PDA

View Full Version : Dual Wielding Systems?

shadow_archmagi
2009-01-15, 07:51 AM
So, one thing I'd always wondered about doing was, well, dual wielding systems. Maybe a time-travel game where characters move from Firefly to M&M to D&D as needed. Maybe just a game of D&D where the players have to defend helms deep and switch over to -insert name of system that handles large scale battles well-

Any of you ever do this?

Grail
2009-01-15, 07:57 AM
Sounds like a lot of book-keeping.
Not only that, but whenever you try to convert characters between systems, they never convert well generally and something is always lost.

1e AD&D had rules for mixing AD&D and Boot Hill (Six Guns & Sorcery) and also rules for mixing AD&D and Gamma World (Mutants & Magic). We played a lot of the 2nd type. It was always fun blowing up Drow with Dynamite and using Anti-Matter Missile's against Dragons.

hewhosaysfish
2009-01-15, 09:34 AM
I would say that a better bet might be to look for a generic system which can roughly represent the different settings you want to jump between.

Artanis
2009-01-15, 11:50 AM
I would say that a better bet might be to look for a generic system which can roughly represent the different settings you want to jump between.
Agreed. Several systems are designed to be able to handle pretty much any setting situation you can put them in (GURPS comes to mind, though I've heard that M&M does so also). BESM is purpose-built to handle multiple settings at the same time.

R4ph
2009-01-15, 03:18 PM
My College Gaming Soc's convention runs an event every year called the Trilogy. It's 3 games, in 3 systems, with some coherent link between them. In the last 3 years they've been the same party, people from the same town at 3 points in it;s history, and this year is the same story from 3 perspectives.

Oh, and this all goes down in one day.

Tacoma
2009-01-15, 03:23 PM
The Shadowrun system is surprisingly good at describing use of firearms, melee attacks, spells, summoning, cybernetic implants, edges and flaws, a feat system (their Physical Adept), edges and flaws, investigation / legwork / contacts, and does an adequate job of handling vehicles. Only Car Wars did a better job of vehicular rules that I've seen (though I haven't played any space-tactical games).

I can imagine it working for anything in technology level from Ice Age to Star Wars level futuristic, magic level from None to well past D&D. You could use it for a Fallout RPG if you added a Poison / Disease variant rule for Radiation.

EDIT: I was duel-wielding "edges and flaws" :smallamused: