PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 vampiric regeneration

Narmoth
2009-01-15, 02:12 PM
Is there any item in 3.5 that let's me absorb a part of the hp i deal in dmg, like the 2nd ed "Ring of Vampiric Regeneration"?
I've looked through quite a few books, but can't find any item that let's me heal dmg inflicted on myself through inflicting dmg on an opponent

Fixer
2009-01-15, 02:17 PM
I haven't found one. The closest I could find is a "Wrathful Healing" property in the Enemies & Allies book from 3.0. Given that it was never updated to 3.5, rules say it is grandfathered in.

Glimbur
2009-01-15, 02:40 PM
Magic Item Compendium has crystals of lifedrinking. You slap them on your weapon and you are healed some of the damage you do, up to a set limit per crystal. It also has the Vampiric weapon property: costs as +2; adds 1d6 more damage and heals you that much for each attack on a living creature.

Narmoth
2009-01-15, 04:07 PM
Magic Item Compendium has crystals of lifedrinking. You slap them on your weapon and you are healed some of the damage you do, up to a set limit per crystal. It also has the Vampiric weapon property: costs as +2; adds 1d6 more damage and heals you that much for each attack on a living creature.

I'm positive that item is not in that book. But thanks for the suggestion

monty
2009-01-15, 04:32 PM
Custom weapon with use-activated Vampiric Touch?

UserClone
2009-01-15, 05:33 PM
I'm positive that item is not in that book. But thanks for the suggestion

I'm pretty sure you aren't looking hard enough. Vampiric is on page 45, and Crystal of life drinking spills over from page 64 to page 65. What Magic Item Compendium do you own?:smallconfused:

Narmoth
2009-01-16, 05:45 AM
I'm pretty sure you aren't looking hard enough. Vampiric is on page 45, and Crystal of life drinking spills over from page 64 to page 65. What Magic Item Compendium do you own?:smallconfused:

thank you. It never occured to me to look in the weapon section.
Still, it's not what I need. I deal 7d6 dmg each hit by use of spell and weapon. This spell also drains me for hp. I'm looking for something that will return me a percentage of the dmg, rather than one or two hp each hit.

Curmudgeon
2009-01-16, 07:45 AM
What you want is sneak attack + Vampiric Touch, because the bonus is of the same type as the damage you deal with the spell, and
You gain temporary hit points equal to the damage you deal. More sneak attack = more temporary HP.

Narmoth
2009-01-16, 09:56 AM
What you want is sneak attack + Vampiric Touch, because the bonus is of the same type as the damage you deal with the spell, and More sneak attack = more temporary HP.

Nope, that doesn't help either, as now I need to make a touch attack rather than a 2 handed sword attack.

What my blackguard has at present: (dmg is for each hit)
2d6+7 - greatsword dmg
3d6 - blade of blood, lvl 1 spell
5d6 - divine sacrifice, lvl 1 spell
3d6 - sneak attack (if flanking)

Now, with this I deal 10d6+7 on each hit, but the spells also drain me of 15 hp, and I have little health. So I'm looking of a way to get less dmg myself while still using the greatsword. I can of course get 10 hp dmg if I get only 1d6 dmg from blade of blood, but I would prefer other ways of remaining alive.

Person_Man
2009-01-16, 10:12 AM
Spell Storing (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#spellStoring) Weapon
Vampiric Touch (www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/vampiricTouch.htm) spell
Bodyfeeder (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/weapons.htm#bodyfeeder) weapon

Strait out of the SRD.

Curmudgeon
2009-01-16, 10:47 AM
Nope, that doesn't help either, as now I need to make a touch attack rather than a 2 handed sword attack. It doesn't have to be just a touch; a punch or kick will also do the job, and increase the damage = increase your temporary HP. A Fanged Ring + Monk's Belt will let you do 2d6 damage (if you're medium size), the same as the greatsword. You can still add Divine Sacrifice.

Narmoth
2009-01-16, 01:56 PM
It doesn't have to be just a touch; a punch or kick will also do the job, and increase the damage = increase your temporary HP. A Fanged Ring + Monk's Belt will let you do 2d6 damage (if you're medium size), the same as the greatsword. You can still add Divine Sacrifice.

Yeah, but he loses his flavor. He is supposed to use the greatsword.

Thurbane
2009-01-16, 09:19 PM
Maybe a reversed Vicious weapon - heals the target of 2d6 damage, but gives you 1d6 per hit back? :smalltongue:

Iku Rex
2009-01-16, 09:36 PM
There's always the Vampire Torc from MIC.

5000 gp, 2/day, swift, heal 1/2 the damage you deal on your next hit within one turn.

Works well with the Emerald Razor power (from Tome of Battle), max Power Attack and a two-handed weapon.

Thurbane
2009-01-16, 10:56 PM
There's always the Vampire Torc from MIC.

5000 gp, 2/day, swift, heal 1/2 the damage you deal on your next hit within one turn.

Works well with the Emerald Razor power (from Tome of Battle), max Power Attack and a two-handed weapon.
Actually, I think that pretty much exactly nails the point. Nice one. :smallsmile:

...if you want more than 2/day, and have the money, load up on Torcs and swap them out after 2 uses. Warning: smells like cheese. :smallbiggrin:

The Glyphstone
2009-01-16, 11:19 PM
There's Vampiric Blade (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/vampiricBlade.htm) as a 3rd level PsyWarrior power, but as you mentioned you're a blackguard, it's probably not going to work out for you. Pity Hidden Talent is 1st level powers only.

Narmoth
2009-01-17, 09:39 AM
Actually, I think that pretty much exactly nails the point. Nice one. :smallsmile:

...if you want more than 2/day, and have the money, load up on Torcs and swap them out after 2 uses. Warning: smells like cheese. :smallbiggrin:

Yeah, that's exactly what I was looking for. With the exception of the pr day limitation. I'll have to look into making a greater version of it with more uses each day.
Thank you