PDA

View Full Version : Confused About Bard Spells

supermrjmt
2009-01-12, 08:56 PM
In the Player's Handbook on the "Bard Spells Known" table it says that a bard can know 2 level 1 spells at 2nd level provided they have enough charisma to earn a bonus spell. However it later states "Unlike spells per day, the number of spells a bard knows is not affected by his Charisma score; the numbers on Table: Bard Spells Known are fixed." My bard has a charisma of 18 and is level 2. How many 1st level spells does he know...?

wadledo
2009-01-12, 08:58 PM
In the Player's Handbook on the "Bard Spells Known" table it says that a bard can know 2 level 1 spells at 2nd level provided they have enough charisma to earn a bonus spell. However it later states "Unlike spells per day, the number of spells a bard knows is not affected by his Charisma score; the numbers on Table: Bard Spells Known are fixed." My bard has a charisma of 18 and is level 2. How many 1st level spells does he know...?

He gets additional spells per day for his high Cha, but other than that and save increases, he does not gain more spells known until the next level.

afroakuma
2009-01-12, 08:58 PM
He knows 2.

What this means is that a bard is normally unable to cast 1st level spells at level 2, and therefore doesn't need to know any. If he has the ability to cast those spells (due to high Charisma) then he learns them at the normal bard learning rate.

supermrjmt
2009-01-12, 09:00 PM
Oh! I see know. Thank you!

woodenbandman
2009-01-12, 10:32 PM
If the bard doesn't have a charisma high enough, does he still gain the number of spells indicated when he can cast those spells? In other words, are those numbers absolutes, or are they adjusted based on whether or not you had a high enough charisma to gain them at the time?

afroakuma
2009-01-12, 10:35 PM
The bard learns set numbers of spells once he becomes capable of casting spells of that level. The number of spells he learns never changes; only the level at which they first become available to him.