PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Spell selection/PrC for a Favored Soul

Thurbane
2009-01-13, 12:15 AM
Hi all,

Wondering if you could recommend a decent spell selection for an 8th level Favored Soul. The other casters in the party would be a Beguiler and a Druid, so filling in on some of things they are missing would be nice, or just generally useful spells anyway. Current campaign involves a lot of dungeoneering. The god of the FS would probably be Kord, St Cuthbert or Heironeous (character still in concept at this stage - for the time being, I'm more interested in spell selection than in the character build. And yes, I know Cleric, Archivist etc. is better than FS).

Allowable sources: PHB, PHB II, & SC.

8x0, 6x1, 5x2, 4x3, 3x4

Cheers - T

Nohwl
2009-01-13, 12:38 AM
what role do you want to fill? and why cant you use complete divine?

Thurbane
2009-01-13, 12:49 AM
what role do you want to fill? and why cant you use complete divine?
I suppose Complete Divine would be OK, but 90% of the spells were reprinted in Spell Compendium, weren't they? It would be one less book to lug around to the games (and yes, I know FS is in CD, but it doesn't really have that many class features to remember). I'd prefer to stick with the listed sources. :smallsmile:

As for role, I suppose an all rounder, and to help fill the gaps in the party's spell casting. The party already has melee fairly well covered, so I wouldn't need to really be much of a tank... Priorities would be utility spells, buffing and healing.

Nohwl
2009-01-13, 05:17 PM
something like this?

0: light, read magic, purify food and drink, detect magic, detect poison, guidance, cure minor wounds

1: lesser vigor, command, bless, light of lunia, obscuring mist, blade of blood

2: bulls strength, make whole, shatter, aid, find traps

3: dispel magic, create food and water, vigor, bestow curse

4: panacea, wall of sand, magic weapon-greater

Thurbane
2009-01-13, 08:02 PM
Cool, that's a nice list.

Anyone got any other suggestions?

Also, anyone know any decent, full casting PrCs that a FS can qualify for?

woodenbandman
2009-01-13, 09:57 PM
Absolutely get Divine Power and Righteous Might at the nearest possible opportunity. Visage of the Deity, any, is good. Knowing at least one of those spells is crucial because at times your druid will die, and you'll need to tank for him. These spells help with that. Try to pick up Turn Undead, as it's very useful for Divine Metamagic, which, when combined with Quicken/Extend, and of course, Persist, can make you very versatile, indeed.

Create Food and Water? Really? No, I thought not. Mass Lessor Vigor, if that's the spell level I think it is, because it can be persisted via Divine Metamagic and thus give you infinite out of combat healing.

Nohwl
2009-01-13, 10:59 PM
i find its easiest to take it just so you dont have to worry about your character, you know, starving.

Curmudgeon
2009-01-14, 01:41 AM
If you're ever going to fight anything (and this is D&D, so that's a given) you'll want Divine Power.

I recommend the Church Inquisitor PrC. It's full spellcasting, gives you a domain (Inquisition) which provides +4 to dispel checks (after the caster level part), and a bunch of useful class abilities. The requirements are that you add Zone of Truth to your spell list, and are LG or LN.

imperialspectre
2009-01-14, 02:13 AM
If you're planning on using divine metamagic, you need a PrC that grants the ability to turn undead. Sacred Exorcist comes to mind.

Thurbane
2009-01-14, 01:41 PM
Cool. A Favored Soul could get into Church Inquisitor by 5th level (since Knowledge (Religion) isn't a class skill for FS), but Sacred Exorcist would be more difficult - Knowledge (The Planes) isn't a class skill for FS or CI, and SE requires 10 ranks...

It's really stupid that Favored Souls don't get Knowledge (Religion) as a class skill. I thought this was corrected in the Complete Divine errata, but apparently not. :smalleek:

only1doug
2009-01-14, 02:57 PM
Hi all,

Wondering if you could recommend a decent spell selection for an 8th level Favored Soul. The other casters in the party would be a Beguiler and a Druid, so filling in on some of things they are missing would be nice, or just generally useful spells anyway. Current campaign involves a lot of dungeoneering. The god of the FS would probably be Kord, St Cuthbert or Heironeous (character still in concept at this stage - for the time being, I'm more interested in spell selection than in the character build. And yes, I know Cleric, Archivist etc. is better than FS).

Allowable sources: PHB, PHB II, & SC.

8x0, 6x1, 5x2, 4x3, 3x4

Cheers - T

Hi Thurbane,

I have a Feat suggestion that would influence spell choice, I know you said the list of allowable sources but you also mentioned that the reason was to limit the amount carried. are you allowed to use Complete Champion or Web resources? If so consider the reserve feat Touch Of Healing (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Touch_Of_Healing,CC) and taking cure moderate as one of your 2nd level spells. then, at a cost of retaining one 2nd level spell uncast you can heal the party outside of combat (upto 1/2 health).

Thurbane
2009-01-14, 08:28 PM
Hi Thurbane,

I have a Feat suggestion that would influence spell choice, I know you said the list of allowable sources but you also mentioned that the reason was to limit the amount carried. are you allowed to use Complete Champion or Web resources? If so consider the reserve feat Touch Of Healing (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Touch_Of_Healing,CC) and taking cure moderate as one of your 2nd level spells. then, at a cost of retaining one 2nd level spell uncast you can heal the party outside of combat (upto 1/2 health).
That's a good suggestion. I'll have to check if it would be allowed. Funny thing is I currently run a Dragon Shaman, so I'm used to healing the party up to 1/2 outside of combat. :smallbiggrin:

Nohwl
2009-01-14, 08:39 PM
if you wanted turn undead, knight of the raven would work. its not in the listed sources though.

kjones
2009-01-14, 10:10 PM
There are two schools of thought as to how to choose spells as a Favored Soul. The question is this: Do you want to dump your Wisdom or not? If you dump Wisdom, you can still be very effective while restricting yourself to spells that don't have saving throws (basically, buffs) since you only need Wisdom for your save DC's. Then you're free to boost Strength and/or Con, and become a tankier Favored Soul. If you don't, then you can take whatever, and be a more castier Favored Soul.

Curmudgeon
2009-01-14, 10:38 PM
if you wanted turn undead, knight of the raven would work. its not in the listed sources though. It's not even a WotC PrC, according to the online prestige class index (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/prc).

Epinephrine
2009-01-14, 10:48 PM
I'd recommend Close Wounds in the 2nd level slots - an immediate action, close range heal is a REALLY handy thing to have (or at least, it has been for us). Sure, it's only 1d4+5, but it can save a life.

Nohwl
2009-01-14, 10:52 PM
It's not even a WotC PrC, according to the online prestige class index (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/prc).

its from expedition to castle ravenloft. and yes it is. just search for knight of the raven.

knight of the raven Rav 200 Before evil descended on the land of Barovia, it was home to an order of virtuous champions, the Knights of the Raven.

Curmudgeon
2009-01-14, 11:18 PM
Your deity's favored weapon selection can influence your spells. For instance, if your deity has unarmed strike as their favored weapon, Foundation of Stone can help you with trip attempts so you don't get tripped yourself.

Thurbane
2009-01-15, 12:56 AM
Your deity's favored weapon selection can influence your spells. For instance, if your deity has unarmed strike as their favored weapon, Foundation of Stone can help you with trip attempts so you don't get tripped yourself.
Good point. The deity would be from the core PHB deities, or possibly expanded to other Greyhawk Deities (http://www.wizards.com/rpga/downloads/LG_Deities.zip).