PDA

View Full Version : Ability Moment Feats [3.5] PEACH

Assassin89
2009-01-14, 11:33 PM
While creating an example of the stupidity of Crystal from Order of the Stick, I though of a feat that could change an int modifier to 0.

Brilliant stupidity [General]
prerequisite: you must have an int score of 9 or less
benefit: when making checks that have an int modifier, your int modifier is 0, although your int score does not change.

Essentially such a feat could be extended to the other ability scores as well.

Moment of Brilliance [General]
prerequisite: you must have an int score of 9 or less
benefit: Once per day for every four levels, when making a skill check that has an int modifier, your int modifier becomes 0. This does not change your int score.

Moment of Perception [General]
prerequisite: you must have an wis score of 9 or less
benefit: Once per day for every four levels, when making a skill check that has an wis modifier, your wis modifier becomes 0. This does not change your wis score.

Moment of Influence [General]
prerequisite: you must have an cha score of 9 or less
benefit: Once per day for every four levels, when making a skill check that has an cha modifier, your cha modifier becomes 0. This does not change your cha score.

Right now these feats only apply for skill checks, but they are designed to counteract low ability scores, not intentionally break the system.

Limos
2009-01-14, 11:42 PM
I think this should stick to Mental attributes. It doesn't make much sense with the physical ones. Unless you changed it to be Overwhelming Terror for the strength one (Like a burst of strength for fleeing the monster). Moment of (whatever) doesn't really fit with physical traits.

Assassin89
2009-01-14, 11:53 PM
This is my first time homebrewing, and I have no intention of using these feats myself.
I have also removed the physical attributes.

The Neoclassic
2009-01-15, 01:06 AM
You made a typo in Moment of Influence ("your cha modifier", it should be under the Benefit). Otherwise, though, I like them. Possibly only because they make me giggle, but I do not think they are unbalanced at all (maybe weak, but if people pick them, then that is their problem, heh). Nice.

Lappy9000
2009-01-15, 11:53 AM
Yes, these are quite weak. The idea is kinda nice, but I doubt a character who used Charisma/Intelligence/Wisdom as his dump stat would use a feat to stink slightly less at using their weakest ability. They need a little more kick to put them up to speed with other feats. For example, an Intelligence-dumped barbarian would need a reason to take this over Power Attack. However, it could be quite funny when actually used....

As a member of an evil adventuring party, Krusk the barbarian isn't actually evil, he is simply too unintelligent to realize that his teammates are actually blood-thirsty murderers. At level 6, Krusk decides to take Moment of Brilliance as a feat because the bard once told him that brilliant things are shiny.

While looting a local village....
Krusk smash puny men!
*Utilize moment of Brilliance*
Krusk now wonder why Krusk smash puny men. Puny men not hurt Krusk. Krusk party make Krusk attack puny men so Krusk party can take Krusk share of shinies! Make Krusk angry! Krusk smash friends!

Assassin89
2009-01-17, 10:55 AM
I just though of a different feat that a barbarian could use in certain situations. The feat acts like a normal rage, but increases intelligence and wisdom rather than strength and constitution.

Mental Rage [general]
prerequisites: ability to rage.
benefits: When raging, a character may substitute his Strength and Constitution bonuses with Intelligence and Wisdom Bonuses. A fit of mental rage lasts for a number of rounds equal to 3 + the character’s (newly improved) Intelligence modifier. While mentally raging, a barbarian cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Strength-based skills (except for Balance, Escape Artist, Intimidate, and Ride), the Concentration skill, or any abilities that require patience or concentration. He can only use Combat Expertise, item creation feats, and metamagic feats. At the end of the rage, the character loses the rage modifiers and restrictions and becomes mentally fatigued (-2 penalty to Intelligence, -2 penalty to Charisma, -2 penalty to Wisdom, can’t cast spells or activate magic items that require a command word, a spell trigger (such as a wand), or spell completion (such as a scroll) to function) for the duration of the current encounter.

Yes, this feat sounds like rearranging the rage ability of a barbarian.