PDA

View Full Version : Wireless USB Adapter help needed

Syka
2009-01-13, 08:18 PM
So, my year old desktop did not come with wireless. I need one of those USB wireless adapters or whatever. The guy at the store recommended LinkSys and said they had the most stable connection. Another guy, also shopping around, said that Wireless-N was the newest one and I should get one of those and not worry about the brand.

I was wondering if any of you guys had tips on what to get. I really want to use my desktop again. :(

Cobra_Ikari
2009-01-13, 08:21 PM
So, my year old desktop did not come with wireless. I need one of those USB wireless adapters or whatever. The guy at the store recommended LinkSys and said they had the most stable connection. Another guy, also shopping around, said that Wireless-N was the newest one and I should get one of those and not worry about the brand.

I was wondering if any of you guys had tips on what to get. I really want to use my desktop again. :(

Wireless N appears to be the fastest, but I'm not an expert on this at all. I will say that I've used Linksys before, and they've all (with one exception) worked excellently. But I don't think brand matters as much, yeah...

Sorry I can't help more. =\

Syka
2009-01-13, 08:25 PM
But I think Wireless-N only works if you have a Wireless-N router. Ours is a number of years old so...definitely not N. >> I don't see us upgrading anytime soon.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-01-13, 08:31 PM
But I think Wireless-N only works if you have a Wireless-N router. Ours is a number of years old so...definitely not N. >> I don't see us upgrading anytime soon.

Oh. Well, that would be something to ask your tech-savvy friends, or the store guys. =\

What kind of router do you have?

Syka
2009-01-13, 08:37 PM
Westel something or other. It's through the phone company; we got it at least four years ago.

FdL
2009-01-13, 08:38 PM
Well, as far as I know, any wireless adapter will be backwards compatible. The same with network cards, the faster ones work in slower modes too.

As long as brands are concerned, all I know is that any wireless adapter that has an Atheros chipset is very good. My netbook has one and it rocks. Well, I've read in wikipedia that Linksys uses Atheros, though I don't know which particular model. Would be good to research it. D-Link and Netgear are also mentioned as using it.

Jack Squat
2009-01-13, 08:44 PM

802.11N (Wireless N) will also run on 802.11g, not sure about b, but I assume it will.

The designation is more of classifying how fast/far it can go (N is faster and has longer range than g which is faster and longer range than b) than what it has to go with.

Although b can't run on g or N, but N should be able to use g.

I haven't looked at anything in awhile, so that last part about g working on N could be off.

mangosta71
2009-01-14, 11:11 AM
Your router is probably a g-band. You should be able to find the product information on the unit and look it up if you want to confirm the type before you go out to buy an adapter, but most adapters don't care about what type of signal it is anyway. For the most part, any adapter will work with any router. Link-sys is a common brand, and they have fairly good tech support, so that's a good option if you're not tech-savvy.

I'm assuming that wiring your PC isn't an option, so be prepared to rearrange your room. In general, getting your PC as close to the router as possible will help, unless there's a structure inside the wall that blocks the signal.

The problem with the g-band is it's the frequency most wireless telephones use, so if someone is using it your wireless connection may get spotty. It's also slower and shorter-range.

I just went through this process myself, so I'm kinda sympathetic to the issue. :smallwink:

Syka
2009-01-14, 11:53 AM
Sorry, I know N would work, but I don't think it would work in making it faster/longer connection unless the router is N as well.

We're going to be figuring out if we can hardwire my desktop up, but I'm not sure we'd have enough cable for that. Since my room is, literally, more than halfway across the house from the router. This'll be fun...><

Thanks for the help. :) I was basically wondering if it's worth the extra money for LinkSys and/or the extra 20 for Wireless-N.

Cheers~

Jack Squat
2009-01-14, 12:26 PM
Sorry, I know N would work, but I don't think it would work in making it faster/longer connection unless the router is N as well.

That's right, they work on lowest common denominator. I however would shell out the money for an "N" because colleges are starting to switch over...also I'm a geek and like the latest gadgets :smalltongue:

We're going to be figuring out if we can hardwire my desktop up, but I'm not sure we'd have enough cable for that. Since my room is, literally, more than halfway across the house from the router. This'll be fun...><

On a quick search, I found 1000 feet (http://www.optimization-world.com/details/prodid/238.html) of cable. You can run 330 feet of cable before it needs a power boost, so be sure to calculate the length outside of the walls as well...although it really shouldn't be a problem for a house.

Thanks for the help. :) I was basically wondering if it's worth the extra money for LinkSys and/or the extra 20 for Wireless-N.

I find it is...but if you're going to hardwire, that's better than a wireless (faster speed and so long as it's hooked up, you don't lose a signal). All depends on what your goals are and what you're willing to spend. For a desktop though, there's really no point in having wireless over wired unless you don't want to/can't pull cable. We've only got wireless because of our laptops.

Crispy Dave
2009-01-14, 06:23 PM
the problem with N is its still not completed technology its basically in beta and has bugs. Go with a G wireless and brand wont matter to much. Also if you have a friend tech savy enough to instrall it for you get a PCI card instead.

Syka
2009-01-14, 06:26 PM
the problem with N is its still not completed technology its basically in beta and has bugs. Go with a G wireless and brand wont matter to much. Also if you have a friend tech savy enough to instrall it for you get a PCI card instead.

It's currently got 2 more years of warranty left at Best Buy. I'm pretty sure opening it up would void said warranty. Hence, if I get a card it'll be installed by them, but that would be even more money. ><

Cobra_Ikari
2009-01-14, 06:28 PM
...wiring seems like the better idea. With two people, it's not hard at all. >.>