PDA

View Full Version : Time is running out... (speculation thread)

Terraxos
2009-01-13, 10:12 AM
I was re-reading War and XPs recently, having received it as a Christmas present; and it made me realise just how long it's been since that book ended, and how much has happened since. The OOTS books so far have contained about 180 strips; and War and XPs ended in strip 485, 137 strips ago. Assuming the next book will be of the same length, that means there's only about another 50 strips left in this 'chapter' of the story.

So... what's going to happen in that time?

The following things have to happen, in my view:
- The Order have to be reunited.
- Roy has to get resurrected. (He can't be dead for the whole book!)
- Celia has to leave the party (based on the dislike she's provoked here, if nothing else!)
- V's plotline has to be resolved. (Presumably with s/he taking up some kind of offer from Qarr, and leaving the party.)

Also possible:
- The Azurite refugees will find a new home.
- Kasumi and Daigo will have their baby. (awww.)
- Another cutaway to Xykon's team. (Or, less likely, to the Linear Guild.)
- Another visit to the Oracle.
- Something I haven't thought of.

So... does anyone have any guesses for exactly how these things will happen? I'm wondering, because as the title of this thread says, there's not a whole lot of strips left to wrap things up!

Shadowcaller
2009-01-13, 10:17 AM
I was re-reading War and XPs recently, having received it as a Christmas present; and it made me realise just how long it's been since that book ended, and how much has happened since. The OOTS books so far have contained about 180 strips; and War and XPs ended in strip 485, 137 strips ago. Assuming the next book will be of the same length, that means there's only about another 50 strips left in this 'chapter' of the story.

So... what's going to happen in that time?

- Celia has to leave the party (based on the dislike she's provoked here, if nothing else!)
- V's plotline has to be resolved. (Presumably with s/he taking up some kind of offer from Qarr, and leaving the party.)

Also possible:

So... does anyone have any guesses for exactly how these things will happen? I'm wondering, because as the title of this thread says, there's not a whole lot of strips left to wrap things up!

Well if the giant would let the hate a certain character have provoked change the story then yes, that would not be a reasonable presumption.

But to me it feels like he have ignored the hate fanclub that have arised during these weeks.

hamishspence
2009-01-13, 10:19 AM
if Linear Guild were missed, this would be the first book, besides prequels, not to have them in it.

Oracle really only needs one visit.

I find myself wondering if, because Girard's Gate is on western continent and is next, as is Lord Tyrinar, the next book will tie the two threads together?

tcrudisi
2009-01-13, 10:57 AM
if Linear Guild were missed, this would be the first book, besides prequels, not to have them in it.

Oracle really only needs one visit.

I find myself wondering if, because Girard's Gate is on western continent and is next, as is Lord Tyrinar, the next book will tie the two threads together?

This does make some sense. I don't suspect we'll see from the Linear Guild in the next 50 strips; they are not playing an important enough role at the moment. Logically, I like the idea that the next book ties those two threads together.

I also agree with the following: The Order will be brought together by the end of this book, Roy will be ressurrected, and Celia leaving the party. I do not think Celia will leave the party because of how much she is hated; I believe she will leave the party because once the party is reunited, she has no skills of value to the party as a whole that are beneficial. (Unless you count ... never mind. I'll keep this rated G for the kiddies who might read this). V is the only one I am not sure will make it back to the party before the end of the book. I hope so - V is a cool character and I want to see his/her reaction to the "new" Belkar. (Belkar doesn't have to be new; V just has to think he has turned over a new leaf).

hamishspence
2009-01-13, 11:04 AM
I also wonder if, just for completist's sake, it will end at the last gate?

If so, given that its in the far north, and that Durkons home was in a snowy region (could have been winter though) Durkon's backstory could link up to the last gate. This is dependant on the gate and Durkon's home being close together though, which is only a guess based on both being snowy.

Origin spoilers
Durkon's backstory- he will bring doom on his home when he returns. He doesn't know that. Is the reason he was sent away and told not to return till asked.

Since he is predicted by the Oracle to return posthumously, If he was killed, and the Order fled, with his body, to the nearby dwarven town, and the bad guys are in pursuit, that would fulfill both "return posthumously" and "bring doom when he returns"

RMS Oceanic
2009-01-13, 11:52 AM
Keep in mind that the books have been getting longer and longer.

Dungeon Crawlin' Fools: 1-121 with +/- 14 bonus pages = +/- 140 pages
No Cure for the Paladin Blues: 122-301 with +/- 8 bonus pages = +/-200 pages
War and XPs: 302-484 with +/- 10 bonus pages, and tons of double-issues = +/- 220 pages

Book 4 could easily see us hit #700 before reaching its end.

David Argall
2009-01-13, 08:19 PM
Keep in mind that the books have been getting longer and longer.

Dungeon Crawlin' Fools: 1-121 with +/- 14 bonus pages = +/- 140 pages
No Cure for the Paladin Blues: 122-301 with +/- 8 bonus pages = +/-200 pages
War and XPs: 302-484 with +/- 10 bonus pages, and tons of double-issues = +/- 220 pages

Book 4 could easily see us hit #700 before reaching its end.

Book 2 was 180 strips. Book3 was 184. And both are rather thick books, and not cheap. So 216 strips is quite unlikely. There may well be over 216 pages, but the number of strips will be much lower. 180-190 is the range we should be looking at.

Very likely

Given it is stated that Miko's death was planned from before she first appeared, the idea Celia will be thrown away because some readers are upset is silly. But she doesn't have an obvious role once Roy is back [beyond a few quick sex jokes that might take a strip or so] and is likely to vanish for a long time.

Quite possibly starting with 623.

Also possible:
Much more likely they will recover their old home. We don't want to leave a city full of slaves, do we?

A one strip point, if that.

We will get a cutaway when team evil decides to leave for the next gate. This may happen just before the party leads a successful recapture of Azure City. The Linear Guild has been in every book so far, and a cutaway to them now can give foreshadowing for the Western adventures.

We have probably seen the last of the Oracle.

Beklar is about to breathe his last. Quite possibly during this book.