PDA

View Full Version : [NWN2 OC/MOTB] Seeking opinion on Monk(30) Build (w/ Blazing Aura)

aikavari
2009-01-15, 10:32 PM
Hi guys,

I would like to seek your opinion on building a pure monk(30) for the original campaign and MOTB. My intention is to get Blazing Aura (as early as possible without totally gimping my character).

If you would ever so kindly provide your insight with regards to my feat and stat allocation and provide better alternatives without losing sight of the end goal which is Blazing Aura.

Here's the build:

Class: Monk
Race: Aasimar (for the WIS bonus)

Ability Scores:
STR: 14
DEX: 15(16) -- to qualify for Circle Kick (last one taken at epic levels)
CON: 10 -- slightly gimped CON
WIS: 20(26) -- Blazing Aura by lvl 21 :smallcool: (the godly level 1 AC nekkid is nice too)
INT: 8 -- paltry skills
CHA: 10 -- minimum allowable for Aasimar, else would've been dumped for INT.

Feat progression is as follows:

Pre-epic:
Luck of Heroes, WF(Unarmed Strike)(to help with totally gimped initial AB), Circle Kick, Blind Fight, Improved Crit (Unarmed Strike), Toughness(to help with gimped CON), Dodge(because I can't think of anything else)

Epic:
Blazing Aura :smallcool: , Epic Prowess(to help with AB), Armor Skin(to further improve my epic AC by this time :smallbiggrin:), and then since I can't think of anything else, Epic Toughness I, II, III and Rescue.

Skill points will go to Hide, Move Silently, and Tumble (wish I had space for Diplomacy for the OC).

What do you guys think? Am I about to step on a rusty nail with this build? :smallbiggrin:

JeminiZero
2009-01-15, 10:43 PM
This might belong in the Gaming Others (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26) section since its a video game.

You might want to take a look through this collection (http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Character_builds) first.

If you aren't too experienced with the game, give the Beginner's Cleric (http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Beginner%27s_Cleric_-_Ro%282%29%2CF%282%29%2CClr%2816%29%2CSL%2810%29) a try.

aikavari
2009-01-15, 10:47 PM
Sorry for that, newbie mistake :smalltongue:

Can someone help move the thread to the other forum please :smallsmile:

NecroRebel
2009-01-15, 11:14 PM
To me, it looks like your build will work in NWN2 and MoTB, but only because those 2 campaigns are so ludicrously easy. To me, it also looks like you're gimping your build unnecessarily.

A few changes I would make:

First, don't use Unarmed Strikes. A kama, or TWFing kamas, is better in essentially every way. For example, if you use a kama, you can get +2 and higher magic weapons, something that is impossible with unarmed strikes (at least, I never remember seeing +2 or higher gloves). A quarterstaff is probably even better, since then you can get higher enhancement bonuses and get some use out of Power Attack, but kamas are really the monk's weapon of choice.

Second... Um... Don't go for Blazing Aura. It sucks; +1d10 Fire damage on all attacks will turn into +0 on virtually everything you encounter due to resistances and immunities, as will the 1d6 Fire when enemies hit you.

With that in mind, don't increase your Wisdom like that. It's not that good. A better idea would be to drop Wis to 14 or so and pump up your Dexterity as much as possible, followed by taking Weapon Finess, thus allowing you to have a decent attack bonus while maintaining the same AC. Pumping Dex will also, if you invest in Great Dexterity a couple times, let you pick up Self-Concealment. 10% miss chance, all the time, is far better than any AC buff.

Fourth, since Charisma is completely useless for a Monk and Wisdom isn't particularly good, either, don't be an Aasimar. If you really, really want a race with LA, be an Earth or Water Genasi for stat boosts that are actually useful. Or, you know, be a race that doesn't naturally gimp itself like a human or shield dwarf, or even a half-elf.

Lastly, you're better off taking a class that doesn't naturally gimp itself, either, like anything besides Monk. Really, all of the reasons why Monks aren't good in PnP D&D apply to NWN2 Monks, except that they don't have all the utility of their tabletop counterparts due to a lack of available scrolls, wands, and such to cross-class UMD and lack of ability to pick up their allies corpses to run away with.

So... in closing, you're not about to step on a rusty nail with that build. No, you're actually using a wrecking ball to physically pound a rusty I-beam through your skull, and the only reason why you'd be able to get through the campaigns is because your NPC henchmen can carry even the most pathetic party member with even a moderate amount of strategy.

...Now I feel bad for tearing down someone's character concept :smallfrown: Really, if you want to play something like that, go for it. As mentioned above, even the most intentionally gimped character can get through those 2 campaigns with some difficulty by clever choices of henchmen and tactics. If you do keep this concept as is, the main change to your build I would suggest is taking Great Strength for your last 4 epic feats rather than Epic Toughness or Rescue, as +4 Str (+2 damage and maybe +2 AB) will help more than +90 HP and the Rescue power.

Arutema
2009-01-15, 11:54 PM
To me, it looks like your build will work in NWN2 and MoTB, but only because those 2 campaigns are so ludicrously easy. To me, it also looks like you're gimping your build unnecessarily.

A few changes I would make:

First, don't use Unarmed Strikes. A kama, or TWFing kamas, is better in essentially every way. For example, if you use a kama, you can get +2 and higher magic weapons, something that is impossible with unarmed strikes (at least, I never remember seeing +2 or higher gloves). A quarterstaff is probably even better, since then you can get higher enhancement bonuses and get some use out of Power Attack, but kamas are really the monk's weapon of choice.

DO use unarmed strikes, the MOTB campaign has some powerful monk gloves, and the ability to further enhance them with the crafting system.