PDA

View Full Version : Need a Mechanic in the Playground

alchemyprime
2009-01-14, 10:36 PM
Heya. My girlfriend was driving her 92 Isuzu Rodeo down the bumpy dirt road in front of her house and parked it in front of her house. She hit a ditch while going down it. Now the ROdeo won't start. We know that battery is fine, and the spark plugs were changed recently, but we can't get it to start. Its a v6 manual engine. There is a clicking noise when she turns the key, and before it would sometimes need gas to start.

Any possible way of helping would be greatly appreciated!

rankrath
2009-01-14, 10:43 PM
It sounds to me like to busted your starter motor, and it had been dying for some time.(having to apply the gas to start the car is a major heads up). Call a local repair shop that you trust, they'll have to tow you into the shop and replace the motor.

Jack Squat
2009-01-14, 11:06 PM
It sounds to me like to busted your starter motor, and it had been dying for some time.(having to apply the gas to start the car is a major heads up). Call a local repair shop that you trust, they'll have to tow you into the shop and replace the motor.

eh, a repair book is $16 and a new starter is $66. It takes 10 minutes to install, and will save you about $268 dollars.

This is going off of someone I know who had to have a starter replaced just the other day.

ETA: Go to a shop and get it diagnosed. If you feel you have the aptitude to fix it, go for it. If you would rather someone trained do it, that's fine. Either way, ask them to check it first...don't have them actually work on it until you want them to. Also, be sure to get any parts that were replaced. For instance, they could possibly have used said repair kit and charge you for a whole new starter. If you ask for the part, you'll know if they're trying to rip you off.

de-trick
2009-01-15, 06:57 PM
my guess is the electro magnet in the starter went, but cant tell from here.

Do the lights work, also is it cold where you live, because my truck has trouble starting if its been sitting in the cold, most likely you need a new starter

alchemyprime
2009-01-15, 09:14 PM
Lights work, and its cold where she lives (she's on top of the mountain, I'm in the adjoining valley).

My dad insists her battery is just dead enough. We're going to try his idea, though mine was the starter is dead.

Jack Squat
2009-01-15, 09:24 PM
It doesn't sound like a battery problem to me. Still, jumping it doesn't really hurt much...I wouldn't shell out for a new battery though unless the current one's pretty old.

de-trick
2009-01-15, 09:36 PM
id say roll into some place warm, or use the block heater, and then try