PDA

View Full Version : Now that Haley has short hair............

paladinofshojo
2009-01-14, 07:01 PM
could we expect to see people making jokes about her being bisexual, or the gag of mistaking her as a boy? It would be awesome payback from when she mocked Roy for the gender change he had to suffer from

The Neoclassic
2009-01-14, 07:06 PM
I doubt it. I mean, honestly, making fun of women for looking like boys because they have short hair (or making fun of guys for looking like girls because they have long hair) is kind of ridiculous. As in, not really all that amusing or creative. At all. Plenty of attractive people have nontraditional hair lengths, and hair length has nothing to do with sexual orientation. Yeah, I know this is a comic and all that, but I can't really see the Giant trying to make any jokes of it. Heck, Haley seems quite OK with her hair, not thrilled, but it's not the sort of thing that is really getting on her nerves. And most characters tend to go after what will piss the others off most when making fun of them...

Just my two copper.

Occasional Sage
2009-01-14, 07:12 PM
I doubt it. I mean, honestly, making fun of women for looking like boys because they have short hair (or making fun of guys for looking like girls because they have long hair) is kind of ridiculous. As in, not really all that amusing or creative. At all. Plenty of attractive people have nontraditional hair lengths, and hair length has nothing to do with sexual orientation. Yeah, I know this is a comic and all that, but I can't really see the Giant trying to make any jokes of it. Heck, Haley seems quite OK with her hair, not thrilled, but it's not the sort of thing that is really getting on her nerves. And most characters tend to go after what will piss the others off most when making fun of them...

Just my two copper.

It *is* the kind of joke that Belkar would make, though.

Having been "mistaken for a woman" many times due to my hair length, that'd irritate me to see. But it would be believable coming from him.

The Neoclassic
2009-01-14, 07:15 PM
It *is* the kind of joke that Belkar would make, though.

Having been "mistaken for a woman" many times due to my hair length, that'd irritate me to see. But it would be believable coming from him.

Yeah, but I feel like his false personal growth may make him less prone to such comments for the time being.

TheBlackArcher
2009-01-14, 07:17 PM
1 word: Pink

The_JJ
2009-01-14, 07:30 PM
... she's a lot hotter. As much as a stick can be.

What? I like short hair, okay?

Optimystik
2009-01-14, 07:52 PM
I miss the ponytail :smallfrown: I wonder if Crystal's possession of it will become a plot point?

JonahFalcon
2009-01-14, 07:53 PM
I'll make Alien 3 jokes. :smallcool:

Surprise!
2009-01-14, 10:24 PM
I think it looked better when it had the messy look to it, instead of it's new shape. The former made her look a lot tougher in my opinion. Though shaping it would be better if she grows it out again.

Xerrik
2009-01-14, 10:49 PM
Plenty of attractive people have nontraditional hair lengths, and hair length has nothing to do with sexual orientation..

For example, the coolest looking men/boys in video games usually have long, flowing hair. Sure, it's usually only to the shoulder or slightly longer, but it's longer than the present day's style.

Go Sephiran!

Raging Gene Ray
2009-01-15, 01:12 AM
...did we get jokes about that for Lien? No. So why Haley? It makes about as much sense as making gay jokes about guys with long hair (none). Also, her latent bisexuality had long hair.

The Neoclassic
2009-01-15, 01:53 AM
...did we get jokes about that for Lien? No. So why Haley? It makes about as much sense as making gay jokes about guys with long hair (none). Also, her latent bisexuality had long hair.

Very good points; I quite agree. Besides, short hair has never been associated with bisexual girls; when it is associated with orientation, it's almost always with lesbians.

factotum
2009-01-15, 03:14 AM

I'm pretty sure at least one person said Lien was probably a lesbian because she had short hair, but I also have a strange idea it might be our old friend "paladinofshojo" who started this thread off!

kpenguin
2009-01-15, 03:27 AM
could we expect to see people making jokes about her being bisexual, or the gag of mistaking her as a boy? It would be awesome payback from when she mocked Roy for the gender change he had to suffer from

Has anyone mocked Lien for her short hairstyle? Although it may be that the Giant simply hasn't had the opportunity to do so, the fact that Lien has not been the butt of any jokes about mistaken gender or ambiguous sexual orientation seems to cast doubt on the idea that Haley will no be made into one.

Raging Gene Ray
2009-01-15, 04:41 AM
I'm pretty sure at least one person said Lien was probably a lesbian because she had short hair, but I also have a strange idea it might be our old friend "paladinofshojo" who started this thread off!

I vaguely remember that...didn't nearly everybody disagree with the OP there, too?

John Campbell
2009-01-15, 05:28 AM
Don't be silly. Haley's body is clearly not rectangular, and her eyes are set at the midline of her head, not above it. She's obviously a girl.

And her Latent Bisexuality has long hair.

Berserk Monk
2009-01-15, 06:31 AM
Don't see it happening. Crystal as well has short hair and no one calls her "true neutral." And as for her being called a boy, I don't think any man would be wearing leather armor with a mid rift.

whitelaughter
2009-01-15, 06:43 AM
I miss the ponytail :smallfrown: I wonder if Crystal's possession of it will become a plot point?

It's possible. That much hair would be more than sufficient to cast a simulacrum spell, and Dr Froggy should be able to cast it. Although that may be giving Crystal too much credit.

Linkavitch
2009-01-15, 03:09 PM
It's possible. That much hair would be more than sufficient to cast a simulacrum spell, and Dr Froggy should be able to cast it. Although that may be giving Crystal too much credit.

Well, yeah, but if she and Boz both defect from the Guild and try to get revenge on Haley, then Boz would be more then smart enough.

Assassin89
2009-01-15, 04:55 PM
Here is my 2 cp. Who cares about Haley's hairstyle? Haley might find her current hairstyle a little more effective in combat, and the hair will just grow back.

David Argall
2009-01-15, 05:17 PM
Has anyone mocked Lien for her short hairstyle?
Lien has pretty much been non-sexual. Now she works better as female because she gets rescued a fair amount, but her sexual activity happens off stage and we don't really have reason to consider her hair length.

Tycho2
2009-01-15, 05:24 PM
I think she might get a few taunts. Probably from Roy as soon as he is raised.

Optimystik
2009-01-15, 05:33 PM
I doubt Lien's a lesbian... it sounds like the kind of thing she'd have mentioned to the orcs since she pretty much told them her sex life. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0554.html)

(I would get into "technical virgin" discussions here but I don't think they're appropriate.)

As for the simulacrum idea... that's a scary thought, and another good reason not to be providing the Thieves' Guild with excess funds.

magic9mushroom
2009-01-16, 04:56 AM
Now that Haley has short hair, it is likely that either it will be regrown or there will be another timeskip.

Another timeskip would make a lot of sense.

Zeitgeist
2009-01-16, 06:27 AM
I don't see why.

I know more straight women with short hair than lesbians with short hair.

Then again, I know more straight women in general, so that statistic may be meaningless.

magic9mushroom
2009-01-16, 06:59 AM
Another timeskip makes sense because there's so much plot still to go. And because many of the plot threads that are starting have to have time to continue.

Optimystik
2009-01-16, 07:49 AM
Another timeskip makes sense because there's so much plot still to go. And because many of the plot threads that are starting have to have time to continue.

I think Zeitgeist was responding to the OP, not your post :smallwink:

A timeskip at this point would be hilarious, especially if they end up going to Cliffport anyway.

Keinnicht
2009-01-16, 11:34 AM
I'd like to think this comic has a slightly less lame, cliched, and not funny means of comedy.

ShadowPenguin
2009-01-16, 09:48 PM
I think Sabine will make some crack about her hair if she sees Haley's hair now

amuletts
2009-01-16, 11:19 PM
I feel absolutely certain that Haleys new hairstyle will be made plenty of fun of. Crystal started it, there are lots of people FAR MORE insensative than her. But I agree, Belkar might supprise us by being incredably tactful :D

Kish
2009-01-16, 11:22 PM
Well, yeah, but if she and Boz both defect from the Guild and try to get revenge on Haley, then Boz would be more then smart enough.
Bozzok is not going to give up his entire power base for the sake of revenge on Haley. Jeez.

Moff Chumley
2009-01-16, 11:41 PM
Am I the only one who finds the premise and underlying assumptions of this thread concerning?

Hawkeye
2009-01-20, 11:13 PM
I know one thing for certain, Haley's vanity (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0382.html) will be severely upset at the hair being messed up

Maxdibe
2009-01-21, 03:22 AM
I don't know...
I don't think that her two gemstones (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0123.html) will pass unnoticed to anyone calling her a boy.

Underground
2009-01-21, 04:59 AM
I'll make Alien 3 jokes. :smallcool:

One can do that ?