PDA

View Full Version : Any risus players?

Egiam
2009-01-13, 02:01 PM
I just finished my second session of a Risus game I was GM'n. Have any of you guys actually played a game? If so, please share. Other then that I have only played d20 and have a narrow view of whats possible (go to the temple of arrah-chul and find magic sword, slay evil dragon, etc, etc...) and am looking for inspiration.

The game I'm doing is a american west theme, but the players are playing as the natives. Probably the best part was when the P.C.s were in an "Indiana Jones style" horse chase with bows and tomahawks. One character actually nudged the foe off his horse (called insanely difficult horseman cliche roll), grabed the other horse, steered them both Zorro style and trampled him as his next combat roll. It was sweet.

Panda-s1
2009-01-13, 10:16 PM
Hell yeah, the first campaign I ever ran was Risus. Some kind of renaissance era fantasy deal of some sort. It was pretty cool, but after I did I knew I could be a GM. Haven't played it much since, spontaneous RP'ing just doesn't happen with the people I know.

Lorien077
2009-01-13, 11:47 PM
...That doesn't sound like the same game but I'm pretty damn sure it was risus. We were all ridiculous. We had a lumberjack who used his pancake grease to trip people, an evil chemist/ lawyer, etc. etc. Risus is amazing in that it can do anything. :)

Tengu_temp
2009-01-13, 11:59 PM
Risus is great for fast and rules-light, not very serious games - the mechanics are stupidly easy and it takes literally seconds to create a new character. If you're looking for a more complex, rules-heavy system that's still universal, BESM, M&M and GURPS are better, but Risus fits a different niche than these.

Egiam
2009-01-14, 04:02 PM
I'm fully aware of the other universal RPG systems, I am just curious in how such a game works with credit cards, weapon licenses and planes. In DND, we play adventurers. But those don't really fit in, say, a feudal japanese setting.

Thanks anyway for replying! :smallbiggrin:

Satyr
2009-01-14, 05:25 PM
So what are you looking for? Particular information about how to run a game of RISUS or on how to create a non-d&d-oid adventure setting?

Egiam
2009-01-14, 07:18 PM
I think the later. But campaigns more than settings.