PDA

View Full Version : Non-magical "Head Lamp"

Kesnit
2009-01-14, 07:29 AM
My PnP Dragonlance campaign ran into an interesting problem last night. While exploring a cave, we realized that, while the Elf Ranger and Human Wizard can see in the dark, the Kender Rogue (me) and the Human Monk cannot. (The Wizard can because of a DM "gift" for passing his Test of High Sorcery. His left eye was replaced by a gem, the full abilities of which only the DM knows.)

The Ranger's player joked we should get headlamps like miners wear. I could get by with a stone that someone cast Continuous Light on attached to a headband, but the Monk has Vow of Poverty, so can't wear magical items. I joked we could just attach a candle to a leather cap (so he doesn't catch his hair on fire), but this is obviously not a great idea.

Is there anything else we could get for the Monk that would allow him to see in the Dark without breaking his vow?

Grail
2009-01-14, 07:32 AM
a Torch and flint&steel

Heliomance
2009-01-14, 07:34 AM
Grapple/knock out the monk, then attach the stone of continual light to his forehead securely enough that he is unable to remove it and thus cannot be blamed for carrying it.

Khatoblepas
2009-01-14, 07:38 AM
Get the wizard to summon up a Lantern Archon, who then casts Continual Light on the monk's hatstone. It's free. It's given by a creature of pure goodness. And continual light is a spell effect, right? It's not a magical item, it's just a stone with a permanent spell on it.

After all, you shouldn't penalise the poor monk if he's benefiting from spells. Poverty doesn't mean no spell effects that you got for free, since that's silly. :P

(The Torch of Continual Light in the PHB is actually the cost of a mundane torch + the cost of the material components of the spell. It's not a magical item. A stone (free), plus the material components the Lantern Archon uses (0gp) is 0gp in total. THe monk is allowed it.)

kamikasei
2009-01-14, 07:42 AM
Would a torch or a lantern be too expensive?

Grail
2009-01-14, 07:47 AM
a torch is 1cp

Kesnit
2009-01-14, 07:53 AM
a Torch and flint&steel

Although he fights unarmed (so doesn't need a free hand), the idea is to have something that leaves his hands free. Sorry for the confusion. (We have a lantern, which just sits on the ground and provides an area of light, but want something a little more portable.)

Grail
2009-01-14, 07:56 AM
sounds like a job for some sovereign glue

Grail
2009-01-14, 08:00 AM
Just re-reading the vow, there is nothing that precludes getting Dark Vision cast with Permanency on him. So if the rest of the group want to kick in the jink, he can be Povo-Monk of the Night.

Kesnit
2009-01-14, 08:34 AM
Just re-reading the vow, there is nothing that precludes getting Dark Vision cast with Permanency on him. So if the rest of the group want to kick in the jink, he can be Povo-Monk of the Night.

Hmm... Now that's an idea... (grabbing calculator) Not too expensive...

I like! :smallbiggrin:

kjones
2009-01-14, 09:09 AM
Hackmaster had a hat with a socket in it where you could put a torch... just don't combine this with the Flatulence flaw.

BobVosh
2009-01-14, 09:29 AM
Hmm... Now that's an idea... (grabbing calculator) Not too expensive...

I like! :smallbiggrin:

I vote ebon eyes...Shorter distance, but gets through those annoying darkness spells as well

Hal
2009-01-14, 09:49 AM
Also, Sunrods are alchemical, not magical, so those should be okay. (Unless VoP doesn't allow alchemy, either. I've never picked up BoED, so I don't know what VoP specifies.)

I'd just ask if he could tuck a sunrod into his belt (say, in an empty scabbard). Not exactly RAW, but I see no reason why that would be broken in any way.

caden_varn
2009-01-14, 10:29 AM
Do both the monk and kender need separate items? If the kender gets a continual light headbad, surely the monk can use the light from that too.

Or you could set him on fire.

Epinephrine
2009-01-14, 10:48 AM
2 Levels of the Ruathar PrC (becoming an elf-friend, RotW) would give low-light vision, one level of Dungeon Delver (C.Adv.), or two levels of Shadow Dancer (DMG, with the handy supernatural Hide in Plain Sight) or Dark Hunter (C.War.) grant darkvision.

Going with a class or template has the advantage of definitely being 100% in the spirit of the VoP, and probably doesn't affect things much for a monk, since he doesn't need every single class level. Our DM allows retraining of feats etc., so it'd be easy for a monk to qualify for something like Shadow Dancer (dodge, mobility, combat reflexes) as the Cobra Strike monk variant from Unearthed Arcana gets Dodge, Mobility, and Spring Attack as feats, and the shadow dancer isn't a bad style to add to a monk's abilities.

If you are hurting for class levels, see whether you can get a "practiced spellcaster" variant that boosts your effective monk level by 4, up to your level.

Canadian
2009-01-14, 10:50 AM
Cast continual light on a piece of poop and give it to him. Nothing is more worthless than poop. A poor man can have lots of poop and still be poor. Unless it's enough to be a manure pile. Then he could sell it to farmers for fertilizer. But a little poop is always worthless.

It costs even less than the 1 copper piece torch. Fits in with the poverty theme. The smell will make him seem even more homeless than ever. It's like +1 to poverty. He'll never get a job or apartment smelling like that.

That's my poverty headlamp idea...

koldstare
2009-01-14, 11:05 AM
Cast continual light on a piece of poop and give it to him

Hey don't forget poop is flammable. After the duration of the spell expires he can just set it on fire and voila more light.

Telonius
2009-01-14, 11:06 AM
Let him retrain a feat (or wait a level) to get Nimbus of Light. It's an Exalted Feat. I did the VoP Monk thing when it first came out, and found out that I quickly ran out of useful Monk feats. (I was playing a lesser Drow, so vision wasn't a problem). In fact, one of my complaints to the DM was that, "The only thing left is the one that lets me glow in the dark!" He eventually let me take regular feats in place of Exalted ones, but I hope my misfortune can be your gain. :smallsmile:

Kesnit
2009-01-14, 12:01 PM
Do both the monk and kender need separate items? If the kender gets a continual light headbad, surely the monk can use the light from that too.

Possible, but unless they were facing they same direction, it wouldn't do the Monk much good. (Headband only points in one direction.)

Or you could set him on fire.

Set the Monk or the Kender on fire? :smalleek:

2 Levels of the Ruathar PrC (becoming an elf-friend, RotW) would give low-light vision, one level of Dungeon Delver (C.Adv.), or two levels of Shadow Dancer (DMG, with the handy supernatural Hide in Plain Sight) or Dark Hunter (C.War.) grant darkvision.

He's only LVL 4 (maybe 5, but I think 4), so it will be a while before he could get a PrC. (The Kender and the Ranger are LVL 6. The Wizard is LVL 5. I should have mentioned level before. Sorry.)

Let him retrain a feat (or wait a level) to get Nimbus of Light. It's an Exalted Feat. I did the VoP Monk thing when it first came out, and found out that I quickly ran out of useful Monk feats. (I was playing a lesser Drow, so vision wasn't a problem). In fact, one of my complaints to the DM was that, "The only thing left is the one that lets me glow in the dark!" He eventually let me take regular feats in place of Exalted ones, but I hope my misfortune can be your gain. :smallsmile:

As I said above, he's only LVL 4, so doesn't have a lot of Exalted feats to swap out. (The one I know he has, Touch of Golden Ice, he is in love with and I know he won't give it up. Also, it helps the party by lowering monster AC through lowering DEX.) That is something to consider when he hits LVL 6, though. (Not sure if he has another feat in mind.)

Artanis
2009-01-14, 02:32 PM
Set the Monk or the Kender on fire? :smalleek:
Yes :smallbiggrin:

Fax Celestis
2009-01-14, 02:39 PM
I thought VoP granted extra forms of sight already...?

EDIT: *checks* Huh, guess not.

Roderick_BR
2009-01-14, 02:47 PM
After all, you shouldn't penalise the poor monk if he's benefiting from spells. Poverty doesn't mean no spell effects that you got for free, since that's silly. :P
Actually, I think the book do say that you can receive spells and/or low cost stuff from allies, like receiving buffing spells, or the day's rations. Having a mundane item enchanted with a spell is within his limits, it is not really a magic item.

BRC
2009-01-14, 02:52 PM
Light your enemies on fire.

Kesnit
2009-01-14, 02:56 PM
Light your enemies on fire.

LOL! Well, the Wizard does want to go Elemental Savant (Fire). But he isn't there yet. Also, at the moment, the "cave" we are in is actually made of the roots and vines of a very large tree. Setting enemies on fire would (according to the DM) set the whole place on fire and probably kill us. :smallfrown:

BRC
2009-01-14, 02:59 PM
LOL! Well, the Wizard does want to go Elemental Savant (Fire). But he isn't there yet. Also, at the moment, the "cave" we are in is actually made of the roots and vines of a very large tree. Setting enemies on fire would (according to the DM) set the whole place on fire and probably kill us. :smallfrown:
Then leave the cave, chuck a fireball in there, then chill while your enemies roast. Once the screaming stops, head in there ,kill the survivors, and congradualte yourself on a job, if you will pardon my pun, well done.

AmberVael
2009-01-14, 03:02 PM

Unless this is a dead tree, I call BS. Seriously, if it is a tree that big, and it is still alive, I really doubt a few little fire spells could ignite it and kill you all. Brief flashes of flame- unless they're really hot (you're level 4, so they AREN'T really hot)- will not set a tree larger than a redwood tree on fire.

Darth Stabber
2009-01-14, 03:04 PM
^I love that plan, So deliciously evil.

only1doug
2009-01-14, 03:32 PM
Actually, I think the book do say that you can receive spells and/or low cost stuff from allies, like receiving buffing spells, or the day's rations. Having a mundane item enchanted with a spell is within his limits, it is not really a magic item.

As there is a listed magic item that is effectively something that has received a continual flame spell you may find it hard to convince a GM of your argument.

As others have said, the monk can follow the kender and benefit from his light.

Fhaolan
2009-01-14, 03:36 PM
In RL miners did indeed have candle-based headlamps. The hat I've seen is from the 1800's and looks pretty much like a modern baseball cap with a bent mental plate on the brim that the candle is stuck to with a spike.

At this time the miners didn't wear hardhats and the like. That's a more modern safety feature. :)

Tacoma
2009-01-14, 03:37 PM
Everyone in the party needs a helmet that has a lantern built into it. Instant 360° light at pretty good range. So long as the Monk doesn't stray too far he'll be fine. Have the wick for the lantern follow a metal tube down the wearer's back into a screw-on metal flask of lamp oil to keep the center of weight way down and prevent sloshing.

Leewei
2009-01-14, 04:17 PM
Have any other PC carry an item that sheds light. When the monk has the feats for it, suggest he get Blind-fight and then get the Blindsight 5'.

Prometheus
2009-01-14, 04:42 PM
Polymorph him into a deep sea angler fish (http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/staticfiles/NGS/Shared/StaticFiles/animals/images/primary/anglerfish.jpg)?

Telonius
2009-01-14, 04:49 PM
Well, VoP does allow him to survive without breathing at a certain level. So I guess it'd allow a (polymorphed) fish to live on land without suffocating.

Tacoma
2009-01-14, 04:55 PM
He could pick up "Vow of Suffering" ... does that exist yet?

Could be something the clerics of Illmater like. Not the Lankhmar Illmater from which Forgotten Realms took the name, or the Lankhmar Issek of the Jug from whom they stole the Illmater dogma. I mean the Forgotten Realms Illmater, god of suffering. End of side rant.

Point is, he has to survive as a fish on land ... that's a lot of suffering ...

Canadian
2009-01-14, 06:06 PM
The only thing poorer than no money is negative money.

He should be able to buy things "on credit" so he owes money. As the interest piles up he'll become more poor every day. Collection agencies will call harassing him. His war pony will get taken by the repo man. His credit cards will get cancelled.

I say if he gets to buy it on credit he should be able to have anything he wants. It just increases his level of poverty. Until he goes bankrupt. Then it starts all over again.

Tacoma
2009-01-14, 06:09 PM
The only thing poorer than no money is negative money.

He should be able to buy things "on credit" so he owes money. As the interest piles up he'll become more poor every day. Collection agencies will call harassing him. His war pony will get taken by the repo man. His credit cards will get cancelled.

I say if he gets to buy it on credit he should be able to have anything he wants. It just increases his level of poverty. Until he goes bankrupt. Then it starts all over again.

This just supports my claims that Canadians are the most magical people in the world. I never thought of a VoP character being able to use anything he wants by virtue of the second-oldest profession in the world - usury. This is beautiful. Is best song played on prettiest guitar.

Magnor Criol
2009-01-14, 06:18 PM
VoP doesn't really bar people from borrowing, right? So the stone belongs to the party wizard. While they're in the dungeon, however, he lets the monk borrow the stone. Then when they leave, the monk returns the stone to its owner.

Honestly, as a DM I think I'd rule that the light-stone wouldn't violate VoP. It's just a simple stone with Continual Light cast on it tied around his head. It doesn't really violate the intent of such a vow, in my opinion - I don't think any reasonable god who grants powers to a follower for their vow would object - and gamewise, it lets the monk keep playing with the rest of the party.

Triaxx
2009-01-14, 07:15 PM
One gallon lamp oil + one ten-foot pole + one length metal cable + one kender = one portable lantern. :smallbiggrin:

How about the old-standby: Potion of Infravision. Any wizard worth his robes should be able to whip one up.

Tacoma
2009-01-14, 07:20 PM
VoP doesn't really bar people from borrowing, right? So the stone belongs to the party wizard. While they're in the dungeon, however, he lets the monk borrow the stone. Then when they leave, the monk returns the stone to its owner.

Honestly, as a DM I think I'd rule that the light-stone wouldn't violate VoP. It's just a simple stone with Continual Light cast on it tied around his head. It doesn't really violate the intent of such a vow, in my opinion - I don't think any reasonable god who grants powers to a follower for their vow would object - and gamewise, it lets the monk keep playing with the rest of the party.

But it's also about what the monk feels and thinks. Does he think he should carry the magic light rock? Maybe it shows more discipline to scrabble around in the dark once in a while.

Canadian
2009-01-14, 07:22 PM
Borrowing things should be fine. I know a lot of poor people who use the library because they can't afford to buy books. I don't think having a library card makes you a "richer" person. A homeless person sleeping in a shelter has a bed for the night but they don't own the bed. It is simply on loan to them for an evening. They're just as poor as ever.

Basically if you don't own and item it does not increase your wealth. Therefore you're still poor.

Tacoma
2009-01-14, 07:28 PM
That's cool when we're talking about low-power stuff. What about a Ring of Protection?

I know the DM can and should use discretion in this. But if it's not okay to outright own the rock, why is it okay to just borrow it but have the use of it whenever you want?

The library card thing kind of illustrates this. If you rented a DVD and bought a used book every week, let's say you'd spend $10 a week. But borrowing from the library is free (so long as you return it on time). Using the library you saved yourself about $500 a year. Effectively you gain that value - either you got the value for free or saved yourself that money to spend on something else.

Honestly I'd say it's okay to just own the rock because the party could just cast Continual Light on him and that would be kosher.

How does VoP work with something like a magical tattoo that has the effect of wearing a magic item? For example a tattoo on your wrists that takes up your Bracers space and gives +5 Armor bonus? Seems to me that would cost just as much as a regular pair of Bracers of Armor +5. On one hand you can't be deprived of the item yet you can't sell them to upgrade - at best you can flay the skin off, Regenerate, and get a new wrists tattoo. But all that violates the spirit of VoP.

Keld Denar
2009-01-14, 08:48 PM
Immolate yourself...

Seriously. Most fire damage is save for half. Since monks have evasion, they save for 0.

Then again, there isn't a save against immolation by flask of oil, once you do catch fire. Doh.

Regardless, it would make a point. If you doubt me, look up that kid in Prague that doused himself in oil and immolated himself in the middle of a city square to protest communism. Unless the point is not to make a point, but to see in the dark. Hmmmm.

[/streamofconsiousness]

ericgrau
2009-01-14, 09:34 PM
Darkvision has a long duration. Screw the dispellable and high xp cost permanency. Just have the caster pop him with a darkvision every day.

Wait a second... he's a VOP monk? I'm starting to like the idea of lighting him on fire better.

metagaia
2009-01-14, 09:43 PM
BoED is pretty explicit about borrowing: (page 48)

You may not, however, “borrow” a cloak of resistance or any other magic item from a companion for even a single round
That means no rock with continual flame for certain. A normal rock with light cast on it probably works, since that is no different than casting a spell on the monk.

Is there anykind of eye graft you can get from something like Libris Mortis? I remember somethng like that in there but can't be bothered to dig it out.

Canadian
2009-01-14, 09:47 PM
Well at least you can borrow normal items like a torch. Or a flaming poop hat!

Kesnit
2009-01-14, 09:50 PM
Darkvision has a long duration. Screw the dispellable and high xp cost permanency. Just have the caster pop him with a darkvision every day.

Caster doesn't have the spell. Even if he did, it would only last 4 hours.

Asbestos
2009-01-14, 09:53 PM
Is there something wrong with just sticking a candle to your hat?

http://www.pasty.com/cam/2005/b1030a.jpg

Not that hard, don't need grafts or anything crazy like that. It can be equally freaky though... don't stick too many up there.

http://images.burningman.com/gallery/frazierb.2069.jpg

*shudder*

Canadian
2009-01-14, 09:56 PM
If someone sings "Happy Birthday" they might blow it out.

metagaia
2009-01-14, 09:58 PM
Not that hard, don't need grafts or anything crazy like that. Or does the terribly cheap candle violate the VoP?

Mmm, possibly, here is a list of the things you are allowed:
ordinary simple weapon
simple clothes (hat is possible, though hat with candle is pushing it)
one day's food
sack or bag
spell component pouch.

That is all.

Canadian
2009-01-14, 10:00 PM
If you sharpen one end of the candle can it be counted as your weapon?

Kesnit
2009-01-14, 10:02 PM
Is there something wrong with just sticking a candle to your hat?

http://www.pasty.com/cam/2005/b1030a.jpg

First, that picture is just weird... :smallbiggrin:

Sticking a candle to his hat was the first option we came up with, and it is one that would, in theory, work. I just don't know how well it would work once he starts Tumbling around. :smalleek:

Canadian
2009-01-14, 10:04 PM
Stop, Drop, and Roll would probably put the candle out.

metagaia
2009-01-14, 10:05 PM
If you sharpen one end of the candle can it be counted as your weapon?

Candle:
A candle counts as an improvised light weapon that can be thrown (10' range increment). Damage is 1d3 piercing if candle is sharpened or 1d2 blunt if candle is not. If candle is lit then it also deals 1 point of fire damage from the dripping wax, unless you're enemy is into that kinky stuff, in which case the user is recommended to back slowly away...

Waspinator
2009-01-15, 12:21 AM
Wait, your original post implies that elves can see in the dark. Don't they only have low-light vision, which allows you to see farther in dim light but does not help in total darkness?

Randel
2009-01-15, 03:27 AM
A few solutions:

1) the monk can use some of his daily gruel to attract fireflies and then slowly study and train them until they no longer fear him and in fact seek him out. Once he learns the secret firefly language though deep spiritual examination then he can call upon his newfound insect friends to illuminate his way in the darkness.

2) Instead of bothering with light, he puts on a blindfold and learns to sense objects by emiting high-pitched noises and hearing the echo the sounds emit. That way he will not only be able to see in the dark but he can get the drop on those puny enemies who need that silly light to see... unless of course they can hear him squeaking in which case might find him really quick.

3) He gathers some bioilluminecent moss from the walls of the next cave the party travels through, then he soaks his tattered rags in water and rubs the moss on his clothes. With proper care, the moss will grow into his raggity robes and give off some illumination to help him see. It will also be a great conversation piece when he walks into town with glowing moss growing out of his clothes. If he grows his hair long, he might even try getting moss to grow there in case he ever has to wash his rags.

4) he makes a hat out of some sort of radioactive isotope, since it not magical (and potentially deadly which would drop its worth to something like "I'll pay people to get that horrible thing away from my family!") then it shouldn't be a problem for his vow of poverty, though it might cause problems with the health and well-being of everyone around him.

5) He works on becoming the parties 'idea man' so that whenever they enter a dark area he can say "Hey, I just got a great idea!" thereby causing a little candle to appear over his head which he can use to see.

6) He takes up smoking, using the little flame to provide light. Alternativly, takes up drinking enough that his breath becomes flammable enough catch fire.

Wizard: Let me get this straight, you've dedicated yourself to a life of poverty... and decided to become a drunken master?

Monk: Yessir... *urp!* I coma from a loooong line of marshal artists...

Fighter: Man, thats messed up... I always thought that iheros were supposed to give there money to the poor, not spend it all on cheap ale and vodka.

Monk: Yer not the bossa me! *takes a swing at him*

Rogue: Shush! I think someones coming, put those torches away.

Monk: I donneda torch! I got this... (takes a deep breath) *BuUURP!* (big ball of flame shoots out of his mouth, illuminating the cave. A pair of orc scouts see the fireball appear and vanish)

Orcs: Gah, what was that?

Wizard: (failing a bluff check) Eh, swamp gas?

Keld Denar
2009-01-15, 04:53 AM
4) he makes a hat out of some sort of radioactive isotope, since it not magical (and potentially deadly which would drop its worth to something like "I'll pay people to get that horrible thing away from my family!") then it shouldn't be a problem for his vow of poverty, though it might cause problems with the health and well-being of everyone around him.

Good thing monks are immune to disease. Cancer is, after all, a disease, right? Marie Curie should have been a monk. Silly girl.

Waspinator
2009-01-15, 05:04 AM
How about just casting the light spell on the guy's head? Does vow of poverty allow you to become a magical object? :smallamused:

Ravens_cry
2009-01-15, 05:30 AM
Unless the monks head was detached from the body, it doesn't count as an object.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/light.htm
Isn't there a spell that uses candle stubs as a spell component?

Heliomance
2009-01-15, 07:09 AM
I still say you should just do continual flame on a stone and then sovereign glue it to his forehead while he's asleep. He can't lose the benefits for something he can do nothing about, and because of the "no borrowing a magic item for even a round" clause, he can't even get hold of some universal solvent to get it off!

metagaia
2009-01-15, 07:14 AM
I still say you should just do continual flame on a stone and then sovereign glue it to his forehead while he's asleep. He can't lose the benefits for something he can do nothing about, and because of the "no borrowing a magic item for even a round" clause, he can't even get hold of some universal solvent to get it off!

depends on the DM really. I dislike VoP, so I tend to be quite harsh. In this instance I would determine he has broken his vows, though non-intentionally. Therefore it can be fixed with a simple atonement spell without the XP cost, but he would still need the spell.

Kesnit
2009-01-15, 07:28 AM
Wait, your original post implies that elves can see in the dark. Don't they only have low-light vision, which allows you to see farther in dim light but does not help in total darkness?

In DragonLance, they have Darkvision.

A few solutions:

1) the monk can use some of his daily gruel to attract fireflies and then slowly study and train them until they no longer fear him and in fact seek him out. Once he learns the secret firefly language though deep spiritual examination then he can call upon his newfound insect friends to illuminate his way in the darkness.

(snicker-snort) I'll pass that on to the Monk's player. That seems right IC for him.

3) He gathers some bioilluminecent moss from the walls of the next cave the party travels through, then he soaks his tattered rags in water and rubs the moss on his clothes. With proper care, the moss will grow into his raggity robes and give off some illumination to help him see. It will also be a great conversation piece when he walks into town with glowing moss growing out of his clothes. If he grows his hair long, he might even try getting moss to grow there in case he ever has to wash his rags.

Uh, he isn't THAT into poverty... :smalleek:

That would be a major issue. Plus, there's always the possibility the Kender Rogue (who has sticky fingers) would wake up one morning and find the Monk's hat had "climbed into his (the Rogue's) backpack." :smallbiggrin:

6) He takes up smoking, using the little flame to provide light. Alternativly, takes up drinking enough that his breath becomes flammable enough catch fire.

I think he plans on taking the vow that doesn't let you drink.

He can hold/use something for 1 round. (Else how could we give him healing potions?) Not sure if that would be enough time to get the rock off, but it might. Esp with Monk speed bonuses. :smallbiggrin:

That's also rather outside the realm of the vow, and IC and OOC, the Monk wouldn't be very happy with us. Esp since the Ranger (and technically the Wizard) are Good, so should, in theory, be in support of the Exalted vow. (The Rogue is CN, though I'm letting him creep towards CG.)

Telonius
2009-01-15, 09:33 AM
Alternate solution!

Step one: Borrow a crippled street urchin.
Step two: Give the street urchin an everburning torch and promise him you'll teach him how to read if he comes with you. He can even eat the Monk's share of gruel.
Step three: Tell the Monk that somebody needs to carry the kid.

Ent
2009-01-15, 09:41 AM
Why does the monk need his hands free?

metagaia
2009-01-15, 09:42 AM
Aha, got one!

Step 1: Imagine that dragonlance is like dragonball z (similar name after all)
Step 2: Make sure your monk has stunning fist, and likes to scream it at the top of his lungs
Step 3: This will cause a blue energy glow to appear around his hand while he is using it
Step 4: Voila! You have a 1 round torch that you can use 5 times/day!

Kesnit
2009-01-15, 09:58 AM
Why does the monk need his hands free?

He doesn't, as such. But he needs something that won't affect tumbling.

Adumbration
2009-01-15, 10:22 AM
I can't believe no one has mentioned the feat Controlled Immolation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/spelltouchedFeats.htm#controlledImmolation). And since he's a VoP Monk, he can afford to run around naked and on fire.

Kesnit
2009-01-15, 11:01 AM
I can't believe no one has mentioned the feat Controlled Immolation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/spelltouchedFeats.htm#controlledImmolation). And since he's a VoP Monk, he can afford to run around naked and on fire.

ROFL! I love it. :smallbiggrin:

Voidhawk
2009-01-15, 12:17 PM
What happens if you just cast continual flame on the monk himself?

You could put it on just his nose, call him monk-dolf, and he could lead the slay...

man that joke was bad...

fusilier
2009-01-15, 04:41 PM
Well, I was going to say that miners used to wear candles on their head, but somebody already found a photo of it!

Watchmen would commonly suspend a lantern from their belts. This would be more protected in a fight than a candle on your head, but probably still suffer from the same problems if you are tumbling a lot. Possibly you could make rolls to see if it goes out from tumbling? Otherwise if you put the lantern down before going into battle it should cast enough light. A torch probably won't go out if you drop it on the ground either. Not before the fight is over anyway, and assuming you're not fighting in a puddle.

Canadian
2009-01-15, 05:34 PM
Why would a monk go into a cave if he's incapable of having a light source?

Wouldn't he also need vow of stupidity? I mean what does he hope to accomplish down there with no light?

Why would the monk even go on an adventure? It's the one activity where you're pretty much guaranteed to be confronted with enormous amounts of treasure.

What about all the stuff at the church? Why are they allowed to have books and pens and candles and spoons and bowls at the church? Churches are also pretty fancy. They usually have gold and icons and all kinds of decorative stuff. Shouldn't the monks give their church building away and live in the streets?

Ravens_cry
2009-01-15, 05:42 PM
Depends on the church.
A group of monks in what could be described as a hermit colony, wouldn't have a bunch of ' gold and icons and all kinds of decorative stuff', if any at all.