PDA

View Full Version : This is driving me crazy.

Samurai Jill
2009-01-14, 08:24 AM
Does this look like a mastodon to you?
http://www.record-eagle.com/local/images_sizedimage_248101744/xl
Another Stonehenge Discovered Under Lake Michigan? (http://io9.com/5130669/another-stonehenge-discovered-under-lake-michigan)

Tempest Fennac
2009-01-14, 08:28 AM
I can't see it that clearly without the red outline to be honest. Thanks for posting this information, though. :smallsmile:

Grail
2009-01-14, 08:30 AM
Only after it's been torn apart by the Cloverfield monster.

Solaris
2009-01-14, 08:53 AM
Yeah, I'm seeing Fuzzy Dumbo. Then again, I'm kinda a caveman with a gun (as are all the members of my unit), so maybe that'd explain it...

Telonius
2009-01-14, 09:07 AM
Looks like either a pretty good drawing of a mastodon or a pretty bad drawing of a horse. The "elephant ear" they have outlined in red could be the horse's hair if the artist didn't have a good sense of proportion.

Serpentine
2009-01-14, 09:37 AM
Innnnteresting if true.

@^ Actually, a horse would be much less likely than a mastodon, seeing as there is evidence of the latter not too far away from the site, whereas horses were only introduced into the Americas very recently.

dish
2009-01-14, 09:41 AM
It certainly could be...I can see it without the red outline, but it seems they're waiting for the experts to check it.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-01-14, 09:55 AM
Using the red-outline as a comparison, and flicking my poor, weak, weather-geek eyes between the two side-by side pictures, it could very well be a pacoderm of some sort.

Canadian
2009-01-14, 10:10 AM
It looks like an elephant. If you're thinking the whole thing is a hoax I'd say maybe. A good hoax would be above ground where you could open a theme park and give guided tours. A poor hoax would be underwater where nobody can charge money to see the stuff. Well, except that one rock.

Now if they could find an aquatic Chupacabra I'd come visit for sure!

Mauve Shirt
2009-01-14, 10:18 AM
It's really hard for me to see it without the red outline. Maybe if they took a picture from a different angle.

OverdrivePrime
2009-01-14, 10:33 AM
Woah! :smalleek:

Well, that's more awesome material for my Shadows of Brew City Shadowrun game. Too bad it's way up by Traverse City, Michigan.

And I'd say that the carving it definitely resembles a pachyderm of some sort. I'll be extremely interested in fortcoming information from this.

I got a chuckle out of this from the article in Traverse City's paper:
"They want to actually see it," he said. Unfortunately, he added, "Experts in petroglyphs generally don't dive, so we're running into a little bit of a stumbling block there."

Telonius
2009-01-14, 10:53 AM
It is pretty faint, but most 10,000+ year old carvings are pretty faint, especially if there's been much erosion involved. What says "possibly human-made" to me is the four (approximately) parallel lines. That kind of a gash isn't often made naturally.

Assuming it's not a modern-day hoax, there are a couple of possibilities that come to my mind. First, change in lake levels over thousands of years. Second, maybe people put the thing on top of the glacier before it melted. Third, how big is this thing, and how big were the lake-faring boats that the Native Americans had? It's possible some Native Americans were transporting it across the water, and the boat sunk in a storm, they threw it in, etc.

Serpentine
2009-01-14, 11:04 AM
What says "possibly human-made" to me is the four (approximately) parallel lines. That kind of a gash isn't often made naturally.http://www.reformationtours.com/site/490868/uploaded/giantscauseway.jpg

Just sayin'.

I'm curious to see what comes of this, but I can't see too much to get me really excited yet.

dish
2009-01-14, 11:05 AM
@Telonius: according to the articles, they think the line of stones may have marked the shoreline of the lake at that period.

The Bushranger
2009-01-14, 11:46 AM
I can see it in the non-outlined pic, but it's fuzzy enough that I'd have to see it better to dismiss some sort of natural origin, four-lines or not.

Phaedra
2009-01-14, 11:56 AM
Hmmm, maybe. I can kinda see it in the original pic, but that might just be because I looked at the outlined pic first and so I'm expecting to see a mastodon. I'm not really convinced. It's quite easy to see a pattern in completely random lines.

Rettu Skcollob
2009-01-14, 12:08 PM
http://www.reformationtours.com/site/490868/uploaded/giantscauseway.jpg

Just sayin'.

You have squared me to death. I am dead now. Blarg.

I can't really get a good look at the picture on the other side, it would be better if the picture was facing the camera. It certainly looks interesting though.

Serpentine
2009-01-14, 12:22 PM
Who're you calling a square? :smallannoyed: :smalltongue:

I'd like to see a non-outlined front-on shot of it. I looked for other pictures, but the only clear one has the red outline.

OverdrivePrime
2009-01-14, 12:24 PM
http://www.reformationtours.com/site/490868/uploaded/giantscauseway.jpg

Just sayin'.

Right, right, but those linear definitions are particular to that type of rock. We don't really get anything like that naturally occurring in the geology of America's upper Midwest. Particularly not in granite, which is almost always very rough and jagged due to the differing crystalline configurations of its component minerals.

Even so, the gouges could possibly be naturally created by the rock being dragged against the edge of another very hard rock in a uniform direction.

But I'd rather believe that they were made by ancient people. Because that would be awesome. :smallbiggrin:

Quincunx
2009-01-14, 02:03 PM
Those are hexagons, darnit! Not "squared"!

To the right side of that picture and beyond that last projection of shoreline on that side is a boulder fallen from above which makes a terrific impromptu chair. I do have pictures of people lounging on that. I do not have pictures of B yoinking A's leather trenchcoat and leaping across the hexagons, heading for the cliffs, because I was laughing way too hard to focus.

Berserk Monk
2009-01-15, 10:17 AM
I can't really tell. If I could see it without the red outline, that would help. Personally, I don't think that's a mastodon.

Telonius
2009-01-15, 12:06 PM
Now that's odd. I knew those four lines were reminding me of something.

From Wikipedia's image of the Lascaux cave paintings in France:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/07/Lascaux2.jpg

Check out the parallel lines above the horse's head. Probably a coincidence, but weird regardless.

Arioch
2009-01-15, 12:47 PM
Innnnteresting if true.

@^ Actually, a horse would be much less likely than a mastodon, seeing as there is evidence of the latter not too far away from the site, whereas horses were only introduced into the Americas very recently.

Actually, the horse originated in North America, and migrated to Eurasia across a land bridge tens of millennia ago. It later became extinct in America, before being reintroduced by colonists. If you think about it, it makes much more sense for something like a horse to evolve in the wide, flat expanses of America than in Europe, where there is far less open land.

I still don't know if they'd be in petroglyphs, though. :smalltongue:

Linkavitch
2009-01-15, 03:21 PM
That's cool. Huh. Can see the elephant thingie in the un-redded picture.