PDA

View Full Version : Springheel [PrC]

Jarl
2006-10-17, 01:54 AM
Okay, here we go. Some modifications to the mythology to fit my gameworld. Short version: Pulp Spiderman.

Springheel
A 5-level Prestige Class

"... the unmanly villain has succeeded in depriving seven ladies of their senses, two of whom are not likely to recover, but to become burdens to their families.

At one house the man rang the bell, and on the servant coming to open door, this worse than brute stood in no less dreadful figure than a spectre clad most perfectly. The consequence was that the poor girl immediately swooned, and has never from that moment been in her senses.

The affair has now been going on for some time, and, strange to say, the papers are still silent on the subject. The writer has reason to believe that they have the whole history at their finger-ends but, through interested motives, are induced to remain silent."

Deep in the heart of the Gyro desert, there existed a small tribe of Elves known as the "Springheels". They, like many nomadic desert tribes, subsisted off the pillaging of travelers. What set them apart from other bandit tribes, however, was their striking acrobatic capabilities. Leaping, zipping through the air, they were often referred to by some as Sandhoppers.
Hundreds of years later, in the City of Blazing Light, reports began to crop up of a figure in black, flitting through the skyline of the metropolis like a sparrow.
Seems the legacy passed on.

Requirements
Race- Elf-blood
Alignment- Non-Lawful
Modifiers- Dex (+4) Str (+4)
Skills- Tumble 5, Jump 5, Craft (Alchemy) 5, Craft (Trap) 10, Climb 5, Use Rope 5, Move Silently 5, Escape Artist 5
Feats- Quick Draw, Run, Weapon Proficiency (Whip)

Class Features
Hit Die- d6
BAB/Saves- As Rogue
Class Skills- The Class Skills of the Springheel (and the relevant ability) are Tumble (Dex), Jump (Str), Craft (Alchemy) (Int), Craft (Trap) (Int), Climb (Str), Use Rope (Dex), Move Silently (Dex), Escape Artist (Dex)
Skills Per Level- 5+Int Mod

Proficiencies- A Springheel gains no proficiencies. If a Springheel wears armor heavier than Light, he loses his class abilities. A Springheel with the Two-Weapon Fighting feat may use two whips with the standard penalties.

Jumpin' Jacks (Ex)- A Springheel adds his hit die as a modifier to any Jump or Tumble checks.

Spring in Your Step (Ex)- A Springheel may construct a Spring-Device for use on his feet which will allow him to increase the length of his jumps. This device must be uniquely calibrated to his anatomy. Any other character, even one polymorphed into the Springheel, may not use the device. Any attempt at doing so will result in 1d6 damage for every 5 feet they attempt to jump.
The Sping-device increases the length of a Springheel's jump considerably. For every 3 hit dice the character has, multiply the maximum Long jump distance and High jump distance by two, while keeping the same DC. For example, a Rogue 5/Springheel 1 would have a maximum Long Jump distance of 120 feet. The DC would be 30. For a thirty foot jump, the DC would be 8. A Rogue 5/Springheel 5 would have a maximum High Jump altitude of 64, with a DC of 32.
This does not cap at any level. A Rogue 15/Springheel 5 would have a Max High Jump of 512 feet and a Max Long Jump of 1920 feet, DC 30. This is a little over a third of a mile.
These devices take three weeks to build and test. Each device lasts one week +1 for every point the Craft DC was exceeded by before crumbling under the strain of its activities. The Craft DC is 20, and costs 2500 GP in materials.

Smoke on the Water (Ex)- Starting at second level, a Springheel knows how to make small smoke grenades which can be used to surprise his enemies or make for a dramatic exit. Each grenade functions as the Fog Cloud spell (caster level 1 +1 for each point the DC is exceeded by), but may be used in water. The Craft DC is 20, with 100 gold in materials spent on each.

Fire in the Sky (Ex)- At third level, a Springheel becomes a talented fire-eater. A small, one-use device (usable only by the character) that fits into his mouth can simulate a dragon's breath.
The flame device creates a cone of fire (10 feet long) that deals 2d4 damage. Each creature struck must make a Fort save (DC 5+Hit die of the Springheel) or become Stunned.

Skyslinging (Ex)- At fifth level, a Springheel may add his Use Rope ranks as an Insight Modifier to his Attack Bonus when using a whip. Furthermore, using a grappling hook counts as a move action, and a whip may be used as a grappling hook (with a 15 foot length). A Springheel may draw a rope as a move action.

-I get this nagging feeling something's missing... Oh well.

Triaxx
2006-10-17, 09:54 PM
How about:

Jackrabbit(Ex):At second level, a spring heel gains +2 bonus to his dodge. At fifth level this increases to +4 for a total of +8.

Halcyon_Dax
2006-10-17, 11:29 PM
Triaxx, 2 + 4 does not = 8.

And + 8 dodge bonus to AC is absolutely massive, considering it stacks with everything.

I like the class, pretty crazy, good reference, etc etc.

Aside from the insane jumping, maybe its a little underpowered? I dont know. A bit of a dodge bonus might be alright.

Or perhaps a Jump Check based ability useable a certain amount of times per day to avoid an attack.

Like, 3 times per day, a springheel can attempt to make a leaping dodge. He may declare this after the attack is rolled, but before damage is delt. DC= the opponents modified attack. If the springheel succeeds, he avoids all damage from that attack.

Ing
2006-10-18, 02:29 AM
I should post a copy of the Springglad monster I made up.

Triaxx
2006-10-18, 08:04 AM
No, the total bonus would be +4. I somehow got it stuck that Dodge is +4, not +1. The simplest solution is to make it not stack with dodge.

The most effective method of hitting, or killing him would be to use magic.

Jarl
2006-10-27, 02:27 PM
Reformatted.

-I'll have to consider the dodging/jumping doge stuff.

Ditto
2006-11-03, 02:34 AM
I feel like Kip Up from the Thief-Acrobat PrC and the feat Dive for Cover might fit this class.

Fizban
2006-11-05, 06:09 PM
So....assuming max ranks of use rope (which for this is guy is obvious), you get effectivly more than double max BAB with a whip?
Okay then ................................................. um, no.
And whats the price/craft DC of the fire breath device?

Triaxx
2006-11-05, 08:25 PM
Let's not forget, that the Spring Heel, using his super jumps, is able to become the fastest thing moving. A Neutral good Rogue/Barbarian/Springheel would be able to enter a battle with a massive jump, hammer his foes apart, and leap away when the battle was over or if it got too difficult. Even if you're a flying character, you're going to have an incredibly difficult time trying to catch him.