PDA

View Full Version : Role-playing games well suited for PbP?

Kensen
2009-01-14, 01:46 AM
I guess most people here are D&D players, but many of you also play other RPGs. I've played in a number of PbP games here and elsewhere, and I've noticed D&D has some aspects that make it challenging to play by post, namely its reliance on miniatures and battle maps, and the fact that combat slows down the game considerably.

Now, I'd like to hear your opinions on what RPGs you think lend themselves particularly well to PbP. Please, also tell me why you think the game is well suited for PbP.

Cheers :smallsmile:

Dairun Cates
2009-01-14, 01:47 AM
I guess most people here are D&D players, but many of you also play other RPGs. I've played in a number of PbP games here and elsewhere, and I've noticed D&D has some aspects that make it challenging to play by post, namely its reliance on miniatures and battle maps, and the fact that combat slows down the game considerably.

Now, I'd like to hear your opinions on what RPGs you think lend themselves particularly well to PbP. Please, also tell me why you think the game is well suited for PbP.

Cheers :smallsmile:

Risus. But that's not fair. Risus is appropriate for everything.

Also, it's 100% Freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Satyr
2009-01-14, 01:57 AM
Most games that focus on the narrative instead of the martial components - work well in the mostly descriptive environment of a PbP game; the problems you describe are foremost a problem of gaming style, not the system. What you are probably looking for is a game style where the focus is not mostly on a mechanical solution, but on a descriptive and/or narrative one. Theoretically, this is possible with every RPG, but not all games suppport this equally well.
Also not really recommendable for a PbP games are those with a very strong emphasis on the creation of emotion, like Call of Cthulluh, because many of the atmosphere-creating means and tricks are not available in the PbP format, which somewhat makes the game much duller than in a real world group.

Eldan
2009-01-14, 03:16 AM
For some reason, I always thought the most enjoyable games here on these boards where the nation games/god games, where players take control over entire nations or play gods, guiding the course of an entire world. It is often more strategy game than roleplaying game, but it works really well. It also would probably never work in real life like that, because it was more or less specifically made for the PbP environment.

Grail
2009-01-14, 03:17 AM
Anything rules lite.

Dragon Warriors
Maelstrom
Microlite20
Zero
Palladium System
Over the Edge
Tunnels and Trolls

all spring to mind.

potatocubed
2009-01-14, 07:37 AM
I think Burning Empires has potential. I'm running a PbP of it at the moment, so ask me again in six months and I'll tell you if it works out. It has a complex system, but the structure of the game lends itself to PbPing in several areas that D&D doesn't.

I also think Nobilis has strong potential since it's almost wholly narrative and has a very straightforward game system. I've tried to run Nobilis on these boards before and failed, but that was my fault. Stupid attention spa

Egiam
2009-01-14, 07:42 PM
I second Risus. Heck, if any of you guys decide to run one PM me. I might do one eventually too.

Bosaxon
2009-01-14, 08:11 PM
Spirit of the Century. No need for maps, no need for anything except description and 4 rolls of d6 per action.

BRC
2009-01-14, 08:24 PM
Paranoia. Contacting the GM/other players secretly is a big part of the game, usually done by passing notes, but even that alerts the other players that something is up. With PM's, you don't have to worry about that.
The following post section requires GREEN clearance to read. Reading the following section without GREEN clearance or above is Treason.
Also, because much of the game is based around the narrative and absurdity of the setting, you don't really lose anything by toning down the pace the way you do with DnD. Also, because with all the backstabbing and the like in Paranoia, railroading is nigh-impossible, its good to give the GM some time to think up something interesting to happen because the team just killed each other. Also, because the players arn't supposed to know the rules anyway, only the GM needs a rulebook, and those rules are just suggestions anyway.

Swooper
2009-01-14, 09:01 PM
I'll add Houses of the Blooded to the list of narrative focused games. I've never tried it in PbP though, but I think it might be awesome.

LibraryOgre
2009-01-14, 09:19 PM
Ars Magica works very well. The troupe nature of play means everyone can get involved in every story (taking on grogs if none of their "cast" characters fit), and the homework lab stuff can be done really well through e-mail.

Prometheus
2009-01-14, 11:48 PM
I second Nobilis. It is a lot of RP, doesn't have a clear turn order, and requires the rolling of no dice. I haven't done it myself, but I skimmed over quite a few successful ones when I was learning the game.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-01-14, 11:56 PM
Well, several of us here at GitP tried to make a game system specifically designed for PbP, codenamed: PostHaste. It fell through, however, during Playtest.

BobVosh
2009-01-15, 12:40 AM
Paranoia. Contacting the GM/other players secretly is a big part of the game, usually done by passing notes, but even that alerts the other players that something is up. With PM's, you don't have to worry about that.
The following post section requires GREEN clearance to read. Reading the following section without GREEN clearance or above is Treason.
Also, because much of the game is based around the narrative and absurdity of the setting, you don't really lose anything by toning down the pace the way you do with DnD. Also, because with all the backstabbing and the like in Paranoia, railroading is nigh-impossible, its good to give the GM some time to think up something interesting to happen because the team just killed each other. Also, because the players arn't supposed to know the rules anyway, only the GM needs a rulebook, and those rules are just suggestions anyway.

I completely disagree, unless you are playing a very hardcore straight game. So much of the game requires the fast pace action. The game is not meant to be slow well thought out actions, but quick reflexive actions that are follow by punishment preferrably brought upon by the other players. I am very fond of the suggestion that the book gives of too long to think of an action means the character is too overwhelmed to react. I mainly play classic. I can't imagine Zap in a PbP.

I would like to throw Serenity out there as a possibility.