PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Concept- Free skill rolls at character creation

Zeful
2009-01-13, 05:43 PM
I was thinking about running a game in a custom setting but was having trouble trying to find ways to introduce the history without handing a small novel to the players. At first I thought of having all the PCs take 10 on a free Knowledge (history) roll, but discarded it as some characters might not have been interested in history, and I thought well what about other skill checks like Craft or Profession. Well then players could start with a little more money or the beginnings of a masterwork weapon. I moved on to other, similar skills like Gather Information and the other Knowledge skills, which seemed like a good way to blend a character's backstory with the game experience (a character looking for something (like the cliched wife/daughter/other relative or a McGuffin) will start with some leads for example). Eventually I came up with this.

At the end of character creation, the character may make 5 (or 3 I haven't decided yet) skill checks of any of the following skills: Craft Gather Information Handle Animal Any Knowledge skill Perform ProfessionLike other checks you must tell the DM what exactly you are attempting to do, so that the DM may give accurate circumstance modifiers, as well as the appropriate information (in the case of Knowledge and Gather Information checks). Things like Craft and Handle Animal require the purchase of the appropriate regents or animals before those skill checks may be rolled.

What do you guys think?

Tequila Sunrise
2009-01-13, 06:19 PM
IME, this is how DMs rule already, albeit in an ad-hoc fashion. If I start out with Craft (alchemy), it's pretty reasonable to assume that I would have already made a few alchemical items. So it should work out fine to have a concrete rule about how many checks you can make...it just seems a little overly fine-grained, IMO.

TS

The Neoclassic
2009-01-13, 06:57 PM
I like it. It sounds reasonable, and if everyone gets to do it, it should not unbalance anything. I say go for it.

Zeful
2009-01-13, 07:06 PM
IME, this is how DMs rule already, albeit in an ad-hoc fashion. If I start out with Craft (alchemy), it's pretty reasonable to assume that I would have already made a few alchemical items. So it should work out fine to have a concrete rule about how many checks you can make...it just seems a little overly fine-grained, IMO.

TS

That's because I think about things obsessively. I've thought about this for roughly 103 hours over the last couple of years. And the imposing the limit is so that I don't get taken for granted, which has happened before.

Jimp
2009-01-13, 08:31 PM
Sounds good to me.
*Steals idea and scuttles away*

Egiam
2009-01-13, 08:36 PM
I honestly think that a time restriction is better than a roll limit. If it takes a few hours to make a scroll, a week to make an alchemical grenade, and a month to train an animal, the time it takes to make each item should come into affect.

ericgrau
2009-01-13, 09:21 PM
I think the best stories come up as you play, not as interludes of exposition. Knowledge skills always represent something you already knew a long time ago, you just don't worry about it until it comes up during play.

One method I was thinking of using for knowledge in general was to write tidbits of information onto cards, along with which knowledge skill it uses and the DC. Whenever it comes up during the game, I'd make a secret roll or check a list of pre-rolls. The PC's skills would be copied on a list in front of me. If the roll succeeds I'd hand the appropriate PC(s) the card. That way players don't need to remember info out-of-character, don't have to rattle off all their knowledge skills and aren't left in the dark just because they didn't specifically ask for a roll. There's no need for exposition b/c you'll hand the PC the card when the time is right and, unlike exposition, he won't forget. With that out of the way, I think players would have a better chance of investigating mysteries on their own instead of being led on. And I think more people would want to put skill points in knowledge if it was that easy to use. Memorization/fact-finding is a less interesting and fun form of thought than evaluation.

But as for craft and handle animal, good idea.

Zeful
2009-01-14, 12:33 AM
I honestly think that a time restriction is better than a roll limit. If it takes a few hours to make a scroll, a week to make an alchemical grenade, and a month to train an animal, the time it takes to make each item should come into affect.

Why would a time restriction be better? This method is a way of getting the player in character almost immediately. What was he doing before he actually started adventuring/this adventure? You'll still have the clueless/apathetic roleplayer still having vague mysterious characters 'cause they want to kill things rather than join an impromptu theater (or in the case of the clueless roleplayer because he doesn't know better[1]), but they get to put some thought into the character they wouldn't otherwise (as well as a monetary benefit). It gives characters who want to roleplay a way to jump into the character immeadiatly (as well as other benefits).

Person_Man
2009-01-14, 11:12 AM
Regarding the problem of PC's not knowing the common history and culture of their world, I can relate.

I've been a DM in every edition of D&D. I have a homebrew campaign world that could fill several fake history textbooks. Some of my campaigns have lasted so long that they could fill several trilogies. And I've learned through bitter experience that PCs are very interested in the elaborate backstories I create, for about one paragraph. After reading more then one paragraph to them on any subject, their eyes start to glaze over. They get antsy. They want to do things, not sit and listen to me say things. Sometimes they will patiently listen and ask questions, and then forget everything we talked about two game sessions later.

It is only through long term interaction that PCs become attached to a game world. Just telling it to them is often pointless. They need to discover it through their own actions, and those discoveries need to directly relate to the plot.

Have the PC's start in an isolated village, island, prison, or whatever. Then have them go out into the world and discover it. They'll pick up on the important things as you go along, and if they don't pick up on it, then it's probably not important. If you must include detailed background information for your plot trees to work, then give it to them in a handout, and make them interesting. Maps, wanted notices, blood stained letters, etc.

Tacoma
2009-01-14, 05:33 PM
As for crafts, I would just say that the character pays 1/3 for goods that he can make on a roll of 10. If you have a good stat and put 4 ranks in, that includes quite a bit, leaving out only most alchemy things, exotic weapons, and complex items like locks.

I also let him have tools for his skill at 1/3 cost since it's assumed they've paid for themselves in part due to his past work.

If someone has Handle Animal high enough he can have trained animals at 1/3 the cost if he could have trained them with a roll of 10. This represents past efforts at raising the animal in question.

This is just during chargen, of course. Once the game starts he'd need to make rolls to build things and spend the time.

As for professions, I've used the "info cards" trick before. I had local knowledge that each of a few professions would have, and for people with Gather Info or Knowledge skills I had local rumors and "tavern tales". This way the party Bard would be a good source of starting information (although that particular game didn't have anyone who wanted to play a Bard).