PDA

View Full Version : 4e- What monsters do you use?

Asbestos
2009-01-16, 01:18 AM
So, DMs, are there any particular critters in the MM that you find the most appealing? Also, have you ever used the RPG stats for any of the miniatures, if so, are they remotely balanced/do you like any of them?

Myself, I love zombies... and swordwings for some odd reason. Really dislike the Berbalang, though it presents an interesting mechanic.

tcrudisi
2009-01-16, 01:34 AM
I'm a big fan of the Kobold. They rock in 4e, mostly because of Shifty. They are also much improved with that Dragon Magazine release, as it gives lots more Kobold monsters to choose from.

Tengu_temp
2009-01-16, 02:07 AM
Fire beetles. Lizard swarms.

Inyssius Tor
2009-01-16, 03:35 AM
I love the Deathjump Spider. Loads of fun.

The Ancient Gray Dragon looks fantastic, with that cascading petrification. Seriously, everyone who gets in the dragon's way is petrified (save ends, but a failed save spreads this effect to everyone within five squares), aftereffect: the target is immobilized and if he fails his save against that he's petrified again and this effect is spread to everyone within five squares--including these aftereffects. Ouch.

Canoloths (MotP) are pretty neat. They've got this tongue that can yank the enemy defender from four squares away to behind the canoloth--into a flanked position, and a demon front-line and the canoloth itself away from the weak-in-melee rest of the party. And their Tongue Seize is an at-will ability. Sure, your defender needs to be dazed or stunned, but... it's a minor action; two of them could really mess up a defender. Plus: nicely cinematic, I think. Fun.

allonym
2009-01-16, 08:20 AM
I second zombies, they're awesome. Rotwing zombies are a favourite.
Legion Devil minions are really fun, teleporting minions makes for lots of fun.
I hate kobolds. So much.
Demons kind of suck. I threw a pair of elite Evistro Demons (basic bodyguard template) at the party as bodyguards for an artillery. They had poor defenses and to hit, even for brutes, and when they hit their damage still sucked.
I had fun with the eladrin in the monster manual, too, in an encounter space with lots of tight corridors.
Oh, forgot. Ghouls are very fun, make for highly tactical encounters. Advanced a ghoul to elite, claws - immobilise, action point, bite - stun. That kept the party tied up for a while.

Eredo
2009-01-16, 09:04 AM
Dragons, Dragonspawn, Dragonborn and Kobolds! Basicly anything Lizardy, I'm running a campaign right now on that exact subject.

Asbestos
2009-01-16, 10:10 AM
Fire beetles. Lizard swarms.

So basically you like to punish the poor level 1 PCs?

Hzurr
2009-01-16, 12:13 PM
Our party is currently lvl 6, and we started at level 1. So far, we've had pretty traditional enemies, (mainly because we've been doing primarily modules).

Kobalds
Goblins
Hobgoblins
Skeletons
Zombies
Deugar
Lizardfolk
Shadar-Kai

And early on, a surprising number of slimes and oozes.