PDA

View Full Version : Baldur's Gate Bhaalspawn Abilities

Diarmuid
2009-01-14, 10:57 AM
So we're starting up a new game, and the DM really liked the BGII computer game. He has been working diligently to convert the computer game to a 3.5 adventure for our group to run through.

My character is going to be the Bhaalspawn (a couple of us have a little familiarity with the game, but it was long enough ago for it to still be fun/interesting). I'm at work today, and have been unable to find a list of bonuses you get as the Bhaalspawn (possibly due to work firewall restricting most gaming/game-related websites).

So I'm looking for help in 2 ways.

1) Does anyone know of where I can find a list of the abilities granted to the Bhaalspawn
2) Where not obvious, what would be some decent suggestions for 3.5 variations on 2nd edition spells/abilities.

Bugbeartrap
2009-01-14, 12:03 PM
That's interesting cuz I was doing the same thing for my 3.5 group. "Alex is that you?" I already ran my party through Irenicus' Dungeon level one, but I started the party at level 10 so after they got bored with killling monsters (and there are lots of monsters to kill in BG2, you're DM may want to scale back on the encounters that arent very plot related), they teleported out, between the wizard and the travel domain cleric. *facepalm* don't let this happen to you. The most tragic part was they didn't even get to the second layer of the dungeon. I'd give you more detail, but I don't want to spoil anything you may have forgotten.

Back on topic, even a little template such as fiendish LA +2 ( or its more potent version, Half-fiend LA +4) scale with level and continue to stay useful. Your choice of template or race is going to depend on how much you wanted your... ahem... background to affect your character. Is it your main source of power? Is it just a little flavor? I was planning on going the route where it would be in the back of the players mind, hardly coming up, with only one evil Spell-like Ability, so they would only use it in the direst of emergencies, and at the price of some of their soul. I believe I'm going to make it an SLA with a polymorph affect into an evil outsider, but the PC loses control of the character for the duration of the spell, giving in to his murderous instict.

Diarmuid
2009-01-14, 12:12 PM
Nope, no Alex here.

The Bhaalspawn stuff is more just meant to be flavor, he doesnt want to penalize me by adding LA via templates. Were starting at ECL8 and we'll be waking up in the dungeon with Imoen and Minsc. (I remember the beginning more than anything else as I started the game a few times, and never got all that far into it.)

I remember the BS getting Cure Light Wounds a certain amount of times per day (probably based on level), as well as a couple of other spells that you could use. That's the list I was looking for. The DM has already pre-warned me about the whole polymoprh thing, so I know it's coming and will lose control that first time it happens.

So what I'm really looking for are those spells/SLA that the Bhaalspawn gets and the level progression. It's easy to convert spells that have direct/obvious ports to 3.5 (CLW = CLW) but if there are any abils that arent obvious (besides the strange polymorph/tenser's xformation thing) then suggestions for 3.5 equivs would be appreciated.

Mushroom Ninja
2009-01-14, 12:27 PM
By the end of BG1, you got:

Cure Light Wounds 2/day or if evil Lorachar's Minor Drain 2/day
Slow Poison 2/day or if evil Horror 2/day
Call on Holy Might (or something like that) 2/day or if evil Vampiric touch 2/day

If you were neutral, I think you got a random assortment.

I don't remember how the slayer abilities worked. I'll look them up later.

Kaiyanwang
2009-01-14, 12:27 PM
Dragon Magazine #288.

Starbuck_II
2009-01-14, 02:33 PM
Nope, no Alex here.

The Bhaalspawn stuff is more just meant to be flavor, he doesnt want to penalize me by adding LA via templates. Were starting at ECL8 and we'll be waking up in the dungeon with Imoen and Minsc. (I remember the beginning more than anything else as I started the game a few times, and never got all that far into it.)

I remember the BS getting Cure Light Wounds a certain amount of times per day (probably based on level), as well as a couple of other spells that you could use. That's the list I was looking for. The DM has already pre-warned me about the whole polymoprh thing, so I know it's coming and will lose control that first time it happens.

So what I'm really looking for are those spells/SLA that the Bhaalspawn gets and the level progression. It's easy to convert spells that have direct/obvious ports to 3.5 (CLW = CLW) but if there are any abils that arent obvious (besides the strange polymorph/tenser's xformation thing) then suggestions for 3.5 equivs would be appreciated.

our main character (Protagonist) starts the game with the special abilities
that he/she had in Baldur's Gate. THESE ARE NOT SET IN STONE. If you
created a new character from scratch these will be: (based on main
character's Alignment)

Lawful Good:
Cure Light Wounds 2
Slow Poison 2
Draw Upon Holy Might 2

Neutral Good:
Cure Light Wounds 2
Slow Poison 2
Draw Upon Holy Might 2

Chaotic Good:
Cure Light Wounds 2
Slow Poison 2
Draw Upon Holy Might 1
Vampiric Touch 1

Lawful Neutral:
Larloch's Minor Drain 2
Horror 1
Slow Poison 1
Draw Upon Holy Might 1
Vampiric Touch 1

(True) Neutral:
Cure Light Wounds 2
Horror 1
Slow Poison 1
Draw Upon Holy Might 2

Chaotic Neutral:

Cure Light Wounds 2
Horror 2
Draw Upon Holy Might 1
Vampiric Touch 1

Lawful Evil
Cure Light Wounds 1
Larloch's Minor Drain 1
Horror 1
Slow Poison 1
Draw Upon Holy Might 1
Vampiric Touch 1

Neutral Evil:
Larloch's Minor Drain 2
Horror 1
Slow Poison 1
Draw Upon Holy Might 1
Vampiric Touch 1

Chaotic Evil:

Larloch's Minor... 2
Horror 2
Vampiric Touch 2

That is from gamefaqs:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/file/258273/34147

Now that covers protagonists bhaalspawn:
NPCS had
a. Balthazar: immunity to timestop (only ability I know he has)
b. some guy can teleport when afraid
c. Yaga Shura was immortal till destroyed his heart (but that seems more from the magic ritual than bhallspawn specific)
d. Imeon had Cure Critical Wound (late in TOB)

Diarmuid
2009-01-14, 04:05 PM
Wow, great list...thanks much. Found a "copy" of Dragon 288 and found the list there. I'm guessing my DM may want to tone that down a little bit, but it will, at the very least, be a good frame of reference.