PDA

View Full Version : Square Glasses

Groundhog
2009-01-14, 09:04 PM
I have this feeling that I'm going to be needing glasses at some point in the near future. I searched for rectangular frames on the web, but I couldn't find any true rectangles except for glasses that came with Santa costumes. Does anyone around here know where to find non-costume rectangular glasses?

Innis Cabal
2009-01-14, 09:07 PM
Your local optomitrist might have them, but that are not a normal shape for glass's. I'd advise against such though, even if you want them for the looks...thats not what glass's are about, square frames rarely suit anyones face. Most are rounded for a reason. The other reason being, square glass's are hard to repair and do get broken easier then your standard shaped glass's.

Canadian
2009-01-14, 09:12 PM
Join the Marines!

Fri
2009-01-15, 07:27 AM
bah, glasses are for the common masses. Use pince-nez! or better yet.

GOGGLES! Mm... goggles...

(no, I don't have a goggle fetish. Shut up).

thubby
2009-01-15, 08:23 AM
true rectangles are near impossible to find, but ones with rounded edges are fairly common. i should know, i own a pair.
the corners on real rectangles make then harder to make and easier to break.

if you are still dedicated to getting them, i agree, ask your optometrist and/or lens crafter

reorith
2009-01-15, 08:53 AM
are you a bad enough dude to make them yourself? all it takes to cut glass is string, kerosene, a lighter and a bucket of cold water.

KnightDisciple
2009-01-15, 09:11 AM
true rectangles are near impossible to find, but ones with rounded edges are fairly common. i should know, i own a pair.
the corners on real rectangles make then harder to make and easier to break.

if you are still dedicated to getting them, i agree, ask your optometrist and/or lens crafter

Yeah. Mine are the same way. I actually used to have round ones (I've had glasses since 1st grade), and I prefer how I look with these. But an eye doctor is your best bet for properly-made frames. I've seen quite a few rounded rectangles at the doctor I've used for a bit; I think they're back in style these days.

Telonius
2009-01-15, 02:41 PM
Found some reading glasses here (http://www.lareaders.com/assorted_colors_rectangle_reading_glasses) with frames that are fairly close to true rectangles. Can't vouch for the site, though; so use the usual caution. If you pop out the lenses, your eyeglass-maker might be able to use the frames to fit a prescription lens.

Anyway, regardless of how you do it, you're probably looking at a pretty big price tag.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-01-15, 02:48 PM
I have this feeling that I'm going to be needing glasses at some point in the near future. I searched for rectangular frames on the web, but I couldn't find any true rectangles except for glasses that came with Santa costumes. Does anyone around here know where to find non-costume rectangular glasses?

Erm...why do you want true rectangular glasses? I know they make rounded-off ones, though they aren't that common...but...

Is there a specific reason?

Phae Nymna
2009-01-15, 05:59 PM
I need a new pair, so I'm hijacking this thread.

I'm in love with Zach Quinto, and I really want some frames like his. Y'know, big bulky squarish ones, and I also want a pair of wire or plastic framed circular lens glasses. Like John Lennon or the TF2 Medic.

Groundhog
2009-01-15, 11:34 PM
@Fri: Hmmm...Pince-nez are even harder to find. I do know someone who has them, but he inherited them from his grandfather. (If he was black, he'd look just like Morpheus.) As for goggles, I like that! I used to be a swimmer, so I know that I'd look good in them...and I could push them up on my head when I don't need them and look like Naruto.

@reorith: If I could convince the lens maker to just make lenses for me, I could make the frames myself, since I have glassmaking equipment in my basement. That would be cool too...

@Cobra: Because I'm into old-fashioned stuff that way. Also because I do look good in that style--I tested this when I made some fake glasses out of wire for my Professor McGonagall costume.

Collin152
2009-01-15, 11:36 PM
I'm in love with Zach Quinto,

I've been told I resemble him once or twice, you know. Winkywink.

Yeah, I love those glasses too, and I do prefer squarish frames to roundish frames. They should just be at the eye-guy's office, shouldn't they?

Cobra_Ikari
2009-01-15, 11:38 PM
@Cobra: Because I'm into old-fashioned stuff that way. Also because I do look good in that style--I tested this when I made some fake glasses out of wire for my Professor McGonagall costume.

Were you not so wreathed in shadows, I'd tell you you look good regardless. As it is, I can only say that the illuminated parts are thus. :smallwink:

*hugs*...try some on at the doctor's, I guess?

KerfuffleMach2
2009-01-15, 11:55 PM
Try asking a few doctors. They might be able to special order a pair from a manufacturer.

But, as far as I know, the rounded rectangles are as close as you'll get. Like mine.

Groundhog
2009-01-16, 12:04 AM
Were you not so wreathed in shadows, I'd tell you you look good regardless. As it is, I can only say that the illuminated parts are thus. :smallwink:

*hugs*...try some on at the doctor's, I guess?

Yeah, I'm also phobic about stalkers that way. I trust most of the regulars not to stalk me, it's the lurkers I'm worried about. But thanks for the compliment...:smallbiggrin: And yeah, I guess I'll just have to try them on at the doctor's if and when I get them.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-01-16, 12:11 AM
Yeah, I'm also phobic about stalkers that way. I trust most of the regulars not to stalk me, it's the lurkers I'm worried about. But thanks for the compliment...:smallbiggrin: And yeah, I guess I'll just have to try them on at the doctor's if and when I get them.

*hugs tight*...let us know how that goes, hun. I hope you find some that you like.