.

Observant Fighter
By making observations about your opponent's fighting style, you can anticipate their actions, giving you a distinct advantage in battle.

Prerequisites:15 ranks Spot, BAB +12, Alertness, Dodge, Expertise, Power Attack

BenefitOnce per day, you may make a spot check against a Humanoid opponent DC 15+HD. If you succed you gain +4 dodge bonus against that opponent. If you beat the DC by 5 or more you also gain a +4 to all attack rolls made against that opponent. If you beat the DC by 10 or more you also gain a +4 to damage against that opponent.

Special:A fighter may select this feat as one of his bonus feats. This feat may be bought multiple times, its effects do not stack. Each additional purchase of this feat allows you to use this feat one additional time per day.

Tormsskull
2006-10-17, 07:55 AM
This belongs in the Homebrew Forum.

I don't often play high level games, but this feat seems incredibly underpowered and doesn't gel with how standard feats work. As far as I know feats are things that you can do or are better at, as in they are permanent. Is there any current printed feat that gives a once per day ability that isn't building upon abilities that a character already has (like extra turning)

Thomas
2006-10-17, 08:15 AM
Yeah, wrong forum.

That said, the DC is ridiculously high. A straight Fighter needs to be level 27 to be able to take this. You don't give a duration to the effects. You don't specify the situation and other limitations for activating this feat (presumably you have to be in combat, have to see t he opponent doing something, etc.).

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-10-17, 09:39 AM
Comrade Gorby: To Homebrew with ye!

Fax Celestis
2006-10-17, 01:31 PM
Prereqs should probably be: Wis 15+, BAB +6, Alertness, Dodge, Power Attack

BAB req you've got is too high, and Combat Expertise shouldn't be a requirement for this; Dodge is fine. Alertness makes sense and prvides incentive to actually take the feat. Change the ranks in spot to an ability requirement (Wisdom is Perception, so it fits here).

Captain van der Decken
2006-10-17, 04:11 PM
Yes, lower the DC. Maybe make it once per opponent rather than day aswell.

enderrocksonall
2006-10-18, 03:07 AM
So from your input the feat should look something like this:

Observant Fighter
By making observations about your opponent's fighting style, you can anticipate their actions, giving you a distinct advantage in battle.

Prerequisites:Wis 15+, BAB +6, Alertness, Dodge, Power Attack

Benefit:When in combat you may make a spot check against a Humanoid opponent DC 10+HD. If you succed you gain +4 dodge bonus against that opponent. If you beat the DC by 5 or more you also gain a +4 insight bonus to all attack rolls made against that opponent. If you beat the DC by 10 or more you also gain a +4 to damage against that opponent. This bonus(es) last until the end of the combat or until the opponent dies. Further, should the opponent face you in battle again, you retain these bonuses unless your opponent can make a succesful bluff check opposed by your spot. This feat may be used a number of times per day equal to one plus your wisdom modifier.

Special:A fighter may select this feat as one of his bonus feats. This feat may be bought multiple times, its effects do not stack. Each additional purchase of this feat allows you to use this feat one additional time per day.

Let me know if this sounds better. Especially the new part about if you face the same opponent again.

enderrocksonall
2006-10-20, 02:37 AM
come on people comment!!!!!

And BTW BUMP!!!

Captain van der Decken
2006-10-20, 02:59 AM
I still think 1/opponent.

enderrocksonall
2006-10-20, 05:52 AM
I still think 1/opponent.

I'm not sure...I mean just cause you didn't notice Drognar the half-orc's fighting style the first time doesn't mean you won't notice it when he ambushes you the next day. Does that change your mind captain?

enderrocksonall
2006-10-28, 04:07 PM
BUMP!!!!

And hooray for the new forums!

Captain van der Decken
2006-10-28, 04:13 PM
I mean, not a -/day limit. Just because you notice Drognar the half-orc's fighting style doesn't mean you can't notice his friend Borsch's fighting style.

Edit: :D Borsch. I like that. Must use sometime.