PDA

View Full Version : Is There An Online Battle Grid That Can Be Used For Free?!?

CrazedBanana
2009-01-15, 08:29 PM
Hi, i'm about to host a new Play by post game of D&D, but I can't find an online battle grid! Please post links or suggestions!

Fax Celestis
2009-01-15, 08:31 PM
Google the following:

iTabletop, MapTool, OpenRPG.

Install, heat to 400' F, serve.

Keld Denar
2009-01-15, 08:38 PM
+1 for OpenRPG. Heck, boot up OpenRPG and Skype (VoIP program, FREE!) and as long as everyone has headsets and doesn't afk too much, you can pretty much play a normal game of D&D as if you were face-to-face.

Townopolis
2009-01-15, 11:15 PM
If one of you can host, Maptool>OpenRPG. If none of you can host, you're stuck with Open.

I'm afraid Open is simply crude and unreliable when compared to Map. The only reason to use it is that Map needs at least 1 person who can host, and sometimes you don't have that.

The code to roll dice in Map is [#d#+#]. So, if you wanted to roll a bluff check and your modifier was +5, you'd type [1d20+5] into chat, brackets and all. This is the minimum information you need to be able to play using Maptool. However, I would recommend finding a tutorial, there's quite a bit more the program is capable of.

Kroy
2009-01-15, 11:22 PM
Another vote for OpenRPG over here!

Hawriel
2009-01-15, 11:43 PM
These look good. My friends and I tried Kloogie and Battlegrounds. We dont like them that much because they well crashed for us alot.

I would like to add somthing to the list.

Crystalball light. Its a dice roller with a chat window. Its a very cool tool you can have open rolls for all to see or set them to privat for individuals. You can down load the free demo which is perfect on its own for any D&D game. You can save up to 15 macros and use expresions for all sorte of rolls. IE you can set up a macro to do a full attack for a fighter with all mods for each individual roll. Its pritty cool.