PDA

View Full Version : Dual wielding arrows? Am I Crazy?

Starbuck_II
2009-01-15, 06:25 PM
I was thinking of a character and ammution costs 1/5oth the price.
Drawback is that they break if used as projectiles.

However, not as improved melee weapons (dagger dice in damage is sucky as well as -4 penalty to hit) but supercheap to get masterwork/magic ones.

At least at low levels, being to able to afford 2 +1 arrows for twfing can be useful (as DR/magic is fairly possible to see as well as Shadows, etc that require it).

So I ask how can one make this Character idea worth while?

How should I best make this character?

Keld Denar
2009-01-15, 06:43 PM
Needs more drunken master.

Then turn the arrows around and beat people with the feathered end...you'll do more damage that way.

Heliomance
2009-01-15, 06:59 PM
Except any improvised weapon a drunkenmaster uses breaks apart if the attack roll is a natural 1.

RTGoodman
2009-01-15, 07:05 PM
Except any improvised weapon a drunkenmaster uses breaks apart if the attack roll is a natural 1.

There's a [Luck] feat out there I think that lets you, by using a luck re-roll, turn a natural 1 into a natural 20. That should solve that problem.

PinkysBrain
2009-01-15, 07:29 PM
This comes up every so often ...

Generally speaking, ammunition that hits its target is destroyed or rendered useless, while normal ammunition that misses has a 50% chance of being destroyed or lost.

Starbuck_II
2009-01-15, 07:42 PM
This comes up every so often ...

But that is using the ammunition as ammunition.

The Arrow section in the Weapon section treats them as improvised daggers if used in melee. Daggers don't break.

So I figure the specific overrides general rule here.

ericgrau
2009-01-16, 12:47 AM
Truly we have Legolas to blame for this mess. It was only a matter of time before powergamers tried to find the full implications of this tactic.

Signmaker
2009-01-16, 12:52 AM
I would like to mention that this is the only time (barring somehow throwing the arrow using ToB, if that even works) that spell storing would work with an arrow, as you ARE wielding it. Poke someone with the feather end, and let a Shocking Grasp surprise them. =P

zakk2to2
2009-01-16, 12:52 AM
if regular arrows are daggers does that mean large arrows are swords? you know just thinking aloud.

Signmaker
2009-01-16, 12:57 AM
if regular arrows are daggers does that mean large arrows are swords? you know just thinking aloud.

Colossal-sized arrows gogogo! Feathery lance-thingy.

tyckspoon
2009-01-16, 01:02 AM

They'd be larger-sized daggers, I think. You'd be stacking inappropriate size penalties onto the improvised weapons penalty, although there's also a fair argument that the improvised weapon penalty already covers any sort of bizarrely-sized object.

Since the whole point was that you can get an individual arrow for 1/50th the cost of a normal weapon, this does not seem to be a problem to me. Buy 10 or so; unless you have abnormally bad luck or an unfair die you should be about ready to upgrade your weapons by the time they all break anyway.

Magnor Criol
2009-01-16, 01:15 AM
...turn the arrows around and beat people with the feathered end...you'll do more damage that way.

Poke someone with the feather end, and let a Shocking Grasp surprise them. =P

Did I miss something? Why does he have to poke with the feathered end - why does that do more damage? What's wrong with running at them with a pointed stick (as long as they don't have a banana (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piWCBOsJr-w))?

Eloel
2009-01-16, 01:17 AM
The part that doesn't work, is enchanting arrows 1 by 1. They're always enchanted in 50s.
If you say you want a whole party to TWF those arrows, that may actually work :p

NEO|Phyte
2009-01-16, 01:19 AM
The part that doesn't work, is enchanting arrows 1 by 1. They're always enchanted in 50s.

"At least we'll have spares."

Signmaker
2009-01-16, 01:26 AM
Did I miss something? Why does he have to poke with the feathered end - why does that do more damage? What's wrong with running at them with a pointed stick (as long as they don't have a banana (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piWCBOsJr-w))?

It does more damage if you're a Drunken Master, at least. Also because feathers inducing electric shocks is funny. And obviously, because a 16-ton weight will fall on your head via lever.

zakk2to2
2009-01-16, 01:49 AM
They'd be larger-sized daggers, I think. You'd be stacking inappropriate size penalties onto the improvised weapons penalty, although there's also a fair argument that the improvised weapon penalty already covers any sort of bizarrely-sized object.

actually because a dagger is a light weapon it would actually be considered a one handed weapon when large it would take another step up for 2 handed and another after that for penaltys for the size.

tyckspoon
2009-01-16, 02:12 AM
actually because a dagger is a light weapon it would actually be considered a one handed weapon when large it would take another step up for 2 handed and another after that for penaltys for the size.

If it gets big enough to be considered more than 2-handed, you can't wield it at all. The penalties for changing its size still apply regardless of the handedness of the weapon- another -2 for each size category difference from the size it's supposed to be.

zakk2to2
2009-01-16, 02:22 AM
doh read the wrong section.

but on a sidenote an arrow is not a dagger it is said to be used as an improvised dagger not as a dagger thus when you use a large one it would not be a improvised large dagger it would most likely be an improvised short sword.

PinkysBrain
2009-01-16, 02:25 AM
So I figure the specific overrides general rule here.
Only if there is anything overridden ... there is no specific rule which says that improvised weapons don't break.

Eloel
2009-01-16, 04:52 AM
I thought Drunken Master reduced penalties for improvised stuff. Now, what else?

MickJay
2009-01-16, 08:44 AM
Can ballista missiles be enchanted? The improvised spear/lance idea sounds intriguing...