PDA

View Full Version : Increasing Favored Enemy

Jimbob
2009-01-15, 08:00 AM
As it says in the title really.
With the current house rules in place where no single class can be higher then your level im playing a ranger 2, fighter 1, barbrian 1 so becasue of this it will be 10th + level till I get my next bonus. Oh and my favored enemy is goblinoids.
We are playing FGR so I have already taken Foe Hunter (I think its called) so that gives me a +2. Next level im gonna take improved favored enemy (+3) from CW. So next level my bonus will be +7 but I want to get it MUCH higher then that with feats, magic items any thing really.

Can any one help???:smallcool:

Edit: sorry meant no class can be higher then half your level.

Tempest Fennac
2009-01-15, 08:49 AM
This isn;t really what you want at all, but the Generic Warrior, http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/genericClasses.htm , can take Favoured Enemies as bonus feats. If your DM was okay with you multi-classing as one, that would help a bit.

KevLar
2009-01-15, 09:00 AM
no single class can be higher then your level
I didn't quite get that houserule, but if you can take 3 levels of scout you qualify for Swift Hunter (And add Ranger and Scout levels to advance your Favored Enemy bonus. And skirmish of course.)

Items from MIC:
The Hunting weapon property (price +1 bonus) gives +4 to damage Vs all your favored enemies.

The Enemy Spirit Pouch (price 2100, slot: throat) applies to only one favored enemy type and gives +2 to all the bonuses plus +1 competence to attack.

And of course you can get the Bane weapon property (another +1) for goblinoids, which gives 2d6 extra damage.

EDIT- I suggest you take all of the above only if you're completely certain that goblinoids are all you'll ever come up against. Usually it's a bad idea to invest everything in battling ONE type of enemy, but I guess it depends on the campaign.

Person_Man
2009-01-15, 09:59 AM
I really don't understand what you mean by "no single class can be higher then your level." Can you please explain it.

Anywho, the key to optimizing Favored Enemy is to take a level of Harper Paragon or Stalker of Kharesh. Either prestige class will give you Favored Enemy (Evil). There's also a variant in Complete Mage which let's you take Favored Enemy (Arcanist), which applies to anyone or thing that casts arcane spells, spell like abilities, or invocations. Then fill out the rest of your Favored Enemy slots with non-Evil non-casters, such as constructs and magical beasts. Now that your Favored Enemy applies to most things, you need to make it meaningful. Take the following feats:

Nemisis: Deal an extra 1d6 to your Favored Enemy, and allows you to always detect their location (even if Invisible or through walls) within 60 feet.

Favored Power Attack: Improves your Power Attack against Favored Enemy.

Wise to Your Ways: Applies your Favored Enemy bonus to your Saves vs. one Favored Enemy (pick Evil or Arcanist).

There you go.

Jimbob
2009-01-15, 11:12 AM
Yeah sorry for the confusion, what I should of said is no single class be more then half your level, was getting a bit ahead of myself.

Where do you find Nemisis and wise to your ways?? what book??

Person_Man
2009-01-15, 12:28 PM
Yeah sorry for the confusion, what I should of said is no single class be more then half your level, was getting a bit ahead of myself.

What's the reasoning behind that?

Where do you find Nemisis and wise to your ways?? what book??

Feat Index (www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/feats). More useful (but incomplete) feat index (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/datafind/feats.shtml). Crystalkeep (http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/index.php).

Tacoma
2009-01-15, 12:42 PM
The "no class can be higher than half your level" thing would require multiclassing. But it also eliminates the problem of single-classing, that is, many classes work best when you stay within it or do a level or two dip outside over the course of 20 levels.

If you don't have access to a lot of crazy prestige classes, being single-classed is more meaningful. Many PrC allow you to improve your base class's special abilities without actually staying in it (such as improving your spellcasting in a caster PrC by one level per level taken in it).

So in this way the DM gives people the opportunity to play a solidly multiclassed character without feeling like they're missing out on the benefits of single-classing.

That said, if the DM allows a wide variety of PrC the rule is pointless; you'll just get to a high enough level in two base classes to qualify for a PrC and never look back.

This also does interesting things with favored classes by race. If you must have two classes, then either one class is your favored class or you have to keep them within a level of each other. Or take an XP penalty I guess. There's usually not a reason to do that.