PDA

View Full Version : Character advice / ideas

Magnor Criol
2009-01-16, 02:33 AM
So I'm going to be in a new campaign starting Saturday, and I don't really know exactly what I wanted to be. So, I turn to y'all for ideas.

What I really want here: some fun, interesting ideas to try out here, featuring a few non-core tricks that are fun to play, since I haven't gotten to play much non-core stuff yet.

I'm thinking cleric, for heal & buff support. I think I might like to play an aasimar with the Healing and Death (or Repose, from Sandstorm) domains - sort of a cleric focused on the idea of life & death as a whole. I've eyed several feats from Complete Champion, especially Healing Devotion. A crafting focus could be interesting as well. Feats like Toughening Transmutation and Cloudy Conjuration from Complete Mage seem intriguing too. In general, the idea of the reserve feats appeals to me, though most of them won't be available to me for a bit, especially if I do go aasimar.

Any ideas? I'm open to anything, from suggestions for this build to things completely tangential that would just be fun to play.

The facts:
Right now, not including me, we've got a fighter, a bard, and either a druid or a rogue. I'm not sure about the last two, but I know the fighter and bard.
All other players are pretty low-power players (as am I, for that matter).
We're starting at level 2, stats are rolled.
The DM is new to DMing, though not to DnD.
Regarding allowed material, her exact words to me, via email, were
"I'm pretty much alright with whatever you want to play, I'm not very familiar with many classes outside the three core books, but if you promise to play nice you can pretty much run whatever you want." So to avoid a hassle for all concerned, I don't want to play things like ToB, ToM, incarnum, or psionics - I want to learn them someday, but this really isn't the time. Personally, I have access to nearly every book, though.
The campaign seems like it's going to have orcs and goblinoids as the main enemy, with lots of fighting in a war-ravaged land.

mabriss lethe
2009-01-16, 02:48 AM
You've got plenty of potential healing support in the party already with the Bard and the Druid, (not to mention the rogue if he has a high UMD). I'd go for an arcanist of some variety. (warlock or DFA has my vote)