PDA

View Full Version : [Item/Weapon] Warbell

Fax Celestis
2006-10-12, 10:04 PM
http://www.amusica.co.uk/acatalog/special-needs-toys-349-Hand-Bell-L.jpg
A warbell is a hand bell, roughly 4 inches in diameter at its widest point. It can be used as a musical instrument, but it is also incredibly effective in combat.

Most hand bells have slightly rounded edges, preventing minor cuts from striking the edge of the bell against flesh. Warbells instead have sharpened edges and reinforced clappers. They are wielded by striking the opponent with the edge of the bell.

Unlike most hand bells, a warbell has a tension adjustment ring on the end of the grip. Twisting this ring will bend the shape of the bell slightly, changing the tone. Through this mechanism, different tones can be made to come out of one bell, instead of needing many bells.

You receive a +8 bonus to Sleight of Hand checks made to conceal the warbell. You receive a -10 penalty to Move Silently checks if you do not have mutes for the warbell.

When enchanting a warbell with a sonic effect (such as a command-word shatter spell), increase all numeric effects of the effect by +1 point per die.

Light Exotic Weapon
{table=head]Name | Cost | Dmg (S) | Dmg (M) | Critical | Range Increment | Weight | Type
Warbell | 25 gp | 1d4 | 1d6 | 20/x3 | - | 2 lbs. | Slashing/Bludgeoning
[/table]

Warbell mutes reduce or remove the sound made by a warbell while in use. Most of the time, these mutes are placed on the bell while not in use to prevent extraneous noise.

A warbell mute will only fit on a small (light) warbell.

Miscellaneous Items
{table=head]Name | Cost | Effect | Weight
Warbell Mute | 5 gp | Negates Move Silently penalty on warbells | -[/table]

A heavy warbell is similar to a warbell, except that it is much larger. Ranging about twenty inches across at its widest point, and weighing about fifteen pounds, it is nothing to be trifled with. Furthermore, the deep gonging sound it makes on striking is loud enough to be dangerous. Any creature struck by a heavy warbell must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + Str mod) or be rendered deaf for one round. Furthermore, crystalline creatures and creatures vulnerable to sonic damage take x4 damage on a critical hit from a heavy warbell, not x3.

Two-Handed Exotic Weapon
{table=head]Name | Cost | Dmg (S) | Dmg (M) | Critical | Range Increment | Weight | Type
Heavy Warbell | 200 gp | 1d8 | 1d10 | 20/x3 | - | 15 lbs. | Slashing/Bludgeoning[/table]

Fualkner Asiniti
2006-10-12, 10:31 PM
There should be a Slight of Hand bonus to hiding this thing. It should be even higher than the dagger because you can pass it off as a musical instrument and not a weapon.

Fax Celestis
2006-10-12, 10:40 PM
Good idea. Fixed.

TheOOB
2006-10-12, 10:48 PM
*Is reminded of a friends drunken master who beat a lycanthrope to death with a silver cow bell*

It's an interesting weapon. It certainly has the potential for being silly, but it is also quite effective as a weapon. I would suggest putting some mechinism on it to prevent it from ringing when it hits its target if you desire. The warbell is good for smuggling into an area, but not very stealthy when used in combat as is.

Fax Celestis
2006-10-12, 11:01 PM
It's an interesting weapon. It certainly has the potential for being silly, but it is also quite effective as a weapon. I would suggest putting some mechinism on it to prevent it from ringing when it hits its target if you desire. The warbell is good for smuggling into an area, but not very stealthy when used in combat as is.
Added in some text, as well as the mute.

LordOfNarf
2006-10-13, 01:21 AM
I think you should add a heavy war bell also, that does damage from being heavier, and has a chance to stun from the simoltaneous loud noise.

Fualkner Asiniti
2006-10-14, 12:20 AM
I think you should add a heavy war bell also, that does damage from being heavier, and has a chance to stun from the simoltaneous loud noise.

It would have to be balenced by making it two-handed, or no one would take the original proficency. The SOH bonus would disappear (How do you hide a large bell easily? You don't.)

DoomHat
2006-10-14, 09:34 PM
This screams cleric weapon. It could be fun to base whole religious practices around this thing.
The only other reason I could imagine for its existence is it being a commissioned craftwork for a murderous bard.

Could be a handy thing if you want to keep a weapon beyond a tough security check point.

TheOOB
2006-10-15, 12:09 AM
The weapon follows the same idea as a war fan. It's an innocent object that can be turned into a deadly weapon at a moments notice.

This item works with different disguises then a warfan would however.

Fax Celestis
2006-10-15, 12:23 AM
Added stats for the Heavy Warbell.

Halcyon_Dax
2006-10-15, 03:36 AM
Ive got a fever...
And the only cure is more Warbell.

*approves*

Catharsis
2006-10-15, 09:51 AM
The damage needs to be turned down. 1d4 is already way enough for a bell -- that still makes it as good as a dagger or a pick, and even that stretches the imagination. People would pay the feat for the concealability and maybe even style, not for effectiveness.

vanyell
2006-10-16, 08:50 PM
uh... excuse me, 2 questions.

could a bard casting summon instrument summon one of these?

and

isn't enlarging any sonic spell overpowered for 25 or 200 gp?

buy one, use it to cast your spells then put it away for combat.

Fax Celestis
2006-10-16, 10:11 PM
uh... excuse me, 2 questions.

could a bard casting summon instrument summon one of these?

and

isn't enlarging any sonic spell overpowered for 25 or 200 gp?

buy one, use it to cast your spells then put it away for combat.
Yes, and that's probably true. Let me fix that. How does +1/die sound?

EDIT: And it's not any sonic effect, only ones specifically cast from the warbell itself.

Jarl
2006-10-17, 12:28 AM
Reminds me of the "All is Well" bells in Guards! Guards! and Nightwatch.

-Those were good. I like the sonic enhancement, too.

CabbageTheif
2006-10-17, 01:13 AM
whats that? a non-magical basis for sonic damage?

heck, with this sucker, elan could have saved vaarsuvius.

theOOB bought up an interesting point. for lythcantropes would a silver bell do bludgeoning damage? are most bells silver, or are masterwork silver,, or what?

Fax Celestis
2006-10-17, 12:16 PM
The only sonic damage a warbell deals is that of the heavy warbell's deafening effect.

As for silver? You can make it whatever you like, but most are steel, considering their bladed nature. Silver doesn't hold an edge very well.

And as for overcoming DR, when a source deals two or more types of damage, it counts as the kind that overcomes DR (if one does). It's in the SRD.

LordOfNarf
2006-10-17, 08:45 PM
*Applauds*

I like it, I can totlaly see my cleric using the heavy warbell.

SmileyX
2006-10-18, 10:49 PM
This is really cool, but would it be plausible for a charector with perform(war bell) using the bludgeoning form of damage to maybe cause the shaken condition on the first hit on a opponent(with a succesful perform check of course), maybe for one or two rounds, i have no idea what the fortitude save would be. Maybe with just the Heavy Warbell. Anyways these are cool, a monk should be able to pick them up as special monk weapons(maybe swapping out another weapon). Still, it would be so funny to see a group of PCs getting beaten by a NPC using a bell =D, maybe two.

Delcan
2006-10-18, 10:58 PM
Totally stolen, for the favored weapon of a goddess of drama, operatics, and Armageddon. :)

Fax Celestis
2006-10-18, 10:59 PM
This is really cool, but would it be plausible for a charector with perform(war bell) using the bludgeoning form of damage to maybe cause the shaken condition on the first hit on a opponent(with a succesful perform check of course), maybe for one or two rounds, i have no idea what the fortitude save would be. Maybe with just the Heavy Warbell. Anyways these are cool, a monk should be able to pick them up as special monk weapons(maybe swapping out another weapon). Still, it would be so funny to see a group of PCs getting beaten by a NPC using a bell =D, maybe two.
That'd be a feat, not part of the weapon.

And they were intended to be bard weapons, for a bard who likes playing Carol of the Bells with his enemies' brains.