PDA

View Full Version : Theory: Belkar will not die for more then twenty strips!

Dagonet
2009-01-13, 08:33 PM
This is just a theory, but what if V kills "the halfling" and somehow gets his corpse animated?

Because of Quarr's influence and her disbelief that the party, and especially
Sir. Greenhilt, likes Belkar more then they like her, I find the possibility of her killing him and then reanimating him within the realms of possibility.

Llama231
2009-01-13, 08:35 PM
Why 20?

That is another possibilty to throw in.

Dagonet
2009-01-13, 08:46 PM
Not 20 specifically, just saying that it will be a short span of strips. V will kill, get an evil dood to reanimate, and then go insane. No cuttaways, no nothin'.

GSFB
2009-01-13, 08:59 PM
Belkar will die very soon, from a scorching case of the clap. He will not be raised because all of the local diamond supply is already spoken for.

[TS] Shadow
2009-01-13, 09:25 PM
To be honest, I doubt Belkar will die even within 100 strips. If he dies within 20 strips, the Giant will severly dissapoint me, and you don't want to dissapoint me, Giant. I learned my torture techniques from Twilight fangirls.

Rhascar
2009-01-14, 09:07 AM
I seriously doubt Belkar will ever die in the strip.

IIRC The Oracle only said he'd "Draw his last breath". He could actually become some sort of outsider and live forever without one draw of breath ;)

Of course another really lame solution would be just getting some sort of magical item that enables him to live without breathing...

He could also become a construct, a ghost, a god :D.... there's any number of things that don't breathe the air for living.

Fish too I gues :D

hamishspence
2009-01-14, 09:15 AM
while the Oracles other statements aren't as "for the record" they are tailored to support it. "Not long for this world" "savour his next birthday cake" The first suggests he will cease to be on material plane.

The second, while it could be taken to mean "whatever it is can't eat" is more simply interpreted as "there will be no more birthdays- as in, not immortal, because immortals still have birthdays."

NENAD
2009-01-14, 09:47 AM
All that can be readily interpreted from the Oracle's statements is that A) His next birthday cake will be his best for a good long while, B) He isn't going to be breathing much longer, and C) He's not going to be on the material plane much longer. This all implies he's going to bite the dust, but it wouldn't surprise me too terribly if he just became Belkar, God of Horrible Cakes or something.

Brewdude
2009-01-14, 09:51 AM
pffft, for all we know, he'll get struck temporarily mute, and to communicate with the party that the dragon in the next weapon is red, he'll have to create a picture of the dragon with flame coming out of his mouth.

When met with people not understanding/caring, etc. he'll vow to never use visual communication again, making that picture the last breath weapon he ever draws. :)

King of Nowhere
2009-01-15, 01:27 PM
Actually I don't have War and XP (ordered it, it should arrive in a few weeks), but from what I read I got the impression that the Giant never said someone was going to die. He just said someone will have to pay a great price. So knowing that Belkar will die soon, this seemed the logica conclusion. I don't think so.
Rich would not do something so obvious. Kill a character and announcing it clearly months before. Giving Belkar a character improvement and then killing him before exploring all the potentialities (and seriously, Belkar is more awesome than ever).
My opinion is that the price will be paid in some other way (it can be what happened to Haley, or something that will happen to V) and Belkar will die at the end of the story, who will take a few months of comic time (the battle for Azure city took 80 strips, lot of double ones, and it was one day).
That on the assumption that Rich never explicitly said that someone was going to die to raise Roy.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

David Argall
2009-01-15, 09:44 PM
Belkar is toast, a gonner, nearly finished.

But as long as we are looking at silly ideas of how he might survive, most of the prophecies talk about "his" situation. So if we hit him with the Belt...

[TS] Shadow
2009-01-15, 10:18 PM

But as long as we are looking at silly ideas of how he might survive, most of the prophecies talk about "his" situation. So if we hit him with the Belt...

David Argall, you just made my day.

SSGW Priest
2009-01-15, 11:35 PM
From a metaphysical point of view, Belkar has already breathed his last. Belkar 2.0 is walking the earth after his spirit journey. Remember, death does not have to be physical, it can be mental or spiritual as well. Just an amusing, drunken perspective.

Totally Guy
2009-01-16, 07:21 AM
My theory is that Belkar will be alive well into the next arc.

Roy knows Belkar is doomed and that is a plot point right there. If belkar died before Roy's return it would make that scene pointless.

WoDHells
2009-01-16, 07:35 AM
My belief is that the thieve's guild girl with the funny haircut (I forgot her name now) is the one who is going to finally get him. This is because of the "never going to happen" Belkar told her when she attacked him. Mind you, Belkar is my favourite character, but that's how I feel he's going to die.

Assassin89
2009-01-16, 08:44 AM
My belief is that the thieve's guild girl with the funny haircut (I forgot her name now) is the one who is going to finally get him. This is because of the "never going to happen" Belkar told her when she attacked him. Mind you, Belkar is my favourite character, but that's how I feel he's going to die.

Was her IQ negative? Because if so, you are talking about Crystal.

WoDHells
2009-01-16, 08:54 AM
Yes, that's her.
:smallbiggrin:

[TS] Shadow
2009-01-18, 01:57 PM
The story arc we are in now is a transition story arc, similar to No Cure for the Paladin Blues. That means a lot of exposition, enabling, and character development, and a lack of main character deaths. Belkar will probably die somewhere into our next arc.

Moff Chumley
2009-01-18, 02:02 PM
I think The Giant knows how much of his readership he'd lose if he killed Belkar.I wouldn't put it past him, but all I'm saying is, the first people think of when they think OotS is Belkar.

WoDHells
2009-01-18, 02:48 PM
Well, Roy died and that didn't prevent him from appearing in the comic...

Personally, I'd love to see Belkar in the Chaotic-Evil afterlife, see how he does..
:smallbiggrin:

Ceaon
2009-01-18, 06:12 PM
I think The Giant knows how much of his readership he'd lose if he killed Belkar.I wouldn't put it past him, but all I'm saying is, the first people think of when they think OotS is Belkar.

Well, while some if indeed not most people think OotS is Belkar and then some other stuff, I'm fairly certain others will think of someone like Roy, Xykon or Elan first when they think about OotS.

Also, I think that Belkar will die if the amount of drama (or, less likely, the amount of funny) his death can create is high enough.

Boaromir
2009-01-20, 12:46 PM

Of all the implausible theories on the boards, this one is the best. Big ups to David.

Zandog
2009-01-20, 03:06 PM
The oracle says that Belkar will die within the year, and then he clarifies that it is an in-comic year, not a real-time year. Unless a great length of time is skipped in the up-coming comics, I would guess that Belkar has well over 100 strips before the prophecy occurs.
And did not they celebrate new-years in Azure city? So they have like, at least, 9 months of in-comic time.
Belkar will be around for awhile. Don't worry about it.

Ancalagon
2009-01-20, 04:25 PM
This is just a theory, but what if V kills "the halfling" and somehow gets his corpse animated?

Because of Quarr's influence and her disbelief that the party, and especially
Sir. Greenhilt, likes Belkar more then they like her, I find the possibility of her killing him and then reanimating him within the realms of possibility.

a) Everything but Belkar dies and dies permanently won't be "clean" enough for the plot. "Belkar dies" will mean "death, and nothing else". So far, Rich has not watered down his important plot-points (that's why Miko is and will stay dead). He won't start that with Belkar.

b) Belkar won't die until "the comic is near it's end". If Belkar dies, it'll be permanent, the character will be removed from the plot. That won't happen until the plot is nearing its end, its climax.

Lykainon
2009-01-20, 04:43 PM
The oracle says that Belkar will die within the year, and then he clarifies that it is an in-comic year, not a real-time year. Unless a great length of time is skipped in the up-coming comics, I would guess that Belkar has well over 100 strips before the prophecy occurs.

While I doubt Belkar will die anytime soon, "within the year" could mean ten minutes after the prophecy was made.

David Argall
2009-01-20, 06:46 PM
And did not they celebrate new-years in Azure city? So they have like, at least, 9 months of in-comic time.

If the Oracle was using the Southern Calendar, which seems likely, the current date is at least October, and could be December.
The city falls about January 15. Mrs Kato gets pregnant about March 15. She later talks of 6 months of hemmroids. and Durkon talks of V being annoying for 6 months. So great masses of the year has passed.

Since we have seen 60 strips pass in a day, and months pass in one strip, any number is possible, but on the available evidence, Belkar is quite unlikely to reach another hundred.

[TS] Shadow
2009-01-21, 07:01 PM
If the Oracle was using the Southern Calendar, which seems likely, the current date is at least October, and could be December.
The city falls about January 15. Mrs Kato gets pregnant about March 15. She later talks of 6 months of hemmroids. and Durkon talks of V being annoying for 6 months. So great masses of the year has passed.

Since we have seen 60 strips pass in a day, and months pass in one strip, any number is possible, but on the available evidence, Belkar is quite unlikely to reach another hundred.

Not really. Your date math is right, as far as I can tell, but there are a lot of loose ends to tie up before the party gets back together (and I doubt that Belkar will die before that.) There's a good 50 strips of just accomplishing that task, which may only take a week or less in comic time. I'd say 70-100 strips of time before Belkar bites it, with 80-90 being most likely. (The sad thing is that he's probably only gonna be in about 50% of them. *sigh* I'll miss Death's Lil' Helper.)

Emilinah Adams
2009-01-25, 03:56 PM
I loved : Welcome to the village of - LICKMYORANGEBALLSHAFLING
Founded: Last week Pop: Just enough
"No, seriously give them a good once over!"

Belkar might have had a temporary character changing dream but his true nature will likely shine through at some point or another. Belkar will get himself killed sooner or later and we can get some strips in the evil afterlife. :smallsmile: Its not like death is perminate. Look at Roy.