PDA

View Full Version : A new prequel book?

Niley
2009-01-13, 11:34 AM
As far as I remember, in No Cure for the Paladin Blues Rich stated that there will be more prequel books, apart from Origins and SoD. Any ideas or speculations? Personally, I would really like to see a prequel book about the Linear Guild...

RMS Oceanic
2009-01-13, 11:56 AM
There are two likely candidates: The Linear Guild, as you said, and The Order of the Scribble/Rift, with possibly more stuff on the early days of the Sapphire Guard.

And yes, I'd like to see them.

That said, another nice alternative would be a compilation of short stories about minor characters: The Oracle, Goblin Dan, The Chief, Julia Greenhilt, etc...

Hzurr
2009-01-13, 02:45 PM
For some reason, I think I remember Rich mentioning at some point that it had to do with Eugene, but I honestly don't remember the details. I could be making that up.

BUT I DOUBT IT!

(seriously, I think this is correct, but I wouldn't bet the farm)

Enlong
2009-01-13, 03:50 PM
For some reason, I think I remember Rich mentioning at some point that it had to do with Eugene, but I honestly don't remember the details. I could be making that up.

BUT I DOUBT IT!

Doubtful, as the important details of Eugene's past and life as an adventurer were covered by Start of Darkness in about as much detail as is needed.

I think that an Order of the Scribble backstory is more likely. It would certainly be nice to know more about them. Girard especially. (WHAT CLASS IS HE?!)

hamishspence
2009-01-13, 04:01 PM
Wizard specializing in illusion- that is, illusionist, maybe with 1 level or so of ranger?

Is the most immediately plausible "illusionist and tracker". Another class with illusion-heavy spell list exists (Beguiler) but is PHB2, lat 3.5 ed, and less plausible.

David Argall
2009-01-13, 04:50 PM
A book on the Linear Guild is not going to come out until at least well into the next volume. Our writer is wanting to keep some things dark about Elan/Nale's past and that means that past can't get a LG book before the secrets are presented in the strip. Now it might follow quickly thereafter since it would cover material that may be entirely thought out now. But we are still talking at least a year away, and maybe two or more.

A prequel book for the Scribble could be written now probably, but such books seem to be routinely inferior. One is hampered by the need to defer to the main story. About all that recommends them is the name on the cover.

Now a short story collection has much in its favor. But it too will have to be delayed until deep into book 5, or 6. In its favor is that it covers a lot of needs. SoD has substantial portions that don't cover Xykon-Redcloak. If it needs padding, we can assume the next volume will need even more, making it pretty much a short story collection in any case.

[TS] Shadow
2009-01-13, 07:43 PM
A book on the Linear Guild is not going to come out until at least well into the next volume. Our writer is wanting to keep some things dark about Elan/Nale's past and that means that past can't get a LG book before the secrets are presented in the strip. Now it might follow quickly thereafter since it would cover material that may be entirely thought out now. But we are still talking at least a year away, and maybe two or more.

A prequel book for the Scribble could be written now probably, but such books seem to be routinely inferior. One is hampered by the need to defer to the main story. About all that recommends them is the name on the cover.

Now a short story collection has much in its favor. But it too will have to be delayed until deep into book 5, or 6. In its favor is that it covers a lot of needs. SoD has substantial portions that don't cover Xykon-Redcloak. If it needs padding, we can assume the next volume will need even more, making it pretty much a short story collection in any case.

No offense, but SoD had a lot of plot points (mainly Redcloak's motives) that have yet to appear in the strip at all. If that's so, then a Linear Guild book revealing secrets about Nale/Sabine/Thog isn't that unlikely. Actually, it would draw people to buy the book, so they can know secret plot points before the online readers do.

Now, if there is a Linear Guild book, I want to know a few things. First, what style will it be in? Will it be funny, like Origins, or dark, like SoD? Secondly, will it cover the minor members of the guild? I'd love to know more about Yikyik/Yokyok, Hylga, Zz'dtri, Pompey, and Leeky, as I have suspicions that they will appear again sometime. Also, what are Thog's motivations? He might have the deepest and most heartbreaking story of them all...

:thog: hi. my name thog. you kill daddy. prepare to die.

tahu88810
2009-01-13, 07:49 PM
Shadow;5636394']
:thog: hi. my name thog. you kill daddy. prepare to die.

More like
:thog: hi. my name thog. you kill puppy and eat icecream. prepare to die.

someonenonotyou
2009-01-13, 07:53 PM
i say an Mr. scruffy prequel book

Assassin89
2009-01-13, 08:12 PM
i say an Mr. scruffy prequel book

I think that book would not last long. All we see is a kitten growing to be an adult cat.

[TS] Shadow
2009-01-13, 09:30 PM
I think that book would not last long. All we see is a kitten growing to be an adult cat.

Yet it would be the most epic book ever made in the history of the world.

Berserk Monk
2009-01-14, 07:31 AM
Shadow;5636925']Yet it would be the most epic book ever made in the history of the world.

Sorry. The correct answer is this is the most epic book ever made in the history of the world. (http://www.homestarrunner.com/amazon.html)

Samurai Jill
2009-01-14, 07:38 AM
MikoMikoMikoMikoMikoMiko!?

I'm sorry. That came out wrong- What I meant was MikoMikoMikoMikoMikoMiko-

Godsdamnit! I would like a prequel book involving M- *mph*.

Finwe
2009-01-14, 07:43 AM
Sorry. The correct answer is this is the most epic book ever made in the history of the world. (http://www.homestarrunner.com/amazon.html)

More epic than this (http://www.amazon.com/Iliad-Penguin-Classics-Deluxe/dp/0140275363), this (http://www.amazon.com/Aeneid-Penguin-Classics-Deluxe/dp/0143105132/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231937005&sr=1-1) and this (http://www.amazon.com/Odyssey-Penguin-Classics-Homer/dp/0143039954/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231937025&sr=1-1)?

:smalltongue:

Nevrmore
2009-01-14, 07:44 AM
An Order of the Scribble/Whatever book is one I'd really like to see. Kraagor intrigues me.

ref
2009-01-14, 12:28 PM
I second Samurai Jill.

Niley
2009-01-14, 02:26 PM
I'm all for a Linear Guild and Order of the Scribble prequel books. And Miko... why do I have the name 'Start of Dorkness' in mind? :smallbiggrin:

Zordrath
2009-01-14, 02:27 PM
A Miko prequel would most likely include lots of Shojo (gotta need someone to act as joke dispenser), so naturally, I'm all for it :smallbiggrin:

I think the most realistic one right now is the Order of the Scribble. Linear Guild would be another possibility, but I don't think the secrets of Nale and Sabine's origins will be told anytime soon. Plus, I honestly don't find them interesting enough to warrant an own book (while all characters started as stereotypes, I think the Guild, along with Durkon, are the ones who have deviated the least from that origin), though I know that's just personal taste (and maybe an own origin story would be exactly the thing to make them interesting, so who knows?)

hamishspence
2009-01-14, 02:31 PM
the Sapphire Guard story- showing the events up to raid on Redcloak's village, from their point of view, might be interesting. And Shojo, to the point where he has to feign senility (Meat loaf Day was a reason, but I'd like to see more than that) And Miko's recruitment by Shojo- maybe Miko The Early Years might have some development.

If Miko could be made as interesting, and as sympathetic (while still not removing her excess zeal, just explaining it) as Redcloak, a Sapphire Guard-heavy book could be good.

Linkavitch
2009-01-15, 03:18 PM
I still need to read the first two! *sniff* but, yeah, a couple more would be cool.

David Argall
2009-01-15, 06:42 PM
Shadow;5636394'] No offense, but SoD had a lot of plot points (mainly Redcloak's motives) that have yet to appear in the strip at all. If that's so, then a Linear Guild book revealing secrets about Nale/Sabine/Thog isn't that unlikely. Actually, it would draw people to buy the book, so they can know secret plot points before the online readers do.

SoD Redcloak's motives are explained in SoD. It shows why Redcloak is so loyal to Xykon, and why Xykon trusts him. There are no deep secrets that are going to be ported over. We may see his niece, with an introduction somewhat like Haley in Greysky & Origin. But that is about the limit. A number of people do seem to reason that since Redcloak is a sympathetic figure, he is going to do something that is completely against his character. But SoD tells us why he won't.

Kroy
2009-01-15, 06:57 PM
I think the most realistic one right now is the Order of the Scribble. Linear Guild would be another possibility, but I don't think the secrets of Nale and Sabine's origins will be told anytime soon. Plus, I honestly don't find them interesting enough to warrant an own book.

This. And I'm pretty sure Miko is getting one either, for the same reason (though all three would be cool).

[TS] Shadow
2009-01-15, 08:11 PM
SoD Redcloak's motives are explained in SoD. It shows why Redcloak is so loyal to Xykon, and why Xykon trusts him. There are no deep secrets that are going to be ported over. We may see his niece, with an introduction somewhat like Haley in Greysky & Origin. But that is about the limit. A number of people do seem to reason that since Redcloak is a sympathetic figure, he is going to do something that is completely against his character. But SoD tells us why he won't.

The plan, anyone? Redcloaks motivations are integral to the story, because what he would do with the power of the Snarl if he can get ahold of it is scary. Really scary. Also, the charm Xykon put on the MitD might (but probably won't) have some significance in the future.

Lerky
2009-01-16, 03:43 AM
spoilered for no reason other than wanting to play it safe:smalltongue::I think if anything it would be the past of Shinjo and Miko and important NPCs
or
The Order of the Scribble
or
Eugene explaing how Roy's brother, Eric, died. I'm pretty sure it was confirmed that it was an accident involving an expriment the Eugene had tried, which Roy tried to tell wouldn't.

I must admit the one about Eugene would be very short though, because all we basically don't know about him is how Eric died. Shinjo's and Miko's past are equally unimportant because little history is revealed about them in the first place, making them kinda bland. The Order of the Scrible is the best bet in my opinion. We don't know how other members joined, only Liran and Soon. We also don't know their adventures completely, just little excerts. So my bet is on OotScribble

RMS Oceanic
2009-01-16, 05:18 AM
You know, "Shinjo", as opposed to the late Lord Shojo and the current lord Hinjo, gets mentioned so much, I bet the Giant will have Shojo's father be named Shinjo.

LukeSimm
2009-01-17, 09:38 AM
An order of the scribble prequel book would be interesting, but would Rich do it all in the crayon style? It'd make an interesting change from the other prequels though, having a different art style.

--- Luke

gamerboy6000
2009-01-17, 02:50 PM

BUT I DOUBT IT!

If that's correct, it's probably about his father's adventuring party and the Blood Oath

Twice Bitten
2009-01-17, 03:15 PM
In all RPG's I have played, D&D or not, I like most the beginnings. Creating a character and doing some basic and often stupid quests. So I'd like to see all OOTS character at level 1. Maybe level 0 if possible (before starting adventurer career). Doing heroic quests like killing rats or finding lost wallet (and keeping it, if we talk about Haley.)

SlightlyEvil
2009-01-17, 03:23 PM
You know, "Shinjo", as opposed to the late Lord Shojo and the current lord Hinjo, gets mentioned so much, I bet the Giant will have Shojo's father be named Shinjo.

Oh gods, that would be awesome. It's a shame the Giant specifically avoids reading this kind of thread.

hamishspence
2009-01-17, 03:52 PM
Sorry, War & XPs bonus material confirms that Soon Kim and the Lord of the city, Lord Ronjo, built the castle "over 50 years ago." Given Shojo ruled for 47 years, that would suggest his dad was Ronjo.

T-O-E
2009-01-17, 04:00 PM
Hinjo's heir maybe?

[TS] Shadow
2009-01-18, 01:17 PM
Hinjo doesn't have an heir...yet. Foreshadowing and my personal hunch leads me to believe that he will have an heir, and Lein will be involved...(I can dream, can't I?)

Back on topic, Linear Guild is probably a more likely bet. We know almost nothing about Nale's past, other than being seperated from Elan. If we think that Nale/Elan's' father is Lord Tyrinar, then a Linear Guild prequel book would be the most likely source of information.