PDA

View Full Version : Kobold Dragonfire Adept Question

Will_Shakespear
2009-01-16, 03:53 AM
Hi there,

does a dragonfire adept kobold loose his breath weapon, while in humanoid shape via an invocation? Thanks for your input.

Bye

Will

Tempest Fennac
2009-01-16, 03:56 AM
I don;t think you would lose it due to how the breath is class based (if it was a race feature, I think you would lose it).

Will_Shakespear
2009-01-16, 03:59 AM
The breath weapon is a supernatural class feature here.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-01-16, 04:00 AM
It depends on what method you're using to change forms, but typically you never lose class-based special attacks or special qualities, or feats. That means you'd most likely keep a class-based breath weapon regardless of form, though a racial breath attack such as that of a Half-Dragon would be lost in another form.

wadledo
2009-01-16, 01:31 PM
No, it does not.
If you had any kobold feats, like dragonwrought or the one that gets you wings, then I believe you would lose those for the duration, but since it is a class ability, no.
Another way of looking at it would be "does a wizard loses it's spellcasting if it uses Alter Self?"

Draz74
2009-01-16, 01:35 PM
I dunno, I think the confusion is valid, and that DM ruling will be necessary. What you guys are all saying makes sense, but if you look carefully at the RAW:

Change Shape

A creature with this special quality has the ability to assume the appearance of a specific creature or type of creature (usually a humanoid), but retains most of its own physical qualities. A true seeing spell or ability reveals the creature’s natural form. A creature using change shape reverts to its natural form when killed, but separated body parts retain their shape. A creature cannot use change shape to take the form of a creature with a template. Changing shape results in the following changes to the creature:
[snip]
The creature retains all other special attacks and qualities of its original form, except for breath weapons and gaze attacks.

(Emphasis added.)

So, by RAW, it comes down to a debate over whether the breath weapon is "of the DFA's form." Pretty vague. I would rule that indeed the breath weapon is retained because it is a class ability, but I think DMs would be within their rights to interpret this passage otherwise.

UserClone
2009-01-16, 08:17 PM
The breath weapon doesn't come by virtue of form, it comes by virtue of it being that class, the DFA. If he was an awakened dire weasel, he would still retain his breath weapon when using his humanoid form SLA, because the breath weapon is a feature of the class, not of the form of a dire weasel. Not that complicated OR ambiguous, really.