PDA

View Full Version : Help me start it off right!

Another_Poet
2009-01-12, 01:54 PM
Okay guys, I am looking for a way to start off my new campaign on the right foot. We've had two sessions so far and the PCs are about to begin the real meat of the adventure. Last session they had a bit of a let-down and I want to make sure they all get to shine at the next one.

Some background:
PCs are first level Cleric, Druid, Wizard, Bard (all human), built using Pathfinder rules.

Our first session was character creation and a little bit of RPing as they arrived at a huge city, Five Fingers, for the first time. They are small-town northerners in a southern city so there is some mutual suspicion between them and the locals. Anyway, they find a place to stay, do some job-hunting and decide which adventure hook to bite. Cool.

Second session they go out on their first job. They want to collect a reward by beating up or scaring off a local gang leader who's been abusing his power. They track him down, and the Druid poses as a prostitute to lure him into an alley. They decided to do this despite several NPCs stating that he'd wipe the floor with them, and despite my OOC warning that the city would contain some level-inapprorpriate encounters that could kill them if they didn't do their homework.

Of course, the gang leader is like 7th level and manages to hold off all four PCs. He has improved grapple and gets a hold of the druid, saying they can leave their money and run or else he takes the woman. Grudgingly they throw him their purse of party coin and he lets them stagger out of the alley, alive but quite shocked by their loss.

So, their innkeeper decided to patch them up with some alchemical healing free of charge (she's a really nice person, and they're starting to learn they can trust her despite that fact that she's "from the city"). They lick their wounds and the session ends with them planning on forgetting the gang leader and pursuing a different adventure that involves clearing out the local sewers.

The sewers adventure starts this weekend, and I want the first session to offer a real confidence-boost of some kind. I want them to know that just because they picked a tough encounter and lost last time, doesn't mean I'm out to get them. And of course they know that OOC, but it still hurts to lose your first major fight of a campaign. They're learning to play smart and I want to reward them for that.

Anyway, I'm wondering what suggestions fellow Playgrounders have to making sure they all leave Session 3 feeling good. Obviously, a combat victory and some good loot are the standard solution. But I want something a little more unique, maybe a little more tailored to the group. Something that's like, "Dude, we rock!" I'm thinking an encounter that seems really tough but is actually quite winnable might do the trick. Ideas?

Also, no "Well, it's a sewer, use were-rats and oozes!" Encounter suggestions are welcome, just think outside the box.

Weirdlet
2009-01-12, 02:15 PM
Offhand, maybe they could find another avenue through which to harry the gang whose leader stomped on them? Some of their lower-level members, or finding a tunnel through which they conduct some of their illicit business?

BRC
2009-01-12, 02:26 PM
I find the best way to make the players feel awesome, is to bring them into somthing unexpected.

The problem is that a corrupt group of police officers (Or whatever they are called) are meeting in the sewers with some smugglers or other criminals. the PC's beat them up, take their shinies, and feel good about stopping this crime.

Now here's the important thing, they don't GO into the sewers to take down corrupt cops and their smuggler buddies, they go into the sewers to kill dire rats or somthing, while in the process of that, they learn about this meeting going on.

Edwin
2009-01-12, 02:34 PM
Three words, friend; Deux ex Machina.

Just take it to the next level. Have them search the sewers, fighting low-level stuff. Heck, throw rats at them.

Then, when they reach some sort of big drainage room or such, have them fight a MBEG, plus some additional mooks.

Where does the Deux ex Machina come in, you ask?
Well, this is where you pull out the good, old-fashioned hollywood visual effects. Say, have the drainage room collapse slowly around them. Have it slowly fill with water, forcing them to seek refuge on higher ground.
And while all this is happening, have them easily slay the mooks, while still having the MBEG survive, perhabs even dueling one of them. (For this purpose, make him/her a defensive-oriented dude, so he won't own the PC, but won't get his butt kicked either.)

Now, if the PC's can bring down the ever so slightly overpowered MBEG, cool, give them loot and a friendly nod. This way, you won't even have to pull out the actual Deux ex Machina.
If they can't? At the climax of the battle, drop half the sewer-roof on the MBEG's head, and let the PC's barely avoid it.

Hope it helps, if not, then I'll crawl back to my corner of darkness. Cheers. :smallsmile:

Edit: As an aside, I'd say incorporating BRC's idea into this would only add awesome-sauce. Have them kill rats in the beginning, and let the final encounter be the corrupt cops or smugglers or whatever. Boasted confidence ensues.

Dublock
2009-01-12, 02:47 PM
this might not go over well now. But later during the campaign, give the PCs another shot at the gang leader, maby not as a BBEG but just so they can go "HA! We beat him!" They will like that chance.

Also a little bit underhanded, but they don't need to know is have them a big battle and then boast that they killed a higher level then it actually is.

only1doug
2009-01-12, 03:09 PM
Offhand, maybe they could find another avenue through which to harry the gang whose leader stomped on them? Some of their lower-level members, or finding a tunnel through which they conduct some of their illicit business?

sounds like a bad idea to me, the PC are planning to ignore the gang leader until they are tough enough to deal with him. They shouldn't be irritating him and making him regret letting them live.

What where they instructed to clear from the sewers?

Sewer Encounters:

Rats should be frequently encountered, they will flee whenever a PC moves to within 15' instead of engaging unless backed into a corner. Rats nests will be in nooks and dead-ends and that's where they are most likely to be cornered. rats (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/rat.htm) (MM Pg 278) are a CR1/8 creature. The smart adventurers may find themselves picking rats off before they can flee as the rats may decide to attack as a swarm (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/swarm.htm#ratSwarm) (MM Pg 239) if more than 6 are running away from the PCs.

Gas pockets: in certain areas of the sewer the ventilation is blocked, this causes pockets of methane to build up (maybe 20' of corridor). if the adventurers are using torches or lanterns the flame will turn blue on the outskirts (first 5') this is your chance to turn back or extinguish the flame. pressing on (second 5') with naked flames will result in a burn off of the accrued gas (not an explosion as the gas isn't contained). 1d6 fire damage, no eyebrows.

Choker: (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/choker.htm) (MM pg 34) This creature was brought to the city to act as a defense on someones secret (sewer) exit (people like to lock their backdoors).

Disease: The sewer is a filthy place, any open cut or burn will have a risk of becoming infected with filth fever. (DMG pg 292)

LBEG: Little Bad Evil Guy: the PC's have been sent to do something in the sewers, who is it and what is its motivation?

Ghoul: This creature is sheltering in the sewers and striking out at night to feed. If a ghoul's (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/ghoul.htm) (MM Pg 118) victim dies of the disease it carries the victim will rise as a ghoul itself. you could easily add a 2nd ghoul if you think the party is strong enough but be cautious as ghouls could easily TPK against a weak party.

Squid: washed into the sewer when tiny this medium aquatic lifeform has somehow adapted to living in sewer water. the Squid (MM 281) has been feeding on rats and has grown to the limits of its environment. The squids bulk is blocking a sewer channel and causing drainage problems in the sewer. Rats aren't enough for the squid anymore and its hungry for bigger prey.

Another_Poet
2009-01-12, 03:15 PM
Thanks for all the ideas so far guys, and keep 'em coming.

What where they instructed to clear from the sewers?

They have been hired onto the Sewer Guard, which was abolished 70 years ago when the sewers were closed off (too expensive to finish, plus too much crime going on down there). Lately the city population has been clamouring about health and stench problems, so the governor is trying to get the sewers working as much as possible before organised crime finds out they're opening up again.

The PCs are supposed to go through the sewers with some skilled workers to clean out blockages and repair damaged areas, and prep for engineering crews to resume tunneling. Of course who knows what is living down there after being abandoned for 70 years...

Hope that helps fuel even more ideas!

Tacoma
2009-01-12, 03:25 PM
Have the PCs see a young man who looks a lot like the gang leader who tromped them. The innkeeper will see them looking at him, and warn them not to mess with him - he's the gang leader's son. A few minutes of observation show that the boy has a few thugs hanging out with him who he's trying to impress with his baravado. He's obviously not very tough at all.
So you give the PCs the chance to hit the gang leader where it hurts - his family. Maybe they don't take the chance, maybe they do.

One of the town guard sergeants comes by and talks with the PCs. The innkeeper mentioned to him in casual conversation that they had been roughed up by this gang. The sergeant wants to give them an opportunity to get back at the gang. He can't do anything because his department has been told to leave the gangsters alone, and this doesn't sit well with him. He says that maybe there will be a small group of like-minded plainclothes city guards hanging around across the street from the gang leader's hideout tomorrow night. And maybe they'll notice something suspicious going on inside and need to make an entrance. And maybe they'll find proof of a lot of illegal activity. And maybe they'd need backup. See where I'm going? Here's the address.

This is a good lesson for them, though. Always carry a dummy pouch full of coppers and chunks of glass.

Edwin
2009-01-12, 03:35 PM
Thanks for all the ideas so far guys, and keep 'em coming.

They have been hired onto the Sewer Guard, which was abolished 70 years ago when the sewers were closed off (too expensive to finish, plus too much crime going on down there). Lately the city population has been clamouring about health and stench problems, so the governor is trying to get the sewers working as much as possible before organised crime finds out they're opening up again.

The PCs are supposed to go through the sewers with some skilled workers to clean out blockages and repair damaged areas, and prep for engineering crews to resume tunneling. Of course who knows what is living down there after being abandoned for 70 years...

Hope that helps fuel even more ideas!

If you wanna go with some sort of mutation thingy happening in the sewers over that seventy year span, which is what I got from it, I think I've got a sluggish-like Abberation monster lying around here somewhere? It's CR 3, but 20hp and with nothing but Acid Splash 2/Day and an average damage of 7 on a full attack, a bunch of 1st levels should be able to handle it. If they know how to play decently, and if you fumble a bit.

Which would be prudent, given that you wanna boost their confidence.

Another_Poet
2009-01-12, 03:42 PM
Hey, feel free to post it, I won't say no!

Edwin
2009-01-12, 03:47 PM
Well, okay:

Sorcerous Slime, lesser
Chaotic Evil Small Abberation
Hit Dice: 20 hp (3d8+6)
Initiative: 1+
Speed: 30 ft.
Armor Class: 14 (+2 Natural armor, +1 dex, +1 Small size) 11 touch, 14 flat-footed
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+0
Attack: Tentacle +5 (1d3+2)
Full Attack: 2 Tentacle +5 (1d3+2)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +1, Will +3
Abilities: Str 15, Dex 13, Con 14, Int 21, Wis 10, Cha 12
Skills: Listen +6, Spot +6, Concentration +3, Knowledge: Arcana +3, Knowledge: The Planes +3, Spellcraft +3, Survival +3, Hide +4(Small size)
Feats: Combat Casting
Equipment: None

Improved Grapple: This creature gains Improved Grapple as a bonus feat.
Spell-like Abilities: 2/day; Acid Splash 1/day; Comprehend Languages

Sorcerous Slimes speak common, and can communicate with other Sorcecous Slimes telepathically in a range of 30ft.

Sorcerous Slimes are vaguely humanoid, black creatures, made primarily of slime, with no arms. Instead, they have two tentacles sprouting from their backs. They don't have a head, or any vital organs, except for a brain, which is located in the stomach. They are roughly the size of an average human. They are also highly intelligent creatures, who usually employ other, dumber creatures to do their work.

Combat: Sorcerous slimes prefer to stay in the back, commanding other creature to do the melee fighting, while they use their Acid Splash to weaken their foes, and then swoop in to flank an enemy, and then finish them off with a full attack.

CR: 3

Now, keep in mind I made this monster for a campaign set in a wizards tower, and, originally, they were his creations, but you can refluff them if you think it is necessary.

Also, be careful to pit your PC's against more than one of these, 'cause in some circumstances (Say, if they get surprise), they can be deadly. Especially versus 1st level peeps.

Another_Poet
2009-01-12, 04:24 PM
Cool! I will definitely plan to use that in some session, whether or not it is this time.

OK guys, some great ideas so far. I think I want to focus on something other than this gang leader for the time being, as they opted to give up on him for now and I don't want to railroad them. So, any more ideas for fun/crazy encounters in the sewers? The collapsing ceiling they can use to beat higher-CR creatures is a great idea, as are the rats that are harmless at first and turn into a swarm if let be. Other ideas?

Here some I have, if they help you brainstorm:

*They find a rusted, disabled hand-crank-powered sewer cart (these are real devices, used in early modern sewers). With some craft skills they can get a working vehicle to speed up their travel through the sewers.

*A lost kid who went looking for his pet turtle, whom they can rescue and take home (this would make even a small victory seem more heroic, I think)

*They come across an addle-brained salvager who finds junk in the sewers and turns it into usable goods. He sells his wares for strange prices, like a masterwork sword for 4 gp or a spool of thread for 100 gp. Might add some comic value and everyone loves to get a good deal on new gear. If they treat him right he could be a recurring character.

Anyway those are just a few of mine. I have like 5 days before the session so keep on throwing ideas out there! And thank you all, by the way.

Tacoma
2009-01-12, 04:29 PM
The salvager is great - how about a small group of them? They've been having problems with this band of were-rats and they're willing to pay the PCs in the form of this really nice signet ring one of them found. Someone must be looking for it, after all, it's gold and has this cool symbol on it. They refuse to describe the symbol.

The salvagers have a small ballista rigged together that the PCs can use to fight the were-rats and the salvagers can cough up some goodies to use as bait for the rodents. The PCs enjoy a couple good blasts with the ballista before the ratmen close with them.

And the ring? Nobody in the town above is looking for it ... seems weird. The symbol is that of a noble in the big city two towns over whose house was robbed. The thieves apparently were going to fence the ring in this smaller town here ...

Edwin
2009-01-12, 04:32 PM
Really, the only thing you need to do to make it a fun battle, and one they'll remember, is making it somewhat epic.

As I said once before, cinematic effects is one of the best ways to do this. If the visual (Read: Descriptive) effects are "epic" enough, they can be fighting Dire Camels and still feel like they just saved the world.

That's my experience anyway.

In any case, for more specific ideas;

You could make the sewer, or rather what's inside of it, an entire plot-arch.
Make up some curse or affliction that is released when they break down one of the blockades, and have it contaminate a bunch of people in the city.

First of all, this gives the PC's a pretty compelling reason to help cure it (I.E, being the ones that released it and all), and it'll also make a nice plot-point: The officials of the city will be pissed. There is a lot of potential in that.

Especially if you can induce a strong sense of responsibilty in the PC's through it.

TheCountAlucard
2009-01-12, 06:42 PM
Also, no "Well, it's a sewer, use were-rats and oozes!" Encounter suggestions are welcome, just think outside the box.

Better than rats... use SNAKES! By the end of it, the PCs will have had it with these immeffin' snakes in this immeffin' sewer! :smalltongue:

BobVosh
2009-01-12, 06:47 PM
Have they heard of Tucker's Kobolds? Try to make a gang of kobolds who have heard of it as well...but suck really hard at it. Their murder holes are for mediums (contracted dwarves to do it, didn't specify size on thier drawings)

All traps are as concieved by a 4 year old. So mainly an exercise in "I hope they don't notice this obvious thing over here, so I can mildly inconvience over there"

Incompetent kobolds are the best 'bolds.

Knaight
2009-01-12, 07:01 PM
You have to have a massive room, in which a fight breaks out. Missed shots hit the walls, causing massive spurts of water that throw people across the room, typically injuring. Have a few random breaks, where another spurt just comes out, and pretty soon the PCs will be punching holes in the wall, and having a spray of water come out. However, as more and more holes are punched they throw less and less far(bull rush rules, less of a bonus), and do less and less damage. At some point, a bunch of corks, or something else that can plug the walls floats down, and NPCs will start plugging certain holes to force the water out of others at high speed. The PCs will probably start doing the same, and will pull out other plugs. You might want to only have a few weak points at the beginning where the wall easily breaks, other sections have to be punched through the hard way, taking at least a few turns(or a really nice weapon).

RS14
2009-01-12, 08:28 PM
Low level wizard or druid (or both, mixing them hardly matters in terms of power with two HD) has been developing experiments in the sewers. Mostly mundane stuff, like mutant, pre-cooked chickens, however, he's not pleased to be interrupted by the PCs and makes an escape (tree feather token and a small chokepoint in his lair). Subsequently, his animal companion (nerfed Cheetah (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/cheetah.htm), but with big webbed feet and the ability to use its sprint ability to run across water like a Jesus Lizard (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basiliscus_(genus))) stalks them and tries to kill them. They kill it, naturally.

Finally, they corner the spellcaster as he returns to his lair and get a showdown, perhaps while mutant chickens peck at their legs (Forces a DC10+[# of chickens pecking them] concentration check if appropriate). The chickens should be otherwise harmless, but make sure the layout of the lair prevents them from clobbering the spellcaster on the first round.

I'd give the cheetah 2hd, take away Alertness, decrease its strength by 2, give it 120ft darkvision, and give it a +8 racial bonus to swim checks. Shift rank from spot into jump, so it can leap from the water onto solid ground.

Make the chickens as evil or as mutilated as necessary to justify killing this villain.

I hope this suggestion helps.

Canadian
2009-01-12, 08:37 PM
I've got an idea for the awesome ending.

They come across a room filled with explosive methane gas from all the decomposing waste. When ignited it explodes and blows every manhole cover in the city 100 feet into the air on a pillar of flame. The PC's can avoid the blast by diving under the sewer water as the gas ignites.

Maybe the gas explosion takes out the horde of whatever is chasing them and weakens the end boss.

Perhaps they crawl out of a crater to find themselves covered in sewage and arrested by the city guards for blowing up the sewer system.

Mushroom Ninja
2009-01-12, 08:42 PM
Better than rats... use SNAKES! By the end of it, the PCs will have had it with these immeffin' snakes in this immeffin' sewer! :smalltongue:

Asps... Very Dangerous. You go first.

:smallbiggrin: