PDA

View Full Version : Unfledged [Class]

ideasmith
2006-10-13, 08:09 PM
Unfledged

Sometimes, a group of adventurers includes a character who seems to have no business being on an adventure. Such characters from fiction include Bilbo Baggins (The Hobbit) and Garian (Pawn of Prophecy). Such characters often develop abilities they didn't know they had. *

On a more rule-oriented note, sometimes one may have trouble deciding what class to play. This class is a way of delaying your decision without delaying the game.

Hit Die D4. *
Base Attack: Poor
Base Dodge Bonus: None
Good Saves: None
Class Skills The unfledged has no class skills. *
Skill Points at 1st Level (2 + Int modifier) * 4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level 2 + Int modifier. *

LEVEL SPECIAL * *
1 * * *Metamorphosis
2 * * *Tagalong *-1
4 * * *Tagalong -2
5 * * *Instant Metamorphasis
6 * * *Tagalong -3
8 * * *Tagalong -4
10 * * *Improved Metamorphosis. Tagalong -5
12 * * *Tagalong -6
14 * * *Tagalong -7
15 * * *True Metamorphasis
16 * * *Tagalong -8
18 * * *Tagalong -9
20 * * *Heroic Metamorphasis, Tagalong -10

Class Features

The following are class features of the unfledged class. *

Weapon and Armor Proficiency The unfledged is proficient with one simple weapon. E is not proficient with any other weapons, nor is he proficient with any type of armor or shields. *

Metamorphosis: Upon gaining a level, the unfledged may cease being an unfledged, turning all levels thereof into levels in some other class (or classes). This has the following effects: *First e instantly loses all er levels in unfledged, including the associated Hit Dice. The unfledged base attack bonus, base saving throw bonuses, and special class abilities are now reduced to the new, lower level. Likewise, the unfledged loses any ability score gain, skill ranks, and any feat associated with the levels (if applicable). If the exact ability score or skill ranks increased from a level now lost is unknown (or the player has forgotten), lose 1 point from the highest ability score or ranks from the highest-ranked skills. If a familiar or companion creature has abilities tied to an unfledged who is ceasing to be an unfledged, the creature's abilities are adjusted to fit the character's new level. Only levels in unfledged are lost, levels in other classes and racial hit dice levels are unaffected. *The unfledged experience point total is immediately set to the midpoint of the previous level. * Then e regains the experience points one level at a time, at each level gaining the normal benefits (and penalties, including multiclassing penalties), except that the class levels gained may not be in unfledged. This continues until the character's experience point total is back where it was before, less any penalties (such as multiclassing penalties). * The effects of using this ability may not be reversed short of a wish. *

Tagalong: Starting at second level, the unfledged counts as one level lower for purposes of determining appropriate opposition and party experience. *

Instant Metamorphosis: Starting at 5th level, the unfledged may use metamorphosis at any time, as a free action. The effects are still irreversible.

Improved Metamorphosis: Starting at 10th level, when the unfledged uses metamorphosis, e may rearrange er ability scores (Str, Dex, Con, Int Wis, and Cha). Any racial adjustments thereof are subtracted before rearranging, and added again after doing so.

True Metamorphosis: Starting at 15th level, the unfledged may change er race when using metamorphosis. All ECL adjustments are applied before any experience is regained, and the experience needed to gain a level is adjusted appropriately. *

Heroic Metamorphosis: *Starting at 20th level, the unfledged benefits from the following spells when activating metamorphosis: Heal, Improved Heroism, Protection from Spells. * The effects have their normal durations.

Multi-class Unfledged * * A character with one or more levels in unfledged, may not take levels in any other class. Note that an unfledged using metamorphosis is considered to lose all er levels in unfledged before gaining levels in other class(es).

Ex-Unfledged A character who has used metamorphosis is no longer an unfledged, but may multiclass into unfledged normally. *

CHANGES:

10/16/2006: Clarified duration of heroic metamorphasis effects (Thank you, Fax Celestis)

10/18/2006: Drastically increased effects of Tagalong class ability (Thank you, Lucid_Archon, paddyfool, Fax Celestis, Proven_Paradox )

Fax Celestis
2006-10-13, 08:18 PM
Strange.

Heroic Metamorphosis: are those spells permanent?

McDeath
2006-10-13, 10:51 PM
I like it. As Fax noted, clarification is needed in parts.

ideasmith
2006-10-14, 04:12 PM
Strange.

Heroic Metamorphosis: are those spells permanent?

The effects listed in Heroic Metamorphasis have the durations listed in their spell descriptions. Will correct the wording.

I like it. As Fax noted, clarification is needed in parts.

Okay, what parts? I do need to know that if I'm to add useful clarification.

MrSeth
2006-10-14, 06:52 PM
Okay, wait, wait. Metamorphosis happens when the person gains a level... which is usually AFTER the adventure is over, right? So what good does Heroic Metamorphosis do? It's a one-shot thing, and it's only good for a couple minutes.

Lucid_Archon
2006-10-14, 11:23 PM
This is a very interesting class, to say the least. I like the class, but might I suggest making the tagalong ability stronger at higher levels. At low levels it works, but having a level twenty unfledged being effectively level 19 is a major descrepancy.

Latronis
2006-10-14, 11:25 PM
Instant Metamorphosis: Starting at 5th level, the unfledged may use metamorphosis at any time, as a free action. The effects are still irreversible.

SilveryCord
2006-10-14, 11:27 PM
I love the flavor of someone finally realizing their true potential and unleashing tons of new powers all at once right at the critical moment. Very nice, and good job.

paddyfool
2006-10-15, 01:01 PM
Ideasmith,

I love the idea, but I'd hate to play one of these. Having one as a cohort could be fun, though, and quite fitting with the concept (the wizard's quiet and unassuming errand boy turning out to be a person of pivotal importance, for instance).

MrSeth,

Okay, wait, wait. Metamorphosis happens when the person gains a level... which is usually AFTER the adventure is over, right? So what good does Heroic Metamorphosis do? It's a one-shot thing, and it's only good for a couple minutes.

See Instant Metamorphosis - at 5th level, Metamorphosis ceases to happen when changing level, and can be achieved as a free action.

Lucid_Archon,

might I suggest making the tagalong ability stronger at higher levels.

Seconded.

ideasmith
2006-10-16, 02:10 PM
This is a very interesting class, to say the least. I like the class, but might I suggest making the tagalong ability stronger at higher levels. At low levels it works, but having a level twenty unfledged being effectively level 19 is a major descrepancy.

Seconded.

How quickly should the tagalong ability increase?

Fax Celestis
2006-10-16, 02:24 PM
Every 2 levels.

Tormsskull
2006-10-16, 03:29 PM
The OP looks like a Find and Replace gone wrong. I'd recomend re-editing.

It looks like I am not the only one who thinks this is a very interesting class though :)

Good luck

Proven_Paradox
2006-10-16, 10:40 PM
This seems like a class geared towards cohorts, as paddyfool mentioned. It's got fun flavor, and it would indeed be useful for party members who can't seem to decide on a class when it's time to start. I agree on suggestions to make Tagalong better as the character progresses (every two or three levels, I'd say).

Also, might want to check your post again; there are e's and er's where I think you intended to put in s/he or his/her.

Edit: How would one explain suddenly gaining power in classes that normally require study to enter, such as wizard or cleric? Other, more spontaneous classes (sorcerer, barbarian, and so on) I can certainly see, but the flavor of other classes seem to go against this.

I dunno, seems like something that should be asked to me. *Shrug*

ideasmith
2006-10-18, 09:30 PM
Also, might want to check your post again; there are e's and er's where I think you intended to put in s/he or his/her.

E & Er were intentional. They take up less room than s/he and his/her, which could be important depending on how much the change log expands.

Edit: How would one explain suddenly gaining power in classes that normally require study to enter, such as wizard or cleric? Other, more spontaneous classes (sorcerer, barbarian, and so on) I can certainly see, but the flavor of other classes seem to go against this.

I dunno, seems like something that should be asked to me. *Shrug*

I wouldn't count the cleric class as requireing study to enter: Surely deities could grant spell use and undead turn to untrained individuals, if they wished. Wizards would be more of a problem, but I don't see many GM's allowing Metamorphasis to cause a spellbook to appear, and if a player wants an unfledged to become a wizard badly enough to have er character create a spellbook, I would be inclined to allow it.