PDA

View Full Version : [Class] A project I'm working on (Incomplete)

I_Got_This_Name
2006-10-06, 10:47 PM
Alright. I got Tome of Magic a while back, and really liked Pact Magic. I like it's feel, that magic comes from otherworldly, unknowable beings, and that you have to give something up, even if it's just falling under the influence of a being and displaying its sign, to use magic.

So, I've decided to try to write a more complete, magical class based on it; a wizard-like character that summons extraplanar things and bargains with them for spells.

Balance-wise, I think that this class should, in a perfect world, be slightly more powerful than a wizard (a few more spell slots, and a wider spell list). It makes up for this with limitations (influences, codes of conduct, and the like), costs to summon some beings, and having to make a check to summon a being and prepare spells from it, with a failed check leading to having to waste a spell slot.

Right now, I have the first few levels of its class features written, and all of the groundwork laid. Now I have to go through the Vestiges (Going alphabetically, I'm working on Buer right now) and find associated spell lists for them.

Then I have to invent other beings to summon for this (I don't want this class to be restricted to Vestiges), come up with a better name (I currently have Spirit Adept as a working title), and come up with a term for the beings that you summon, as a whole. I'm thinking of including Spirits, Outsiders, Vestiges, and possibly even specific powerful Ghosts among the things you can summon.

So, any suggestions on how to go about this? Spells that should go on the lists for specific Vestiges? Ideas for better names?

SmileyX
2006-10-19, 12:21 AM
Oooooh something interesting you might want to try is being able to get spells from the avatars of dieties(although might not work to well) or be able to summon them at higher lvls, also maybe demon pacts. Oh all of this stuff arent vestiges, hope thats ok. Maybe also something nature oriented like being able to summon a pack of dire wolves led by a maxed out one. If not for anything else its cool espicially if you make the summoning process and the portal thingie cool(maybe a 'phantom' woods appears and the pack sort of phase into the material world and surrounds the summoner waiting for orders). Also elemental lords would be good. And sorry i dont have any ideas for spells, but you could try to do spells around those ideas. Maybe make them able to do big summons for multiple spell slots at once? OOOH a good joke would be the muffin man(maybe make him a angry ghost after the ginger bread man's life....) =D.

Fax Celestis
2006-10-19, 12:58 AM
Spell lists should indeed be linked to the vestiges, and your Casterbinder should be a spontaneous caster, probably Charisma-based.

Or, you could go with a Divine Casterbinder and have it be a spontaneous divine caster, with spells based off of Wisdom, and have it bind aspects of deities instead of vestiges.